[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sean Taylor Avatar

Menudo

I'm doing this to acknowledge the grief the family will go though more than honor what he has done. I think this death, like Darrent Williams', also makes us all question why such young people are dying by gunfire and what it means.

If life was so bad down there why didn't he leave?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that you could call an incident where a guy caught a bullet under questionable circumstances a "tragedy."

But, at least as I see it, to be worthy of an honor you have to had done something to warrant it. The guy was a football player. All I know about him is that he had a girlfriend and a baby, and a checkered hostory. I have no idea what he contributed to society. I have no idea if he was even a good father. In short, other than missing his presence on the football field, I don't know why he, as a person, will be missed, other than by perhaps his friends and family

You can honor anybosy that you want. If Sean Taylor deserves it though, i suppose that everybody who dies under similar circumstances does. Seems like a lot of honoring to me.

Fair enough. Don't use the avatar, don't do anything else to honor him, and move on, I guess. :D

Fair enough. Don't use the avatar, don't do anything else to honor him, and move on, I guess. :D

You can honor someone's memory, what they mean to you, without validating what they have done wrong in their life. That's often what grieving is about.

Furd, while I understand your thoughts and for similar reasons will not choose to honor his passing, not so sure why you needed challenge these guys for wanting to. These guys want to show compassion for the passing of someone and compassion is rarely misguided.

Those of us who see it as a somewhat random gesture can choose not act on it.

How can you actually "grieve" for someone you never knew, never met and probably never would have had a chance to meet? Feeling bad for his family, OK I can understand that. Save the grieving for the people who are nearest and dearest to your heart, i.e. your own family. You guys are all getting a bit carried away with this.

How can you actually "grieve" for someone you never knew, never met and probably never would have had a chance to meet? Feeling bad for his family, OK I can understand that. Save the grieving for the people who are nearest and dearest to your heart, i.e. your own family. You guys are all getting a bit carried away with this.

:D

Sorry i only laugh cause you basically stated word for word what Blitz said about the passing of Barbaro.

They are paying their respect.

Who said we were grieving ?

No disrespect intended to others in this thread, but I really hope that the NFL waits until the investigation is over and thinks long and hard before deciding about how they honor Taylor's memory. While Taylor's family, friends, teammates, fans, etc. have a multitude of reasons to honor his life, Goodell needs to be very careful here, a his actions could potentially send the wrong message to young athletes. Taylor obviously had many positive qualities, but the fact remains that he was involved in crime (armed assault, DUI... and that's just what we know of) and, at this point, his death seems to be a direct result of his lifestyle.

This idiotic "thug life" culture has been a significant problem in certain communities for decades and is now becoming a problem in the NFL. This is the THIRD shooting death of either an NFL player (Derrant Williams) or somebody very closely associated with an NFL player (Tank Johnson's "bodyguard") in just the past 11 months. And all three have (apparently) been the direct result of a confrontation with some idiot thug. The league needs to be very careful in not honoring Taylor to the point where he becomes a martyr for "keepin' it real" at the expense of one's teammates, one's friends, or one's family. In fact, I'd really like to see Goodell implement some sort of "no tolerance" policy for NFL players convicted of any sort of violent crime. I appreciate the way that he's come down harder than Tagliabue did (e.g., Pacman, Chris Henry), but it's apparently not enough. Sadly, it seems that the threat of taking away one's paycheck via banishment from the league may be the only way to get some of these players to disassociate themselves from this culture of stupidity.

No disrespect intended to others in this thread, but I really hope that the NFL waits until the investigation is over and thinks long and hard before deciding about how they honor Taylor's memory. While Taylor's family, friends, teammates, fans, etc. have a multitude of reasons to honor his life, Goodell needs to be very careful here, a his actions could potentially send the wrong message to young athletes.

I agree 100%. Not that I'm a fan :D but if you remember when Chris Benoit, the wrestler, died, they did this hugh tribute to the guy, only to find out the next day that he killed his wife, strangled his son, and then committed suicide. Not trying to draw comparisons with the NFL and WWE, and not insinuating that Taylor did anything wrong, but they should certainly have all the facts before they honor him as a hero.

Furd, while I understand your thoughts and for similar reasons will not choose to honor his passing, not so sure why you needed challenge these guys for wanting to. These guys want to show compassion for the passing of someone and compassion is rarely misguided.

Those of us who see it as a somewhat random gesture can choose not act on it.

+1, and very well stated.

I too have no reason to honor a guy who may have done more harm than good over his life...he had no impact on me, my family, or frankly, anything I stand for.

But to post a message that chastizes those that feel they want to honor him is wrong... and frankly, it reeks of a need for attention.

No disrespect intended to others in this thread, but I really hope that the NFL waits until the investigation is over and thinks long and hard before deciding about how they honor Taylor's memory. While Taylor's family, friends, teammates, fans, etc. have a multitude of reasons to honor his life, Goodell needs to be very careful here, a his actions could potentially send the wrong message to young athletes. Taylor obviously had many positive qualities, but the fact remains that he was involved in crime (armed assault, DUI... and that's just what we know of) and, at this point, his death seems to be a direct result of his lifestyle.

He made 2 bad choices in his life,that we know of.1 he was trying to get back from thugs what they stole from him and the other was having a few too many drinks and driving which is done by government officials and countless others.

He made 2 mistakes that are questionable but not horrific by any stretch of the imagination.He was shot and killed he didnt shoot and kill.I have no problem with anyone honoring him.Who hasnt made a few mistakes in their life?

We know of 2 bad things,how many good things did he do that made the front pages?How many more of those are there that we dont know about?

Hes the victim in this,not the criminal.

If you want to stop sending bad messages to kids,IMHO the first place to start is the media.They will tear apart tragic stories for weeks or months until there is nothing left .Bad news sells and they exploit it at our childrens expense.

Edited by xtra

He made 2 bad choices in his life,that we know of.1 he was trying to get back from thugs what they stole from him and the other was having a few too many drinks and driving which is done by government officials and countless others.

Are you forgetting that he spit right in Michael Pittman's face? Any man who would do that to another man is a low quality individual, JMHO.

Are you forgetting that he spit right in Michael Pittman's face? Any man who would do that to another man is a low quality individual, JMHO.

Have you ever did anything in the heat of the moment you wouldnt normally do?

Edited by xtra

:D

I can't think of one.

Thats just it,how many good things go under the radar?.What gets more national attention,a celebrity doing something good or a celebrity doing something bad?

A good thing you might hear once or never ,a bad thing lingers like a bad smell.

Edited by xtra

+1, and very well stated.

I too have no reason to honor a guy who may have done more harm than good over his life...he had no impact on me, my family, or frankly, anything I stand for.

But to post a message that chastizes those that feel they want to honor him is wrong... and frankly, it reeks of a need for attention.

I'm not chastizing anyone. I'm just kinda curious why somebody on a FF message board would choose to honor the guy.

And even if I did, there's nothing "wrong" with it.

Edited by Furd