[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

faux painting, wood panelling, etc

muck

Here's the deal...

Our family room is dated. The house we bought 3-4 months ago hasn't been updated in about 30 years. Specifically, the walls are tongue-in-groove walnut panelling. The floor is a nasty carpet. Large rock fireplace (best part of the room by a mile). Dark, rough-cut wood beams.

Current plan is to do something (paint?) the walls because it's too expensive to sheetrock them. Floors will be hickory.

We're looking for any suggestions anyone of you may have with regard to how to deal with the walls.

I'm remembering that someone here (Sacrebleu?) was a faux painter. Thoughts? Suggestions? PM me or email me if you'd rather.

Danke.

Don't fool yourself Muck, there may just be sheetrock behind it :D Just last fall I bought back the house I grew up in that my father built. Anyway, I knew there was sheetrock behind the real wood paneling in the rec room. I removed the paneling instead of painting it, now I know it's the cheap popular thing to do, but my wife and I think it looks cheap and tacky so we were not going to paint it. It was supposed to be an inexpensive project, tear off the paneling do a little touch up mud and tapeing but I found termites :D So I got a brand new theatre room with a Samsung 52" Plasma with surround sound, new carpet and tiled half the room up to the fireplace. Take off a lightswitch cover or plug and see what's behind there, you might be surprised.

Edited by Hat Trick

Take off a lightswitch cover or plug and see what's behind there, you might be surprised.

Already done that...

And, this isn't cheap paneling. It's 1/2" rough-cut walnut, tongue in groove, with various widths ranging from 3" to 6" wide. The folks that paid to have this put up spent some coin.

Already done that...

And, this isn't cheap paneling. It's 1/2" rough-cut walnut, tongue in groove, with various widths ranging from 3" to 6" wide. The folks that paid to have this put up spent some coin.

True, and the wood might actually be worth something. Try putting something up on your local Craigslist (and take photos of what it looks like before CD and his crew come in and pull it down :D )

Already done that...

okay, well mine was real wood paneling as well, but not what you describe. It does not sound like paneling to me. Paneling are sheets of wood that overlap. I also have what you describe in my great room, but no way will I ever tear it off, it was expensive and it looks awesome with the wood decor in my home.

We just got some new furniture.

The walls look great ... a very warm room.

However, because my wife has allergies, we need to get rid of all carpet in the house. So, to have wood floors, wood walls and wood beams on the ceiling may be a bit much. So, we're trying to figure out what to do in that room...and we're not inclined to put tile down...

ISMHO, faux paint jobs, sponging, etc. do not look very good unless you want to pay a small ransom for a real professional. And I can't imagine a paint job like that over paneling anyway... I think you paint it a solid off-white color or remove it.

My folks used to have a room with similar paneling. They removed it and kept the wood for odd jobs - I used most of it to repair their barn roof which also happened to use tongue and groove. Anyway, as mentioned, that stuff is valuable. It shouldn't be too hard to take down and sell.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

ISMHO, faux paint jobs, sponging, etc. do not look very good unless you want to pay a small ransom for a real professional. And I can't imagine a paint job like that over paneling anyway... I think you paint it a solid off-white color or remove it.

My folks used to have a room with similar paneling. They removed it and kept the wood for odd jobs - I used most of it to repair their barn roof which also happened to use tongue and groove. Anyway, as mentioned, that stuff is valuable. It shouldn't be too hard to take down and sell.

You could always put the wood paneling on your car, that was popular at one point as well...

Be prepared to buy alot of paint if you plan to paint those wood panels. Wood sucks up ALOT of paint and IMO looks tacky.

I just bought a house and the entire basement had wood paneling and I painted it and hated the outcome. So I re-sheetrocked everything. The cost was minimal since me and my buds did all the labor but it still wasnt cheap.

Be prepared to buy alot of paint if you plan to paint those wood panels. Wood sucks up ALOT of paint and IMO looks tacky.

I just bought a house and the entire basement had wood paneling and I painted it and hated the outcome. So I re-sheetrocked everything. The cost was minimal since me and my buds did all the labor but it still wasnt cheap.

The painted wood paneling in my house looks far from tacky. Personal preference and probably a product of the quality of work, I suppose. :D

Edited by darin3

The painted wood paneling in my house looks far from tacky. Personal preference and probably a product of the quality of work, I suppose. :D

I agree 100% personal preference. Didn't mean to sound negative just what I thought about it.

Plus: I did the paint job so maybe I FUBAR'd it

Edited by MrTed46

As I was typing "tiling the floor probably isn't an option", I thought to myself "maybe tiling is an option".

So, I called Muckette. Apparently, tiling is an option. We'll be thinking about it now...tiling = big pain in the arse (vs. installing nice pre-finished 3/4" thick hardwood floors).

This is getting out of hand.

As I was typing "tiling the floor probably isn't an option", I thought to myself "maybe tiling is an option".

So, I called Muckette. Apparently, tiling is an option. We'll be thinking about it now...tiling = big pain in the arse (vs. installing nice pre-finished 3/4" thick hardwood floors).

:D Primer the wood and give it a good 3 coats and it'll look fine.

How big is the room? It's actually very simple if you know what you're doing and adds some serious coin to your house worth.

How big is the room? It's actually very simple if you know what you're doing and adds some serious coin to your house worth.

About 500-600 sft.

Which by todays standards means your house won't depreciate quite as fast...

Actually, our property should appreciate at a reasonable rate (plus sweat equity my wife and I are dumping into the place) as some monster properties are going up less than 1.5 miles from us (I'll drive by them every day on my way to work).