[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Race for Johan

whomper

I read this morning the Yanks have pulled out of the Johan race but that could be a bunch of BS to lull the Sox into thinking they are the only game in town.

Note: The Twins do not HAVE to move Johan now - they have time on their side and it's possible he will re-sign.

I read this morning the Yanks have pulled out of the Johan race but that could be a bunch of BS to lull the Sox into thinking they are the only game in town.

Note: The Twins do not HAVE to move Johan now - they have time on their side and it's possible he will re-sign.

The Twins will not put up the money it will take to resign Johan and from what i heard if he is not traded by the beginning of the season he will veto all in season trades, thereby becoming a FA at the end of the season and then the Twins don't get diddley squat. Time is something they do not have because if teams start spending their money elsewhere on other SP's they may be left holding the bag.

The Yanks have been mediocre or worse in the last 7 years. How many titles have they won, how many times have they been bounced in the first round, with the largest payroll in North American team sports. George calls any season without a WS Championship a failure. What do you think he thinks of 1st round exits with that payroll. Mediocre or worse is probably a nicer way of putting it than the Spankees own owner would say it. :D

And a lil reminder to those who seem to want to post useless stats like regular season win totals. See Below.

1. The Yanks have 0 WS Championships this decade, the Red Sox have 2. :D

2. The Yanks can win all the regular season games in the world, but its the playoffs that matter, and the Yanks havent got out of the first round lately. :wacko:

i would just like to point out that the "mediocre" yankees have won more playoff matchups over this time than the dallas cowboys (zero)

i would just like to point out that the "mediocre" yankees have won more playoff matchups over this time than the dallas cowboys (zero)

Cowboys dont have a 200 mil payroll.

Cowboys dont have a SB or bust campaign every year

Cowboys play in a league that has a salary cap - If Yankees did they wouldnt even make the playoffs. IF the Cowboys did, they would buy Championships every year.

Seriously - Do you ever make sense. :D

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

The more I think about it..Nobody is going to beat the Sox if they get Johan..They would be tough to beat without him as evident by the recent title..Add the best sp in baseball and they are going to cruise

A little note of warning about Santana:

" Sherman noted, that the Yanks had minor concerns that after Santana struck out 17 on Aug. 19 that he stopped throwing his slider and was 2-4 with a 5.11 ERA in his final seven starts . This is exactly the kind of statement that I tabled in my Santana Claus blog piece on Nov. 26. At that time I noted that I'd expect the Yankees' scouts to pay their due diligence and make sure there was nothing physically wrong with Santana. Hearing that a guy stopped throwing his slider for the final month of the season to me is a red flag - even if he was saving his arm because they were out of the race, it makes me wonder how taxing that slider really is for him to throw."

Here's hoping the Red Sox remember Jeff Bagwell when they consider trading Jacoby Ellsbury.

:D DON'T TRADE JACOBY!! :D

#1 That's my thinking. This kid is a superstar in the making. just wait another 2yrs. if not sooner. Being a Yankee fan I would love to see Boston trade him out of the division. Remember Sox Fans Manny and Ortiz ain't exactly young. add in Drew and Lowell and Varitek, They need to start injecting some youth into their lineup.

#1 That's my thinking. This kid is a superstar in the making. just wait another 2yrs. if not sooner. Being a Yankee fan I would love to see Boston trade him out of the division. Remember Sox Fans Manny and Ortiz ain't exactly young. add in Drew and Lowell and Varitek, They need to start injecting some youth into their lineup.

Its a strange dynamic this Johan thing because I think the sox might only need Johan to keep him from the Yanks..If Johan joins Pettite and Joba is all he has been billed as a starter, Hughes , Kennedy and Wang..Thats a diesel staff..The Sox can probably win without Johan..I dont think the Yankees can win if the Sox get Johan

Here's hoping the Red Sox remember Jeff Bagwell when they consider trading Jacoby Ellsbury.

If I was Boston, Id deal Lester and a prospect for Haren. No way Id deal anything else. Boston is loaded with young talent, and great older clutch hitters. They dont need Johan, but he would definately help them win more WS now. But their future could get dicey if they dealt too much youth for him.

If I was Boston, Id deal Lester and a prospect for Haren. No way Id deal anything else. Boston is loaded with young talent, and great older clutch hitters. They dont need Johan, but he would definately help them win more WS now. But their future could get dicey if they dealt too much youth for him.

The thing is, and I really hate this about MLB, is that Boston is one of the teams that has enough money to buy talent where they are short.

The thing is, and I really hate this about MLB, is that Boston is one of the teams that has enough money to buy talent where they are short.

Seriously asking and not fishing but as a Sox fan if they get Johan do you somewhat see it as them starting to seriously dive into the hugh spending scooping up big names approach that the Yanks have somewhat "failed" with recently ? I know Boston has been spending more and more recently yet they havent lost chemistry which is a credit to them..Maybe its Francona or the team self regulating..Are they beating the Yankees at their own game and how do you feel about that as a sox fan ?

Seriously asking and not fishing but as a Sox fan if they get Johan do you somewhat see it as them starting to seriously dive into the hugh spending scooping up big names approach that the Yanks have somewhat "failed" with recently ? I know Boston has been spending more and more recently yet they havent lost chemistry which is a credit to them..Maybe its Francona or the team self regulating..Are they beating the Yankees at their own game and how do you feel about that as a sox fan ?

No....I don't see that happening. They just don't have the bank that the Yankees have. The Red Sox can afford more mistakes than most, but there is a reason the NYY payroll is almost 50% higher than the Boston payroll. I see them continuing to try to find players that fit their baseball concept.

One thing you have to give the Red Sox credit for ISMHO is that they draw lines that they won't cross when it comes to player value (in $$ or prospects), and that has served them well in maintaining their farm system and not letting the payroll get quite to the level of NY.

I forgot Hanly Ramariz was alson in the Sox farm system, until they dealt him for Beckett. Think of how great that lineup could have been, if they just bought SP like the Spankees, and kept their home grown talent.

I don't see how the trade for Beckett can be looked at as a negative, particularly considering the year Lowell had. Having Ramirez would be nice, don't get me wrong. I liked the deal at the time, though, and would do it again in a heartbeat

OU has 2 BCS wins in this decade. but nice try idiot.

ok, i was wrong, OU won 1 bcs bowl since the yankees last WS, a ho-hum bowl that didnt matter and they beat oregon. i guess it's those spectacular losses that stand out, like getting the everloving schit kicked out of them by USC in the NC game, or losing to boise state :D

ok, i was wrong, OU won 1 bcs bowl since the yankees last WS, a ho-hum bowl that didnt matter and they beat oregon. i guess it's those spectacular losses that stand out, like getting the everloving schit kicked out of them by USC in the NC game, or losing to boise state :D

It was the Rose Bowl, and it wasnt Oregon. Are you ever right? They beat Oregon as well, but not in the Rose Bowl.

And they won the NC in 2000. Id say that bowl was a lil better than ho hum. But whatever you say Chump.

Heard this AM on the radio that a deal with the Sox is almost a sure thing and it's the Jacoby deal that they are looking at. Like I said heard it on ESPN radio so take it for what it's worth.

Heard this AM on the radio that a deal with the Sox is almost a sure thing and it's the Jacoby deal that they are looking at. Like I said heard it on ESPN radio so take it for what it's worth.

Jacoby and Lester or Bucholtz ?

I forgot Hanly Ramariz was alson in the Sox farm system, until they dealt him for Beckett. Think of how great that lineup could have been, if they just bought SP like the Spankees, and kept their home grown talent.

Buying big money SP did not help the Yankees win...once they started signing the big money free agents, they stopped winning WS. The 1996-2000 seasons were led by a staff that was both homegrown talent, trades and lower level free agent pitchers Very few big money free agents in there, if any, as I recall.

Edited by The Wolf

By my calculations, in the time frame of 1996 – 2000, the Yankees had four “big money free agent” signings @ SP - unless I’m misinterpreting your definition of “big money”.

In ‘96 it was Kenny Rogers & David Cone. In ‘97 it was David Wells. And in ’99 it was Roger Clemens.

Below is the data I compiled from baseball-reference:

Key:*  = signed as free agent in past** = signed as free agent that year'96:			Annual SaleryAndy Pettitte 		= $ 195,000*Jimmy Key   		= $ 1,750,000**Kenny Rogers	  	= $ 5,000,000*Dwight Gooden	     	= $ 950,000**David Cone	     	= $ 4,666,667Ramiro Mendoza	     	= $ 157,000Scott Kamieniecki	= $ 1,100,000Team Total		= $ 13,818,667'97:			Annual SaleryAndy Pettitte		= $ 600,000**David Wells		= $ 3,766,667*David Cone		= $ 6,666,667*Kenny Rogers		= $ 5,000,000*Dwight Gooden		= $ 2,000,000Hideki Irabu		= $ 2,325,000Team Total		= $ 34,177,001'98:			Annual SaleryAndy Pettitte		= $ 3,800,000*David Cone		= $ 6,666,667*David Wells		= $ 4,666,666Hideki Irabu		= $ 2,925,000Orlando Hernandez 	= $ 750,000Team Total		= $ 18,808,333'99:			Annual SaleryOrlando Hernandez	= $ 1,850,000*David Cone		= $ 9,500,000Andy Pettitte		= $ 5,950,000**Roger Clemens		= $ 8,250,000Hideki Irabu		= $ 3,125,000Team Total		= $ 28,675,000'00:			Annual Salery*Roger Clemens		= $ 6,350,000Andy Pettitte		= $ 7,000,000*David Cone		= $ 12,000,000Orlando Hernandez	= $ 1,950,000Denny Neagle		= $ 4,750,000Ramiro Mendoza		= $ 1,400,000Team Total		= $ 33,450,000

Maybe I’m missing something here? :D

My bad Wolf, I looked at it again, and Clemens was part of a trade in ‘99 to the Yankees from the Blue Jays for Wells and two other players. I can’t believe I forgot that trade. :D

And technically, Cone did go to the Yankees in a trade in ’95, but was a free agent after that season and the Yankees re-singed him in ‘96.

My bad Wolf, I looked at it again, and Clemens was part of a trade in ‘99 to the Yankees from the Blue Jays for Wells and two other players. I can’t believe I forgot that trade. :D

And technically, Cone did go to the Yankees in a trade in ’95, but was a free agent after that season and the Yankees re-singed him in ‘96.

No worries...I figured that you'd realize that sooner or later.