[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

January 26, 1986

Caveman_Nick

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What?

And I'm surprised Menudo hasn't responded yet too. :D

I really don't want to get into it. The Bengals, and most of the Bengals fans have said that it wasn't a cheap shot. But, for some reason, Caveman Nick thinks that the consensus is that it was a cheap shot. IWhat is the point of arguing something from 2 years ago ?

Edited by Menudo

I really don't want to get into it. The Bengals, and most of the Bengals fans have said that it wasn't a cheap shot. But, for some reason, Caveman Nick thinks that the consensus is it was. What is the point of arguing something from 2 years ago ?

in your avatar....is that your son waving around bill leavy's penalty flag?

My point is obviously to simple for your mind. It is called sportsmanship. If the coach of my son's junior football league were to ever let the team keep throwing or handing off to the best player and run the score up 70 - 0, I would pull my son from the squad. That is not how you teach youth sportsmanship. Now, as fans of NFL football....these kids will watch the games just like you and I. I watch most games with my son. He pays attention. He asked why a coach would ALLOW his team to score so many points....especially when he saw NE went for it on 4th and 2 up 42 points. Maybe, the point is lost on you because you don't have kids....or aren't responsible for molding the competitive mind to be fierce...but also fair. When someone is beat, they are beat....that is why the created TKO's in boxing...

So maybe the NFL should come up with point differential markers. When a team is up by 30 points with a quarter left, call the game? Something like that work for you?

Or perhaps did they create TKOs to keep boxers from getting hurt...?

I remember the year leading up to Superbowl XX in the NFL mainly for 2 reasons. First, even though I had known a little bit about the Pats, it was the year that I became a football fan. It was a great year in Boston sports, and I was already a big Celtic fan. I paid a little bit of attention to the Bruins, and started paying attention to baseball as well. Up until that '85 season I had only really paid close attention to basketball. So this season of Patriots football was kind of a trial by fire season, trying to keep up with the craziness of it all. The second reason was litstening to people constantly bashing Tony Eason. I didn't really understand why. I didn't know as much about the game then and could only really see that Eason had quarterbacked the team into the Superbowl What was so bad about that? These days I would recommend someone asking the same question to ask that question of Rex Grossman, if they could find him hiding in the corner of a Chicago dive bar wishing he could smuggle a bottle of Grey Goose into Brian Greise's locker without getting intercepted by security on his way there.

That season was fun for me, up until the Superbowl actually began and I saw what was among the worst beatings I ever saw a football team take. Superbowl XX was painful to watch as a Pats fan. It started out great after the Franklin field goal and a nice, cushy 3-0 lead. Unfortunately the Pats would not see another scoring opportunity until the 4th quarter in complete garbage time. That team was dominated like a willing slave to a 6' tall leatherclad mistress with a whip fettish. It was like the Patriots offense was running into a stone wall all day, managing 7 yards of rushing offense for the game and giving up 7 sacks, including a Safety to the Bears D. The first half after that FG was a nightmare. from Wiki:

That game set some expectations for me in terms of what I expect from football teams on the field. That is show up and play like you deserve to be on the field or don't show up at all.

As a 14 year old kid, I never complained about the game. I sat stunned watching how good the Bears were. I wasn't happy, and maybe even allowed myself to stray into the slightly depressed zone for 3 or 4 minutes. But I realized that it was just a game, and a professional game. I have never, not on that day or since, complained about the excellence of a professional sports team save perhaps to my Red Sox buddies and then admittedly out of jealousy of the Damn Yankees (Funny thing to write today :D ). And even then I was just frustrated by how good they were and never thought that they should try to be 'less good' or not put in a complete effort for all 27 outs. I just wanted my Red Sox to be better.

I expect every professional sports team to give it their all for the entire game they play. The only time I will complain about this is when a team gives less. It's why we buy tickets, and watch and support teams.

I don't have the time or inclination to go respond to all of the threads regarding the Patriots and their 'scoring when they aren't supposed to', or whatever the heck people are trying to argue. The fact is that they are playing excellent football for 60 minutes every game, and I am happy because it is what I expect a team that I am a fan of and support to do when I invest my time and money into them. How can anyone expect less?

:D

do you have kids? are you going to teach them to approach competition the way belichick does? cheat, and when you get caught cheating, get mad and "show everybody" by being a classless pr!ck? i guess you probably will. most likely, new england is siring a whole generation of belichicks and ugly tunas. great.

This is an absolutely stupid argument. Tom Brady is far and away my favorite athlete but do you think I will teach my kids that you should have premarital sex and it is ok to have a kid with a woman you are not married to? When I have kids I will do what sane parents do. Let them know sports are for fun not for role models. And that in sports no matter the outcome as long as you do the best you can then you can be content. I will have people that do more important things than coach or throw a ball be the people my kids look up to.

This is an absolutely stupid argument. Tom Brady is far and away my favorite athlete but do you think I will teach my kids that you should have premarital sex and it is ok to have a kid with a woman you are not married to? When I have kids I will do what sane parents do. Let them know sports are for fun not for role models. And that in sports no matter the outcome as long as you do the best you can then you can be content. I will have people that do more important things than coach or throw a ball be the people my kids look up to.

The whole "I'm an athlete not a role model" thing is all well and good when it comes to how they lead their personal lives. However, I don't think it's asking too much for them to at least be the standard bearers for the freaking sport they play in. Besides, just because it's your job to teach your kids right from wrong, does not mean that you shouldn't be pissed when the guy who's poster is hanging on their wall undermines those efforts.

Oh, and the whole pre-marital sex bit...well, never mind.

Edited by detlef

so you're gonna root and cheer for scumbags yourself, but make sure your kids idolize decent people? ok.

i dunno, i don't really want my kids to look at pro athletes and coaches as role models when it comes to dating and the like. but if i have a kid playing pee wee football, i might like for them to be able to look up to these guys AS football players and coaches, people who play the game the right way. most of the players and coaches in the NFL set an excellent example in that regard, thankfully. belichick sets the example that cheating and being an ass hole are the way to come out on top.

So maybe the NFL should come up with point differential markers. When a team is up by 30 points with a quarter left, call the game? Something like that work for you?

The NFL seemed to be doing pretty well with regard to sportsmanship until Belichick decided to throw a temper tantrum after the league (gasp!) fined him for blatantly cheating (how dare they!).

so you're gonna root and cheer for scumbags yourself, but make sure your kids idolize decent people? ok.

i dunno, i don't really want my kids to look at pro athletes and coaches as role models when it comes to dating and the like. but if i have a kid playing pee wee football, i might like for them to be able to look up to these guys AS football players and coaches, people who play the game the right way. most of the players and coaches in the NFL set an excellent example in that regard, thankfully. belichick sets the example that cheating and being an ass hole are the way to come out on top.

Root and cheer is a lot different than learning some life lesson from them. It is obvious any conversation with you regarding this topic is going to go nowhere.

Root and cheer is a lot different than learning some life lesson from them. It is obvious any conversation with you regarding this topic is going to go nowhere.

it's going nowhere because you're talking in circles. i never said anything about "learning some life lesson", i specifically asked: "do you have kids? are you going to teach them to approach competition the way belichick does -- cheat, and when you get caught cheating, get mad and 'show everybody' by being a classless pr!ck?"

very telling that you chose not to answer that question.

it's going nowhere because you're talking in circles. i never said anything about "learning some life lesson", i specifically asked: "do you have kids? are you going to teach them to approach competition the way belichick does -- cheat, and when you get caught cheating, get mad and 'show everybody' by being a classless pr!ck?"

very telling that you chose not to answer that question.

Oh good God are you a huge dog that flies because this is the Never Ending Story? You think he is a classless prick. Everytime you use the word Belichick you use the word cheat. You hate the Patriots...blah blah blah. I could care less. I have zero problem with the way the Patriots have approached any game this season. They play hard for 60 minutes. Does that answer all your questions?

Oh good God are you a huge dog that flies because this is the Never Ending Story? You think he is a classless prick. Everytime you use the word Belichick you use the word cheat. You hate the Patriots...blah blah blah. I could care less. I have zero problem with the way the Patriots have approached any game this season. They play hard for 60 minutes. Does that answer all your questions?

:wacko: i win again :D

doesn't it at least make you want to throw up in your mouth a little to root for such a cheating pr!ck? :D

:wacko: i win again :D

doesn't it at least make you want to throw up in your mouth a little to root for such a cheating pr!ck? :D

Wow this time you did not even use the word Belichick. Subbing pr!ck instead definitely shows you are using your thesaurus.

Oh and I am giving you a free pass on being a dick today due to the Rockies. Who won? :wacko: