[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commissioners: What to do about owners that wander off?

doctor_stoppage

I'm digging the commissioner threads I've seen this year, so let me throw this one out there;

I have an owner who apparently wandered off. Maybe he saw something shiny. Hasn't set a lineup in 2 weeks, leaving players on bye in the lineup when he had perfectly good backups on the bench.

Yahoo gives me a commissioner tool that allows me to set the roster for any team in the league.

The question: Should I use this power to at least switch out his bye week players for bench players, or even further, to make add/drops going forward?

My take: No, I shouldn't do anything. I was going to at least switch out his bye week players for him, but it occurred to me that this probably isn't fair to the rest of the league. Because he's been absent for 2 weeks, 2 other owners have gotten cheap wins. If I start setting his lineup now, I see that as an unfair 1 game advantage I'm giving the 2 guys that beat him the last 2 weeks - who just happen to be in 1st and 2nd place.

Whaddaya think?

It goes without saying (as I say it anyway) that this dude is not welcome back next year.

Well, while your correct is saying it isn't fair to the rest of the league if you set his lineup due to the fact he's already given away 2 easy wins. What do you do about the 5 previous opponents he's faced with a full lineup or better yet, what about the opportunity some teams get playing him 2 times in the season while others only get to face him once?

Nothing is fair, but there is a "proper" way to do things. As commish, you have to do what is best for your league, if that is giving away wins , so be it, or you could find an owner willing to step in and set his lineup outside your league for the sake of trying to run a competitive and integrity filled league.

Just curious if this was a pay league?

Negative on that. Free league I run for my office. Deadbeat owner is the college-age kid of a coworker who also has a team. I can almost forgive the kid... first year at college in Denver, and a die-hard baseball fan. So if I had to guess, the "something shiny" that distracted him is probably the Colorado Rockies in the world series + all the new co-eds in his life. Yowza.

Negative on that. Free league I run for my office. Deadbeat owner is the college-age kid of a coworker who also has a team. I can almost forgive the kid... first year at college in Denver, and a die-hard baseball fan. So if I had to guess, the "something shiny" that distracted him is probably the Colorado Rockies in the world series + all the new co-eds in his life. Yowza.

Can't blame him. Ideally find another owner though if you can or get mom / dad to call him.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Treat them like an employee who hasn't called in two weeks.

Replace them.

A good idea, but I don't see any way to do that in Yahoo. No commissioner tools that I see allow me to kick someone and transfer the team to a new Yahoo login. I could kick teams pre-draft (and did in one league), but not now.

I think he'd have to voluntarily hand over his Yahoo login info for me to give it to someone else.

Also, wouldn't that be the same kind of unfair to everyone else? Last 2 weeks were cheap wins for his opponents, but he does have a pretty solid team otherwise.

have the owner playing that team play the average of the rest of the league...

if the owner playing the absentee wins... consider it a win... if the absentee wins, consider it a loss for both of them

Interesting idea! But I have a couple of issues with that that I don't see any way around;

1. It's not a manual league, it's Yahoo. I have no way to force a loss-loss, or even a win-loss versus the average of the league.

2. How can I be sure the kid hasn't wandered back in, but liked his lineup the way it is this/that week (no byes this week for example), and just left it alone?

I dunno. The more I think about it, the more I think I have to leave the situation completely alone...

we set a fine for leaving in players in that are on bye or out before the weekend. When you're playing for a nice chunk of change, handing someone a win is a BS and kinda fishy. the fine's go in a pot that is given to the team with the high total score on the year.

we set a fine for leaving in players in that are on bye or out before the weekend. When you're playing for a nice chunk of change, handing someone a win is a BS and kinda fishy. the fine's go in a pot that is given to the team with the high total score on the year.

the the cat does not care about the league or his buddies... what makes you think that he will care to pay a fine?

I only faced a situation like this once in the local league that I have been commish of for many years - a new owner one season was active for the first 3 weeks of the season, then just lost interest or whatever & submitted no lineup the next 3 weeks, did not respond to emails/phone calls, etc. At the time we had no rule in place whereby the last valid lineup carried forward if no starters were submitted for the next week - so the 3 teams he faced during the weeks that this owner submitted no lineup won by forfeit.

After the 3rd straight no show week, I booted the owner & set his record to 0-14 for the season ... this was a league where each team played the others twice ... so every owner got 2 free wins ... as I tossed out the results of the first 3 weeks of the season where the deadbeat had actually sent in a lineup.

Seemed like the only solution that would be fair to every owner in the league.

well, once the Sox 'sweep' the Rockies (could be over Sunday night...but doubt it...most likely will go 6 or 7)....he could be back....!!

I would give his first 5 opponents wins. Did he actually beat anyone in the first 5 weeks? I would further treat him as a non-owner. Can you lock him out of his team? I think (even in a free league) he has lost the right to play if he is not at a minimum filling in for his bye weeks. Just lock his starting lineup at whatever it is now and if he happens to beat someone - then that blows for the owner he beat, but at least that owner faced the same squad everyone else did....except for the bye weeks anyway. On second thought....I like what "ts" had to say.....treat that absentee owner as a bye week for the entire league - no one loses to that owner.

KO'd

:D

If it’s a free league… who cares?. Let it go, and when someone gets a cheap win let them give the guy crap about it.

I guess I do. It's a free "starter" league for many of my coworkers. Those that like it might join other "better" leagues in future years. It's how I started out.

Also, just because it's free doesn't mean I don't want to do the right thing by these players, ya know?

I would give his first 5 opponents wins. Did he actually beat anyone in the first 5 weeks?

2-4-1, with 2 of those loses coming in the last 2 weeks when there were Bye issues. It's not a bad roster. I just wish the kid would play;

Donovan McNabb

Reggie Wayne

Donald Driver

Braylon Edwards

Willie Parker

Jamal Lewis

Antonio Gates

Laurence Maroney

Devery Henderson

Heath Miller

Eddie Kennison

Daunte Culpepper

You are right...not a bad lineup at all. In regards to your point about caring because you view it as a starter league, that's all the more reason to not let others be disillussioned into thinking that this is proper behavior for an owner.

KO'd

I guess I do. It's a free "starter" league for many of my coworkers. Those that like it might join other "better" leagues in future years. It's how I started out.

Also, just because it's free doesn't mean I don't want to do the right thing by these players, ya know?

It's already done. Learn a lesson in setting up the rules for next year. When you commish for years, you always piss someone off when there's an issue and you make the decision. This wasn't covered, so technically it's within the rules to tank, and if you decide something should change then put it to a vote, but it has to be 100% in favor of the change. Change the rules next year, but not this year. It's free... all about bragging rights. If someone wins the SB because someone bailed on a free league... meh... who cares? Really? It's only about bragging rights, and if you go back and try and do something retroactive just because you think it's the right thing to do it'll backfire, cause you'll have to piss someone off. If it's not in the rules, then it's game on... let it go and fix it next year.