[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The American Way

H8tank

It's been less than a week since New York's Sen. Hillary Clinton and Gov. Eliot Spitzer had to climb down from their support of driver's licenses for illegal aliens. Now House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has moved to kill an amendment that would protect employers from federal lawsuits for requiring their workers to speak English. Among the employers targeted by such lawsuits: the Salvation Army.

Sen. Lamar Alexander, a moderate Republican from Tennessee, is dumbstruck that legislation he views as simple common sense would be blocked. He noted that the full Senate passed his amendment to shield the Salvation Army by 75-19 last month, and the House followed suit with a 218-186 vote just this month. "I cannot imagine that the framers of the 1964 Civil Rights Act intended to say that it's discrimination for a shoe shop owner to say to his or her employee, 'I want you to be able to speak America's common language on the job,' " he told the Senate last Thursday.

But that's exactly what the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission is trying to do. In March the EEOC sued the Salvation Army because its thrift store in Framingham, Mass., required its employees to speak English on the job. The requirement was clearly posted and employees were given a year to learn the language. The EEOC claimed the store had fired two Hispanic employees for continuing to speak Spanish on the job. It said that the firings violated the law because the English-only policy was not "relevant" to job performance or safety.

http://opinionjournal.com/diary/?id=110010881

:D:wacko: It's amazing how some have not a clue. I now understand the immature comment above...numb-nuts!

Well, if it truly is a nuance of the Civil Rights Act aren't the courts supposed to play a matter in determining what is or isn't a legal violation? You know, being consistent with the constitution and all, as defined by our forefathers? Didn't they write stuff up this way so Congressional politicians don't hold all the power? Isn't that what made the country we came from go down the crapper?

I'd also argue that spendings billions of dollars a year on Iraqi welfare is more detrimental to our country than letting the courts decide if employee's should be required to speak English, but that is just me. :D

:D:D It's amazing how some have not a clue. I now understand the immature comment above...numb-nuts!

I was being quite mature, as opposed to you, Mr. Poopypants.

If you don't want an employee who doesn't speak English, don't hire one.

If you want to force your employees to learn to speak English, don't take federal money.

I was being quite mature, as opposed to you, Mr. Poopypants.

If you don't want an employee who doesn't speak English, don't hire one.

If you want to force your employees to learn to speak English, don't take federal money.

then you get sued for discrimination.

I said this in H8's last masturbatory thread.

Legislation to protect people from lawsuits is dumb. Let the courts decide what a valid lawsuit is.

agree, but we also need a loser pays system for frivolous suits.

Not every time someone loses is their suit frivolous. I'm not sure one should only be allowed access to the judicial system if they can afford to pay for both sets of lawyers.

Nevertheless, a winner in court should not have to face bankruptcy through legal bills. I like loser pays on the whole - then you have to have a sure case to take it to court. There probably should be provision for both loser pays and a split, where both sides pay their own costs. Worth discussing, anyway.

Nevertheless, a winner in court should not have to face bankruptcy through legal bills. I like loser pays on the whole - then you have to have a sure case to take it to court. There probably should be provision for both loser pays and a split, where both sides pay their own costs. Worth discussing, anyway.

OJ wishes. State of California probably would have had to have given him back so much money he wouldn't have needed to rob those dudes in Vegas.

:D

If the article is accurate can I assume that Pelosi actively took away power from Congress and left it to the courts who would have ultimately decided the fate anyways? Isn't that streamlining the process and saving taxpayers money so we can send it to an US supported Iraqi terrorist?

If the article is accurate can I assume that Pelosi actively took away power from Congress and left it to the courts who would have ultimately decided the fate anyways? Isn't that streamlining the process and saving taxpayers money so we can send it to an US supported Iraqi terrorist?

Lets say we DIDN'T fightback against our enemies............wonder how different it would be.........some will say we'd be better off.....i think those bloodthisty Radicals would be way ahead and the job of protecting Everyones Freedom would be twice as hard............ :D

The EEOC claimed the store had fired two Hispanic employees for continuing to speak Spanish on the job. It said that the firings violated the law because the English-only policy was not "relevant" to job performance or safety.

It doesnt seem to me like these employees were fired for being unable to speak English but because they were speaking Spanish amongst themselves after being told not to. That does seem a little extreem.