[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Explosion in Makati City

Cyclones

Stay or Go?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cyclones and family go back to Kentucky.

• Yes
    • No

So most of the veterans here know that I relocated to the Philippines (Cebu) back in July. Two weeks ago I was promoted and relocated to Manila (Makati City) which I was pleased to discover was a bustling financial and commercial hub that frankly reminded me of Chicago and Manhattan. Well, today, I wake up to the news that a bomb has gone off at Glorietta Mall in Makati. Glorietta Mall along with Greenbelt mall is a trendy shopping complex...you could spend a day or two there and not see all the stores. Its less than a km from our apartment. My wife, son and I have been there 10 of the 15 days for either food, shopping, or groceries since we relocated. Our initial reaction was to head for the airport. After digesting it all, we're not sure what to do...does the law of averages say that it likely won't happen again for awhile, or what? Part of me was thinking, lets say we flash back 6 years, its the summer of 2001. We are living in New York, but get a killer offer in Manila and decide to relocate. A month later, a bomb goes off and kills some people, we say, to hell with this, I'm going back to my cushy office in the WTC, this wouldnt happen in the US. Of course we know what did happen. My question is this....are we any more likely to die here than in Lexington KY? Part of me believes that when its time for us to go, we do, regardless of where we happen to be in life. We're a little shaken by it all and our family and friends back home are worried sick. Comments/thoughts/opinions appreciated.

Explosion

Edited by Cyclones

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Link didn't work.

I'd like to know more about the bombing I guess. Was it claimed by some group? Was it aimed at anyone in particular (Americans, Westerners, etc.)? Hard to say... but I still like my chances of not being bombed back in the US more so than abroad.

There isn't an open Islamic insurgency in Kentucky. Don't f*ck with your family's safety just for $$$.

uh, you f*ck with your family's safety for convenience or money no matter where you are or what you are doing . (for example, have you ever driven with your family in a car?)

The question he should be asking is, "Is the extra money worth the (potential) extra risk?"

Edited by wiegie

uh, you f*ck with your family's safety for convenience or money no matter where you are or what you are doing . (for example, have you ever driven with your family in a car?)

The question he should be asking is, "Is the extra money worth the (potential) extra risk?"

Extra risk is the key. There is inherent risk in just living daily life. That is a given, and I am surprised you are calling me out on it.. My statement above reflect the risk above an beyond that inherent in daily life, that you have no matter where you live.

Extra risk is the key. There is inherent risk in just living daily life. That is a given, and I am surprised you are calling me out on it.. My statement above reflect the risk above an beyond that inherent in daily life, that you have no matter where you live.

Risk is risk is risk--the analysis is the same no matter whether you classify it as "just living daily life" or otherwise.

Glad to hear you are ok. Can't really give you any specific advice, but if you ever come back, Kansas is a pretty safe place. We don't really have anything people want, and if you ride a bicycle the terrain is pretty flat.

To give a real-life comparison, my Swiss mother-in-law was very happy that I didn't end up getting a job in Kansas because she was scared that her daughter would be killed by a tornado.

Risk is risk is risk--the analysis is the same no matter whether you classify it as "just living daily life" or otherwise.

Is this a statistical thing? Because I would assume there are levels of risk affected by the circumstances of the situation. Extreme examples would be it would carry MORE risk living in say, Baghdad, than Springfield, MO. So you would figure a cost/benefit based on the amount of risk difference between the two choices. Are you actually suggesting the risk is a stable variable, not fluctuating per situation?

I'm confused. :D

Is this a statistical thing? Because I would assume there are levels of risk affected by the circumstances of the situation. Extreme examples would be it would carry MORE risk living in say, Baghdad, than Springfield, MO. So you would figure a cost/benefit based on the amount of risk difference between the two choices. Are you actually suggesting the risk is a stable variable, not fluctuating per situation?

I'm confused. :D

No--I am saying that doing cost-benefit analysis is the same no matter where you are.

(As for Baghad, for the right price I would definitely go live there for a while.)

Having gone through something similar with the DC sniper stuff, I would say stay the course. Running and hiding is never the answer, even when you have family to think about. I personally think that wiegie has the right of it here. It is a risk analysis and you have to determine how much extra risk there is in that situation. What you do not want to do is to have a knee jerk reaction to a single incident.

Having gone through something similar with the DC sniper stuff, I would say stay the course. Running and hiding is never the answer, even when you have family to think about. I personally think that wiegie has the right of it here. It is a risk analysis and you have to determine how much extra risk there is in that situation. What you do not want to do is to have a knee jerk reaction to a single incident.

This is spot on. Does a single bombing (and we don't know the details of that yet) cause you to ship out? Probably not. If Manila turns into a total war zone, that's a completely different situation.

Personally, I would stay put.

A propane tank blew up in Tacoma on the 6th of October, should I pack up and move to Canada?

I wasn't really after the sarcasm, but you're right, at least to an extent.

There is risk in most of the things we do. The big difference is, in Lexington KY, I don't ever have even a shred of worry when I go out and do something. This incident now causes us to mentally be at the very least unsure, and at most scared, when we leave the friendly confines of our condo. I agree with Ursa and Kid...one incident does not a trend make. Our likely course of action will be to stay, but if this happens again in the near future, we will strongly consider leaving.

You all who are proponents of staying may want to look up the insurgency there. It isn't a single serial killer like the DC gunman. It is an organized army looking for a coup de tat. Hardly comparable.

From a brief look at Google, it seems there are two "insurgencies" there, one Islamic and the other communist. Neither would make me pack up and go at the present time, frankly.

As with any place one lives, it is wise to do research on travel destinations. Just as I would steer clear of certain areas in US cities, I would steer clear of certain areas on the islands.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

From a brief look at Google, it seems there are two "insurgencies" there, one Islamic and the other communist. Neither would make me pack up and go at the present time, frankly.

As with any place one lives, it is wise to do research on travel destinations. Just as I would steer clear of certain areas in US cities, I would steer clear of certain areas on the islands.

what 'insurgency' would make you leave?

unlike bad parts of us cities, these insurgencies target places that appear safe. shopping malls, airports, businesses, restaurants.

No--I am saying that doing cost-benefit analysis is the same no matter where you are.

(As for Baghad, for the right price I would definitely go live there for a while.)

How about Afghanistan?

Seriously, you know what is up. You are far more likely as is you family to be gutted and beheaded in the Philippines than in Kentucky. It is a cost benefit analysis. I recently turned down a job in Oklahoma for nearly the same reason. Tome being in a safe, comfy place is worth more than all the money in the world. To some people money is more important. It just depends where you are in life.