[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sean Taylor Avatar

Menudo

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, you can do whatever you want, and the league can do whatever they want. But when I heard the news, and the location of the gunshot wound on his body, the first thing that entered my mind was a revenge killing. I'm not ready to damn this guy for doing something stupid and reaping what he sowed, but I'm not ready to climb aboard the tribute train either. The official version of this story just doesn't sound right to me. It is tragic when any young person dies, but I have a hard time believing this is just a random killing. Give me a break. His family and friends deserve our sympathy, but I'd like to let the dust settle before I assume the fallen is worthy of a tribute after somehow putting himself in harms way.

I shall continue with my moving tribute to the still breathing and tawlking Tony K thankyou.

Edited by rattsass

He made 2 bad choices in his life,that we know of.1 he was trying to get back from thugs what they stole from him and the other was having a few too many drinks and driving which is done by government officials and countless others.

He made 2 mistakes that are questionable but not horrific by any stretch of the imagination.He was shot and killed he didnt shoot and kill.I have no problem with anyone honoring him.Who hasnt made a few mistakes in their life?

We know of 2 bad things,how many good things did he do that made the front pages?How many more of those are there that we dont know about?

Hes the victim in this,not the criminal.

If you want to stop sending bad messages to kids,IMHO the first place to start is the media.They will tear apart tragic stories for weeks or months until there is nothing left .Bad news sells and they exploit it at our childrens expense.

LOL, so it's the media's fault that black community is in a crime and poverty crisis? GMAFB. :D

Yeah, Taylor made two bad choices THAT WE KNOW OF. The fact that people were out to kill him strongly suggests that they weren't the only two bad choices he's made. I've made a few bad choices in my life, but strangely I've never had somebody break into my house and lay a knife on my bed... and nobody's broken down my front door and shot me in the leg. :D

I remember the good old days when we talked about the appropriateness of wishing injuries on NFL players. Now we are wondering if a 24 year old man deserves any respect after he has died. A man that very few of us know as a person.

I also remember feedback on some FF boards when Korey Stringer died during training camp. Not only did some lack respect in posting about him, some actually were glad it was a Vikings player because they should all be fu**ed. It wasn't on this board but in that situation, Stringer did nothing to provoke anything like that whatsoever.

For the most part we are all adults here, and as such will have opinions and ideas that are unlikely to change just because somebody else's is different.

I think Sean deserves the respect that any passing person does.

LOL, so it's the media's fault that black community is in a crime and poverty crisis? GMAFB. :D

Yeah, Taylor made two bad choices THAT WE KNOW OF. The fact that people were out to kill him strongly suggests that they weren't the only two bad choices he's made. I've made a few bad choices in my life, but strangely I've never had somebody break into my house and lay a knife on my bed... and nobody's broken down my front door and shot me in the leg. :D

It's because you're not black enough, Bill.

I think Sean deserves the respect that any passing person does.

That is exactly my thoughts as well. I don't want to rush to judgment on the guy, either positively or negatively. I'm just sad that they young man was killed. No, I do not know him, but, being that he is an NFL player that I have enjoyed watching for years, it does have some meaning to me.

I meant the media more in the sense of things along the lines of Columbine and how they drug that out and then similar incidents started happening,nothing racial or streo typed was meant to be implied.My bad if it was taken as anything other than that.

DUI is worth killing someone over?nope

So that leaves 1 thing you are referring to,that 1 incident when he goes to get back what was stolen defines his whole life in your eyes?

Thats just not the way I judge,Ive had the misfortune of being crucified by the media before,so I take a different view on this one.

Nobody knows why he was kiiled or by whom,so its hard for me to hold him being shot and killed against him.

Edited by xtra

Detlef, I thought what you said and how you said it, is exactly right. Therefore I am crossing threads with your quote if that is alright with you...

Count me among those dismayed by yet another senseless death to a young man.

I haven't been following the story nearly as closely as most, but it does seem rather apparent that this was no ordinary crime. One, it would appear that is more likely to happen to someone with a sorted history. Did he get what he deserved? Absolutely not. On the other hand, it might be going a bit far to be tripping all over ourselves about the fact that "he'd turned his life around". I mean, if that's in fact true, then it is very, very sad to see that his past caught up with him regardless. However, the first step to not having your past catch up to you is not having a past that you need to be concerned about.

The day somebody decides to straighten out, they're not even with those of us who've been keeping our noses clean all along. Perhaps society owes them the encouragement to keep it going, and that often comes with the benefit of the doubt. However, that doesn't mean they're out of the woods. I mean, this isn't about society in general coming down on Taylor because of his past actions, this is about a particular person pissed off enough at him to do this. It is not through some random bit of luck that nobody is leaving a knife on my bed and then coming back a week later to shoot me and it's not like I'm the nicest guy out there. I've made my share of mistakes but have somehow managed to avoid pissing anyone off to the extent that I need to worry about being shot.

Here's a thought. People often talk about what a shame it is all that oil is sitting under the middle east because otherwise backwards cultures are afforded massive power and importance. If it weren't for that, the modern age would have completely eaten them up. As it stands, these backwards f-ups are given a free pass and don't need to be held accountable for the fact that they've refused to evolve socially.

Now, think about pro sports. You've got the same thing working. For the vast majority of society, evolution stopped being a physical thing long ago. Evolution has meant adapting to a modern world intellectually and socially. However a select, very high profile group of men are outrageously rewarded and sheltered from the need to mentally evolve because of physical attributes and an inclination towards aggression. Not unlike the oil barons in the middle east, their dis-inclination to evolve in the modern sense of the word is being subsidized. Were it not for the fact that these guys are shoved in everyone's faces, it might not have such a cascading social impact, but it trickles down. The incentive to mentally adapt and grow to the extent that you can participate well in society is challenged by the allure of getting bigger, stronger, and more bad-ass in the hopes of a big payday and accolades. For nearly everyone, that second batch of traits would have done a whole lot more good hundreds and hundreds of years ago.

Now, I'm not saying that each and every pro athlete is a barbarian or that pro sports is to blame for all of societies ills. However, it doesn't take a genius to see a very apparent trend here. We idolize people half our age, many of whom are functional illiterates that you wouldn't want to spend ten minutes with. All because they can run a 4.2 40 or can take someone's head off when they come across the middle. If they can manage that and even be remotely respectful and upstanding (things we take for granted in nearly everyone else we deal with on a day to day basis), they're "great guys". If they can actually parlay their enormous fortunes and public adoration into a successful business after their athletic careers, they're championed as pillars of society.

I guess I'm just getting tired of most of this.

Guys, you can do whatever you want, and the league can do whatever they want. But when I heard the news, and the location of the gunshot wound on his body, the first thing that entered my mind was a revenge killing. I'm not ready to damn this guy for doing something stupid and reaping what he sowed, but I'm not ready to climb aboard the tribute train either. The official version of this story just doesn't sound right to me. It is tragic when any young person dies, but I have a hard time believing this is just a random killing. Give me a break. His family and friends deserve our sympathy, but I'd like to let the dust settle before I assume the fallen is worthy of a tribute after somehow putting himself in harms way.

I shall continue with my moving tribute to the still breathing and tawlking Tony K thankyou.

Yeah because when you want to get revenge and kill someone, you shoot them in the LEG! :D

I just got home from work and saw the thread title so I clicked on. I haven't had time to read all the bs in the thread and a quick scan shows there is plenty of it.

Just want to say thank you to Menudo for doing the avi thing, First class gesture for sure Menudo. :D

Sean was my son's favorite Hurricane. We traveled to Tallahassee to see the UM/FSU game 6-7 years ago and sat in the pouring rain as we watched the 'Canes beat up on the 'Noles. ST made 2 int's and a few other brutal hits. My son was 14 or 15 at the time and just was in awe of the guy and has been ever since. So much so that when we go to our favorite hang out on Sundays when the Dolphins game isn't on local tv and were in town, he always go over and watches the 'Skins when they're on Def just to watch and see if Sean makes a play or two.

He really took his death hard and we talked for a good 2 hours about it and both cried a little. He is hurting for sure.

Again, thanks menudo.

Sorry ,didnt mean to offend your feminine side.

Wow, nice mature comeback. What's next are you going to call me a dummy?

So you condone spitting in another person's face. Now everything you have said makes perfect sense. You are incapable of a rational discussion. I pray for your children.

Now, I know there are lots of good Eagles fans, even some on this board, but, I'm starting to think a lot of the Eagles fans deserve and enjoy the reputation they have.

Check out these threads:

:D

I meant the media more in the sense of things along the lines of Columbine and how they drug that out and then similar incidents started happening,nothing racial or streo typed was meant to be implied.My bad if it was taken as anything other than that.

Shootings in "tha hood" were going on well before the mainstream media began reporting it or before Dr. Dre began making money off of it. This is a culture problem, not a media problem.

DUI is worth killing someone over?nope

So that leaves 1 thing you are referring to,that 1 incident when he goes to get back what was stolen defines his whole life in your eyes?

Thats just not the way I judge,Ive had the misfortune of being crucified by the media before,so I take a different view on this one.

Nobody knows why he was kiiled or by whom,so its hard for me to hold him being shot and killed against him.

Um, Taylor was arrested for aggravated assault and battery. The former is a felony. After flashing a gun like an idiot, he then returned to the scene of the crime and punched somebody. That merits serious jail time and he's incredibly lucky that the prosecution was cited with misconduct and the trial got dragged out long enough that he was able to avoid jail as part of a plea bargain. Sorry, but that's a pretty major incident. And while it certainly doesn't "define his life in my eyes" :D, it strongly suggests that this isn't the first instance of trouble that he's been in.

And when have you been "crucified by the media"?

Edited by Bill Swerski

Wow, nice mature comeback. What's next are you going to call me a dummy?

So you condone spitting in another person's face. Now everything you have said makes perfect sense. You are incapable of a rational discussion. I pray for your children.

Maybe someday Ill become mature enough to say a dead person deserved what he got because he spit on someone during a football game.

Save your prayers,you may need them if one of your children ever spit on someone.

Edited by xtra

Shootings in "tha hood" were going on well before the mainstream media began reporting it or before Dr. Dre began making money off of it. This is a culture problem, not a media problem.

Um, Taylor was arrested for aggravated assault and battery. The former is a felony. He then returned to the scene of the crime and punched somebody. That's another felony. That merits serious jail time and he's incredibly lucky that the prosecution was cited with misconduct and the trial got dragged out long enough that he was able to avoid jail as part of a plea bargain. Sorry, but that's a pretty major incident. And while it certainly doesn't "define his life in my eyes" :D, it strongly suggests that this isn't the first instance of trouble that he's been in.

And when have you been "crucified by the media"?

I agree with you on the first part Bill,I was talking more about the media dragging out some of the bad things for their ratings at the expense of the kids watching the news.

Wasnt the assault and battery when he had the gun and went to retrieve his 4 wheelers after they were stolen or is there one that I missed?

Not being a smart azz just asking.

Back in 2001 ..

Wasnt the assault and battery when he had the gun and went to retrieve his 4 wheelers after they were stolen or is there one that I missed?

The assault part was flashing a gun in a guy's face and the battery part involved him punching somebody. What rational human being does that... especially when you're a millionaire NFL star? Take a f'n picture of these guys with your cell phone camera and call the police.

My original point, which you apparently had a problem with, was my speculation that this murder had to do with Taylor pissing somebody off. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but all of the disclosed evidence overwhelmingly points in that direction. I feel really bad for Taylor's family and friends, but this let's-get-into-fights-with-hoodlums mentality has also taken the lives of Derrant Williams and Tank Johnson's bodyguard... all within the past 11 months. Goodell needs to address this issue. These young men need to know that acting like Biggie and Tupac off the field will get them into SERIOUS trouble. I don't want to see three more NFL players get capped in the next 12 months.

Interesting viewpoints from Antrel Rolle:

Cards' Rolle vows to honor childhood friend Taylor

Associated Press

Updated: November 28, 2007, 6:21 PM ET

* Comment

* Email

* Print

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Still in disbelief of his childhood friend's shooting death, Arizona Cardinals cornerback Antrel Rolle vowed Wednesday to make sure Sean Taylor is remembered.

He added he did not believe the killing was part of a burglary gone sour, and that Taylor had many enemies on the streets of Miami.

"He really didn't say too much," Rolle said, "but I know he was pretty much scared every time he was down in Miami."

Rolle and Taylor, whose fathers were policemen in Homestead, Fla., started playing football together when they were 6 years old. They went on to become University of Miami teammates and NFL first-round draft picks. Both wore No. 21, Rolle for the Cardinals, Taylor for the Washington Redskins.

Rolle said he hadn't talked to Taylor in a while, and that the Redskin had withdrawn from the crowd he hung around with to build a new life with his girlfriend and young daughter.

"There was so much surrounding him," Rolle said. "Everyone was talking about him bad, so he just had to distance himself from everyone and live a life of his own. ... Within the last year, I've never seen anyone make such a dramatic change,"

Withdrawing from a bad crowd isn't easy, though, Rolle said.

"They say it was a burglary. It absolutely was not a burglary," he said. "Down South, where we're from, there were many people talking to Sean, a lot of jealousy, a lot of angry people.

"Sean, he had a large group of friends, and he no longer hung out with those friends, so you never know where this came from."

Rolle said his family rushed to the hospital to be with Taylor's family following the shooting.

"It really hasn't hit me yet," Rolle said, "the fact that I'm never going to see his face again, his ways, him performing on the field. My heart goes out to his girlfriend, his family, his little kid."

Rolle will leave immediately after Sunday's game against Cleveland on a flight to Miami, where he will attend Monday's memorial service. But Rolle wants fans to keep remembering Taylor as the player he was and the man he was becoming after some rough years.

"I'm going to keep his name alive," Rolle said. "Every time I make a play, I'm definitely going to mention him. I'm going to represent my 21 as his 21."

Rolle said he and Taylor became friends as 6-year-old teammates for the Homestead Hurricanes. Later, when they played against each other, Rolle was a running back and Taylor a linebacker.

"They'd call a sweep one way," Rolle said. "I would look at him on that side, and I would change the play myself and go the other way because I knew he would try to knock my head off."

Rolle was an All-American as a senior in 2004 and was picked eighth overall by the Cardinals. A year before, Taylor earned similar honors at Miami, then went to Washington as the fifth overall choice.

"I definitely will go out there and play and do everything I can do because I know how much he loved the game," Rolle said. "I don't think there was anyone who lived it or took it as seriously as he did. I just told myself I'm not going to let his name die. We started when we were 6 years old, and we're going to finish it together."