[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My dad is looking for a new TV

muck

The spot he has to fill in the built-in bookcase can be no more than 43" wide (he would prefer something about 40" wide so he can access some light switches a little easier than if the TV is a full 43" wide).

He doesn't know / care if it's DLP, Plasma or something else. He doesn't know / care about HDTV. He just wants a good deal on a good TV.

Any suggestions from the TV-files here amongst us?

sony, sharp, samsung lcd

sony, samsung, sharp lcd (My preferences)

Sony was about $500 more than the Samsung that I finally got (40"). Beside price, there were more features (PiP and a auto-on timer primarily) on the Samsung, that Sony did not have for less than $1K more than the Sammy.

I am remembering someone said to not focus on getting 1080 dpi as something with that technology is going the way of the dodo bird.

:D

I really know nothing about TVs.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't heard that. All of your HD DVD and BluRay depend on it. Plus cable and I believe dish send their HD signal in 1080. Kid Cid???

I haven't heard that. All of your HD DVD and BluRay depend on it. Plus cable and I believe dish send their HD signal in 1080. Kid Cid???

Blu Ray does 1080p,1080i,720p HD DVD does 1080i and 720p. Cable and satellite send the signal in either 1080i or 720p depending on the source (ESPN does 720p, NBC does 1080i, etc.)

sony, sharp, samsung lcd

sony, samsung, sharp lcd (My preferences)

This is the one I am thinking of getting. I can get it today for $1199 or wait until tomorrow and try to get one for $999. Does that seem like a decent deal? I have looked at a bunch, but like muck I'm not really much of a A/V type.

Blu Ray does 1080p,1080i,720p HD DVD does 1080i and 720p. Cable and satellite send the signal in either 1080i or 720p depending on the source (ESPN does 720p, NBC does 1080i, etc.)

So, if he gets one that is 1080p, is he screwed on stuff that's 1080i or 720p ... etc ...

Thanks!

So, if he gets one that is 1080p, is he screwed on stuff that's 1080i or 720p ... etc ...

Thanks!

No. Every TV has an internal converter to transform the signal into the resolution that the TV is. If your dad isn't an A/V buff, don't blow the money on a 1080p right now. A 1080i or 720p should be more than plenty for him. For technology, I'd strongly recommend a DLP over LCD or plasma. LCDs can get pixel burnout and plasmas cost way too much (IMO) for what you get. I have a Samsung and love it. I've not heard anything bad about them.

• 2 weeks later...
No. Every TV has an internal converter to transform the signal into the resolution that the TV is. If your dad isn't an A/V buff, don't blow the money on a 1080p right now. A 1080i or 720p should be more than plenty for him. For technology, I'd strongly recommend a DLP over LCD or plasma. LCDs can get pixel burnout and plasmas cost way too much (IMO) for what you get. I have a Samsung and love it. I've not heard anything bad about them.

really? DLP over LCD and Plasma?

I haven't seen a DLP picture that even comes close to a quality LCD or plasma picture. I think the only real advantage to DLP is cost.

TVs are one of those things you just have to go to an outlet to see.

Turn them all on the same channel/movie, add a PiP that has words in it and a contrasting color to the channel/movie.

See if there is any bleedover to either picture. Check for clarity, sound, colors, connections, size, options.

Compare it to all the other TVs doing the same thing at the same time.

Take home the one that visually looks the best on screen. Choose options after that.

You can always adapt to various options/colors/etc. But you can't compensate for a bad viewing screen.

Dad got the 46" Samsung DLP.

Thanks for your help!

:D

how did I overlook this thread?..

DLP almost appears to be phasing out...the PQ pales in comparison to others...

not that he won't be more than pleased with the HD set he's getting, but you'd get your moneys worth elsewhere...

DLP almost appears to be phasing out...the PQ pales in comparison to others...

How so? You can get a 1080p DLP (if you so choose), which is the highest resolution available. DLP has better blacks than LCD, and there is no pixel burnout as there is with LCD.

my :D

(1) With a 40" wide footprint, you are looking for a plasma or LCD with a 40-42 inch screen size.

(2) You're not looking to buy for a videophile. WIth that screen size, you do not need to go with the more expensive 1080p technology so long as you buy a quality 720p LCD or plasma. The average joe cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080p screens at that size. You have to go to 50"+ screen size to tell a real difference. So save yourself a couple bucks.

Seriously, don't get talked into it. Its a waste at that size. CNET article on this point

(3) You should not have any problems with a new 720p HDTV recognizing signals from any source.

(4) Don't worry about plasma burn in, dead pixels, etc. Stick with a major brand, and the statistics say you won't have trouble with normal usage.

(5) If the room gets a lot of sunlight, get an LCD. If you would say the room is average or dark, plasma vs. LCD doesn't matter enough to worry about it.

(6) Specific recommendations: Panasonic 42" plasma TH-42PX77U , Sony 40" LCD (KDL-40S3000), Samsung 40" LCD LN-T4053H, Toshiba 40" LCD 42HL67 Go view and play around with them for yourself.

How so? You can get a 1080p DLP (if you so choose), which is the highest resolution available. DLP has better blacks than LCD, and there is no pixel burnout as there is with LCD.

dlp is a good rear-projection technology, the biggest disadvantages i know of compared to plasma and lcd are its physical depth (only an issue for some people) and its relatively poor range of viewing angles. i've heard people talk about a "rainbow effect" but never really seen it myself the few times i've watched a dlp set. biggest advantage is cost.

Edited by Azazello1313

i am pretty sure hd-dvd can be (and is) encoded up to 1080p as well. they'd have already lost decisively to bluray if that were not the case.

I know that bluray can, I don't know about hd-dvd. I'm not buying either for right now. I've downloaded a few hd movies, watched them through directv, and ppv. For now, that's enough. I'd much rather do that than worry about a format war. We had a beta growing up. I still remember feeling like a second-class citizen at the video store and my dad saying, "It's better quality! I don't want to switch to VHS." I think that's the only reason we didn't end up getting laserdisc.

i am pretty sure hd-dvd can be (and is) encoded up to 1080p as well. they'd have already lost decisively to bluray if that were not the case.

HD-DVD is 1080i

toshiba website states HD-DVD delivers up to 6 times the resolution of DVD discs....look at the bottom and the comparison is based on 480i to 1080i

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/hddvd/ click on WHY HD-DVD

Edited by keggerz

HD-DVD is 1080i

toshiba website states HD-DVD delivers up to 6 times the resolution of DVD discs....look at the bottom and the comparison is based on 480i to 1080i

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/hddvd/ click on WHY HD-DVD

:Dhttp://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q...=1&ie=UTF-8

edit to add, wikipedia

1080p-encoded titles have been released on HD DVD and also Blu-ray Disc. The first generation of U.S./Japanese HD DVD players could only output the 1080p content via 1080i signal and required 3:2 pulldown deinterlacing in a display to reconstruct the original 1080p signal (see above for an explanation of why this does not lead to any difference between 1080i and 1080p in many cases). However, the second generation U.S./Japanese HD DVD players and the first generation of European HD DVD players (both launched in Q4-2006) support direct output of 1080p signal. Since the introduction of their first hardware generation, Blu-ray Disc players have been able to output 1080p video. As well as 1080p output, current HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc players both allow output of film-based material in conventional interlaced 1080i60 form, and 1080p displays that are able to apply 3:2 pulldown reversal can deinterlace film-based content and achieve full 1080p image quality.
Edited by Azazello1313