[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New Plasma TV

Menudo

Well, I've had a Pillips 60-inch rear projection HD-Ready TV for some time now. The HD stuff looks nice on it, but, I had no idea what real HD was until I got my new one. We are moving into a new house, and we decided to buy a Plasma for the new living room. I got a great deal on a Panasonic 50-inch Plasma, running Directv through HDMI, and all I can say is :D:D:wacko::D

Braveheart in HD last night was absolutely phenomenal. Also, Call of Duty on the 360 never looked better, but, unfortunately, I still suck :D

Well, I've had a Pillips 60-inch rear projection HD-Ready TV for some time now. The HD stuff looks nice on it, but, I had no idea what real HD was until I got my new one. We are moving into a new house, and we decided to buy a Plasma for the new living room. I got a great deal on a Panasonic 50-inch Plasma, running Directv through HDMI, and all I can say is :D:D:wacko:;)

Braveheart in HD last night was absolutely phenomenal. Also, Call of Duty on the 360 never looked better, but, unfortunately, I still suck :D

Well, you do suck yawn: , but I have Roethy, so all is well! :headbang:

Enjoy the REAL HD! :D

Plasma's aren't exactly meant to be watched on a constant basis...

they are more for business presentations...

having said that, you'll definitely enjoy the new setup....

I don't have anything in 1080p yet....but both of my current set-ups are just fine for the time being...

:D on the new set....sunday's will never be the same...

Word of warning on the new DirectTV HD DVR. We have the latest box and they're starting to report that it's having issues with PPV movies. We went to watch a PPV movie that we recorded a week ago and saw about 5 mins of it then a message popped up stating "searching for authorized content" and there was no movie there. I called DirectTv and they said that they're aware of the situation and it has something to do with recording over the HDMI cable. They don't have a fix for it yet. I've read that if you order the pay per view online and then record it it should be fine but don't purchase a PPV through the remote because you may run into my issue.

Edited by twiley

im looking too. waiting for the xmas super sales. figured ive waited this long. everyone says once u go plasma, you never go back!!!!!!!!

I went LCD because I was concerned about burn. Every plasma I checked out in the store had a burn in it...usually the ESPN banner. They have some sort of refresh function in some plasmas that clean it up but I don't want to have to keep doing that every 2 weeks or so.

I went LCD because I was concerned about burn. Every plasma I checked out in the store had a burn in it...usually the ESPN banner. They have some sort of refresh function in some plasmas that clean it up but I don't want to have to keep doing that every 2 weeks or so.

ive heard that too. i meant to say once you go hd, u never go back. still deciding between a plasma and lcd.

ive heard that too. i meant to say once you go hd, u never go back. still deciding between a plasma and lcd.

It really came down to how long we keep the TV on. Plasma just wasn't an option and the room that the TV is in catches the morning sun so glare was an issue with the Plasma too. No glare with the LCD.

Edited by twiley

It really came down to how long we keep the TV on. Plasma just wasn't an option and the room that the plasma is in catches the morning sun so glare was an issue too. No glare with the LCD.

ive read that all the new plasmas have an anti-glare screen nowadays. i can see a major burn problem with my son leaving the polar express menu screen on for 7 hours.

ive read that all the new plasmas have an anti-glare screen nowadays. i can see a major burn problem with my son leaving the polar express menu screen on for 7 hours.

Didn't know about the anti-glare.

I noticed that the Plasmas were a little cheaper too so that's a plus if budget is an issue.

this is pure nonsense.

Good plasma's such as Panny and Pioneer have zero burn in, although it is a good idea to break them in for th first 100 hours or so.

I compared LCD/plasma both pretty extensively - and there are pro's to both no doubt, but to me you can't beat the richness of a good plasma picture, and plasmas are much better for viewing sports-

by the way - nice set Menudo- Panny makes a great plasma :D

Edited by wildcat2334

this is pure nonsense.

Good plasma's such as Panny and Pioneer have zero burn in, although it is a good idea to break them in for th first 100 hours or so.

I compared LCD/plasma both pretty extensively - and there are pro's to both no doubt, but to me you can't beat the richness of a good plasma picture, and plasmas are much better for viewing sports-

I also did tons of research before my purchase, and thought both Plasmas and LCD's do still have advantages in certain areas, the gap in all of those areas have closed. I really don't think you can go wrong with either one at this point. I went with Plasma, because everything I read said they were slightly better with fast-moving action, i.e sports. So far, I continue to be blown away by this picture. The football games are simply breathtaking. It is a thing of beauty. :D

Word of warning on the new DirectTV HD DVR. We have the latest box and they're starting to report that it's having issues with PPV movies. We went to watch a PPV movie that we recorded a week ago and saw about 5 mins of it then a message popped up stating "searching for authorized content" and there was no movie there. I called DirectTv and they said that they're aware of the situation and it has something to do with recording over the HDMI cable. They don't have a fix for it yet. I've read that if you order the pay per view online and then record it it should be fine but don't purchase a PPV through the remote because you may run into my issue.

I ordered "Her First Monster Rod" on PPV last night and had no problems.

this is pure nonsense.

You may very well be right. All I know is that some Panny rep was at the store trying to sell me on the plasma and when she went to show me that plasmas don't burn by pulling up a white screen there was a big burn of ESPN at the bottom. She stammered for a second and then blamed it on the store for running certain programming for too long. I then went and looked at 3 other manufacturers and saw the same issue.

IMO, plasmas had better quality pictures but to say that burn isn't an issue is crazy.

Best advice I ever got: a plasma is the best picture you'll ever watch for five years. if you have the ability/funds to replace it due to the burn every five years, a plasma is the way to go. My neighbor who got his plasma 2 years ago is beginning to understand.

We went with an LCD....60" Sony.

I think you switched from what I have and I still get a good damned picture from that RPTV

Yup. I really liked that tv, but it took a lot of work to keep the picture sharp. I couldn't stand knowing that an edge was out of focus or I was dealing with overscan and missing a fraction of the image. :D

Does burn-in mean that you can still see the faint impression of whatever even when the set is on? I am looking to buy a new TV right now and am debating LCD versus plasma as well. I think I am leaning towards plasma but it just gets more confusing the more I research.

this is pure nonsense.

I was at a pro demo about three weeks ago and saw the exact opposite. I was looking at an LG (which had severe burn in issues) and an NEC. The Pioneer Elite was also there, and let me tell you if you're going to go plasma it won't get better than the 1080p versions of this model. Yes, it pushes 6 grand for the small (50") but even as a 'prosumer' model it whipped 2 other plasmas and 3 LCDs (all 5 were pro models) that all had sales reps in attendence, whereas the Pioneer did not and ran away with the demo which included nearly a dozen test patterns through multiple resolutions.

The 3 LCDs were NEC, Sharp and one other that slips my mind - but wasn't Sony.

Edited by Pope Flick

Yup. I really liked that tv, but it took a lot of work to keep the picture sharp. I couldn't stand knowing that an edge was out of focus or I was dealing with overscan and missing a fraction of the image. :D

i must have bad eyes because its been a year(just shy a few weeks) and I havent had any problems with overscan or convergence etc...

Best advice I ever got: a plasma is the best picture you'll ever watch for five years. if you have the ability/funds to replace it due to the burn every five years, a plasma is the way to go. My neighbor who got his plasma 2 years ago is beginning to understand.

We went with an LCD....60" Sony.

+1

60 inch Sony SXRD. I bought it 3 years ago after months of researching. In the higher end models, the Plasma burn-in has gone away.... But when I decided to get a 2nd HDTV for my computer Room. I still went with a 1080p LCD (Sharp Aquos, 32 inch).