[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Speed Metal

untateve

My son plays guitar hero II (He now wants guitar lessons, which will commence once soccer season is over). However, he now finds he likes a few of the speed metal songs. I'd like to get him some more, particularly with christmas coming up.

Sadly, I am not hip. Could any of you direct me to various groups known for playing good speed metal? You will have my undying gratitude and my unwavering loyalty.

100 Greatest Speed Metal Albums

How old is your son? Problem is, although musically what you're looking for, most of these albums have very adult lyrics (not that anyone can understand any of them, but they almost always come with the album's liner notes). It's been decades since I've listened to these albums, but if memory serves you'd be best off with Pantera's "Cowboys from Hell" or Testament's "Practice What You Preach" both have SHREDDING guitar work, and not too offensive lyrical content.

Then again, if you think he's mature enough to handle a little satanism, old school Slayer, Metallica's "Master of Puppets", and Suicidal Tendencies "Lights. . Camera. . Revolution" are all good places to start.

Aah, memory lane. . .

100 Greatest Speed Metal Albums

How old is your son? Problem is, although musically what you're looking for, most of these albums have very adult lyrics (not that anyone can understand any of them, but they almost always come with the album's liner notes). It's been decades since I've listened to these albums, but if memory serves you'd be best off with Pantera's "Cowboys from Hell" or Testament's "Practice What You Preach" both have SHREDDING guitar work, and not too offensive lyrical content.

Then again, if you think he's mature enough to handle a little satanism, old school Slayer, Metallica's "Master of Puppets", and Suicidal Tendencies "Lights. . Camera. . Revolution" are all good places to start.

Aah, memory lane. . .

All good calls. Been a while but I'd definitely second the Testament call for kids. If memory serves not a bad conservation message.

:D on Testament. Practice what You Preach absolutely crunches. Live at the Fillmore is one of the best live albums of all time.

The youngsters are into DragonForce these days. Amazing guitar work without the guttaral groans that pass for singing these days.

They may not be speed metal, but Dream Theatre offers some great guitar work on their heavier albums like Train of Thought, and even Metropolis: Scenes from a Memory.

Edited by General Itals

Nice to see the mighty Motorhead still hanging in there at #4 with Ace Of Spades. :D

As far as I'm concerned, Lemmy Kilmeister and Ozzy are the Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth of the heavy metal universe. Legends, on and off the field.

"Buckethead"

Also, Untateve, your son may like System of a Down. Awesome musicallity, great thrash, interesting songwriting. They're the best of the new crop as far as I've heard. "Toxicity" is a good place to start with them.

Also, Untateve, your son may like System of a Down. Awesome musicallity, great thrash, interesting songwriting. They're the best of the new crop as far as I've heard. "Toxicity" is a good place to start with them.

Questionable lyrics though for a kid. I find SOAD to be funny more than anything. Don't know if it's intentional.

Questionable lyrics though for a kid. I find SOAD to be funny more than anything. Don't know if it's intentional.

I think me, I want life,

I think me, I want a house and a wife,

I want to shimmy- shimmy- shimmy through the break of dawn, yeah!

My roommate and I were talking about this the other day. Here's a bit that I still listen to even after all these year these albums still sound fresh

Metallica, any of the first three albums. Killem All, Ride the LIghtning, and Master of Puppets.

Megadeth: Peace Sells, Rust in Peace, and Countdown to Extinction

Slayer: Seasons in the Abyss and Reign in Blood

PANTERA: Vulger Display of Power (one of my top albums of all time but very questionable lyrics)

Anthrax: I'm the Man and State of Euphoria

Testament: Practice what you Preach

Sepultura: Arise and Beneath the Remains

D@MN! time to go crank up the amplifier and turn up the stereo.

The youngsters are into DragonForce these days. Amazing guitar work without the guttaral groans that pass for singing these days.

They may not be speed metal, but Dream Theatre offers some great guitar work on their heavier albums like Train of Thought, and even Metropolis: Scenes from a Memory.

I thought DragonForce fell more into the Iron Maiden-type "power metal" area of the genre. And Dream Theatre is usually falling more on the "prog" end of things (along with Tool and Coheed and Cambria)

If you're talking speed metal, you can't go wrong with the best efforts from the "Big Four" - Metallica's Ride the Lightning (well, that's the personal favorite; any of their first 3 are terrific); Megadeth's Killing is My Business....And Business is Good (Peace Sells might be even better but is a bit less raw), Slayer's Reign In Blood; and Anthrax's Spreading the Disease (though later stuff from 'Thrax like Volume 8 and We've Come For You All are terrific as well)....

...ack, most of the albums I listed are 20 or so years old. :D I am becoming a relic.

I was a huge spped metal freak back in HS. Some of my favorites:

1) Slayer - If you can get past the Satan element they are the best in the biz. I, for one, embraced the Satan element. :D

2) Megadeth - "So Far So Good, So What" is an epic album. One suicidal song "In My Darkest Hour".

3) Overkill - Oft forgotten NY speed gods. "Under the Influence" and "Years of Decay" are highlites.

4) Anthrax - Can come off as a little corny. "Persistance of Time" is thier best album, IMO. Avoid the John Bush (is that his name?) era.

4) Nuclear Assault - The defenition of speed metal. "Kill the Pope" is a defining song of the genre.

5) Venom - Not my cup o' tea.

6) King Diamond - Great classical guitar style, epic, story telling albums. "Them" is awesome. I'm still skeered of Grandma, LOL.

7) VoiVod - Canadians, need I say more. :D

8) Testament - Big meh...

9) Metallica - I dont nesscarily call them Speed Metal but "Justice" is an album no rocker should miss. I still lay down "One" riffs at gatherings. :wacko:

10) Corrosion of Conformity - One good album and I cant remember the name.

I could go into Death Metal (which would include Sepultura) which is sort of a sub-genre of Speed Metal if you want. It seems "Death Style" vocalists are vogue these days so your kid may dig it. The radio "Death Metal" blows though, IMO.

3) Overkill - Oft forgotten NY speed gods. "Under the Influence" and "Years of Decay" are highlites.

Overkill were more followers than innovators, but still a solid, solid band.

4) Anthrax - Can come off as a little corny. "Persistance of Time" is thier best album, IMO. Avoid the John Bush (is that his name?) era.

Avoid the John Bush era? :D I love the Belladonna stuff as much as the next guy, but for one, Bush is just a FAR better, more charismatic frontman live (Joey is sort of a weenie); and the stuff they've put out is just as heavy and a bit deeper than anything pre-Persistence of Time. Stomp 442 is considered a bit of a stinker, so maybe avoid that one but Volume 8 is as good as ANY album they've done.

4) Nuclear Assault - The defenition of speed metal. "Kill the Pope" is a defining song of the genre.

It was "Hang the Pope"

5) Venom - Not my cup o' tea.

6) King Diamond - Great classical guitar style, epic, story telling albums. "Them" is awesome. I'm still skeered of Grandma, LOL.

Venom is so punk rock - well, aside from singing about drugs, sex, and the devil as opposed to politics. Basically they exist to annoy those who don't like them with their marginal instrumental prowess and lunkheaded lyrics. I love 'em.

The musicianship in King Diamond is phenomenal - but when I re-visited him after not listening for a decade or so - man, you just can't take ANYTHING seriously with those vocals of his.

7) VoiVod - Canadians, need I say more. :D

My faves - can you really fault a metal band that names an album RRRoooaaarrr (complete with umlauts over all 3 Os)? I thought not. Plus their ambition is laudable - their first 5 albums were all part of a big sci-fi conceptual story (I'd explain it but it sounds pretty stupid...well, however you explain it, it sounds pretty stupid). I know many VoiVod afficianados regard Nothingface and Angel Rat as their pinnacle, but I personally think that Killing Technology was the tops.

10) Corrosion of Conformity - One good album and I cant remember the name.

Blind was their most commercially successful - "Dance of the Dead" and "Vote with a Bullet" got some big-time MTV airplay. Or maybe Deliverance