[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Would you split the pot?

detlef

Splitting the pot  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Would you or have you made a deal with the other finalist to split the pot?

• Never, that's for feminine hygene products
    • Like hedging the last bet on a winning parlay, common sense
    • It depends on how I feel about my chances

Apparently, I'm being kicked out of the league over this. Unbelievable. I'm not even sure what to say, or if I should even bother. Some people are more delusional than I gave them credit for.

Wow, that takes a special brand of pettiness, paranoia, and stupidity.

I'm sorry that your leaguemates have stooped to such a pathetic level.

Apparently, I'm being kicked out of the league over this. Unbelievable. I'm not even sure what to say, or if I should even bother. Some people are more delusional than I gave them credit for.

Wow. Whenever I see a FF league make a decision that I believe is unjust, I feel as if I have been wronged as well. Sorry to hear that the league has made this decision, but in some ways they did you a favor by revealing their pettiness, so you now know not to waste your time playing with them anymore. If anything, I would think that they have tarnished their league and their reputation, not yours.

Whenever there is ever a question about whether a rule is valid or not, let me offer you these wise words of comfort that another Huddler recently stated, "No rule is more right than another, just personal preference of that league." I hope that helps.

UPDATE: Looks like it was all just a big joke. Next year's April Fool's showed up for Christmas time. They aren't being kicked out. :tup:

Edited by electricrelish

:nukepickslure: Whhiiizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...Plop! zip...zip...nibble...nibble...CHOMP...TUG...

Not sure I'm buying it, but if it was indeed just a fishing trip, my hat goes off to Nuke... Well played.

That being said, if people truly have a problem with us splitting it 50/50, I'm fine with leaving the payouts as they were originally intended.

Not sure I'm buying it, but if it was indeed just a fishing trip, my hat goes off to Nuke... Well played.

That being said, if people truly have a problem with us splitting it 50/50, I'm fine with leaving the payouts as they were originally intended.

You mean a thread from 2007 was bumped back up so we would all participate in a practical joke? Nice. Very well played. I got suckered.

It was definitely a big April Fools played by Nuke as he's been looking to hook a big fish since he told me that I was eliminated from the playoffs in this same league a week ago, for not having 7 homers on my team, hoping to catch me sleeping on the rules which state we only need to have 6. He was dejected to find that I knew the rule and didn't get upset but boy oh boy, he's gotta be feeling good after Gopher took the bait and was thrashing about in the water.

You mean a thread from 2007 was bumped back up so we would all participate in a practical joke? Nice. Very well played. I got suckered.

No, Nuke was joking but I do believe that FWmaker, another owner in league, is truly irrationally upset with the pot split, so he posted this thread in the league forum. I too, am simply amazed that he's throwing such a tantrum about this and believe that he also has to be on a fishing trip here. When it comes down to it, it's no longer his or any of the other league owners' money anymore and the winners can do with it as they please cause they've rightfully earned it. Hell, maybe he should view the "breaking" of the payout rules as a pirate act and fitting to this league.

FW and Club, you're good guys/huddlers, maybe it's time to just sit back, suck a few down, enjoy the Holiday season and how fortunate you have it in comparison to others before I make ya both walk the plank.

It was definitely a big April Fools played by Nuke as he's been looking to hook a big fish since he told me that I was eliminated from the playoffs in this same league a week ago, for not having 7 homers on my team, hoping to catch me sleeping on the rules which state we only need to have 6. He was dejected to find that I knew the rule and didn't get upset but boy oh boy, he's gotta be feeling good after Gopher took the bait and was thrashing about in the water.

I just wriggled free, but feel like I've got a big bloody hole in my lip to show for it.

But also, I do think there is just a little bit of a bad taste left in peoples mouth about splitting pots. I don't know how to put it, but it just feels a little wrong to me. No big deal, though. I think FWmaker was just pushing this thread in general, because he didn't want to call anybody out personally. Not sure. Can't speak for him. But boy did it present an opportunity for nuke. :lol:

i didn't read the whole thread again but wouldn't it just be simpller to keep the winner as #1, loser as #2.

Then those 2 could have some of side bet on the outcome of the game?

Or is that the same thing?

whats the difference lol?

Fantasy leagues, I play against the same friends for years. Definite rivalries. I want the glory, bragging rights, and the $.

Survivor pools are often several hundred people (most of whom don't know each other) and the pot can be significantly higher. When there's $8-9K at stake(which is the case in one I play in every year), if someone wants to split that 50/50 or even by 3, I would consider it depending on what teams I had left vs who they had.

Fantasy leagues usually have 2nd place money. Survivor pools usually are all or nothin. That's part of it, too

Edited by Delicious_bass

Like others have already said ... if the last 2 owners standing choose to split the pot in a manner that is agreeable to both then the other owners NOT IN THE SUPER BOWL have nothing to say about it.

Having said that ... anybody in our league that did it and won the game would ALWAYS catch smack about his lack of faith in the ability of his team to finish the job, ESPECIALLY if he won it going away.

Correct, if you make such an agreement and tell the rest of the league (why do you need to do that), the other owners have every right to talk smack and ridicule the owners for their lack of trust in their team. They don't have the right to tell the owners "you cannot do that" because the moeny is theres and they can do whatever they want with it.

Would never do it myself, but then I don't play in that kind of high dollar league as mentioned by the OP. There's probably a difference of $200-300 between 1st & 2nd place in our league, but I'm playing for that money, not offering to split it somehow (winner should always get more IMHO).

PS One last thing, your commissioner is not obligated to handle this money split for you, if the chose not to do it the owners can always exchange the money themselves. (And if you need a commissioner to handle it to make sure nobody backs out then you have some real dillweeds in your league.) I don't believe we've ever had owners split the winnings, and I can see where a commish says "our payout is X, and I won't deviate from that, if you want to split your money differently you deal with it".

Fantasy leagues, I play against the same friends for years. Definite rivalries. I want the glory, bragging rights, and the $.

Survivor pools are often several hundred people (most of whom don't know each other) and the pot can be significantly higher. When there's $8-9K at stake(which is the case in one I play in every year), if someone wants to split that 50/50 or even by 3, I would consider it depending on what teams I had left vs who they had.

Fantasy leagues usually have 2nd place money. Survivor pools usually are all or nothin. That's part of it, too

fair enough

In all examples. If you are playing for money, play for money. If you are playing for pride, then there is no need to add the money element.

In every league I have ever been in, there is a defined payout for 1st plae and a defined payout for 2nd place in the league rules. As a league memeber, that makes it my business even if I amnot in the Super Bowl, IMHO.

Do league rules define a payout for 1st place and a payout for 2nd place? If they do, then I am not sure what is debatable.

This is why I feel if it is done, it should be an agreement between those 2 owners, and handled solely by them. And probably doesn't need to be made public for the whole league. (Why do they need to know, especially if it may cause grief.) You want to do something with that money after you won it, fine. But involving the commissioner, and league is actually asking for a modification to the league payout rules.

Well, for starters, there has to be a league designated split even if you have no problem with letting the finalist divide it as they please because you need a default in case they can't agree. It does take two to tango, after all. If only one wants it, then the obvious choice is to go with the league set-up.

Has anyone actually defined the "harm"? Outside of it not fitting their notion of why you play the game?

Do their league rules specifically say that the designated split is not to be messed with? Or does it simply lay out what each place gets?

As has been mentioned earlier. These guys could simply slide one or the other the difference and nobody would be the wiser. By telling the commish they want the money split a different way, they're actually being transparent about it. Not that many of us even feel we owe that to anyone.

Keep in mind, this is not about expecting anyone to feel compelled to split a pot if that's not their thing, but rather not getting pissed that two others do. I realize the poll, when started 5 years ago, failed to give that as an option, but that is certainly what the discussion has evolved to.

My turn to play devil's advocate, does a rule (even one about a payout formula) really need to specifically state that it shouldn't be messed with? When you put in scoring rules "6 points for passing TD" does that include a "don't mess with it" clause.

Rules are rules, if you want to handle the money differently do it, but its probably best done between the two owners and without the knowledge of the other owners or commissioner. I don't really care what you do, but if you inform me or involve the commissioner you've made it a league issue.

You make it sound as if the payout part of the league rules is just some default if the owners in the playoffs/championship game cannot come to some other agreement. I'd argue that any "agreement" to split winnings is private and outside the league, since the rules clearly state how the money is split.

I wouldn't label it collusion either, but a desire to have a different payout.

I wouldn't do it and I would encourage the league as a whole not to do it as well. Once it happens, you face the real possibility of it being EXPECTED. I'm sorry but if it has been going on a couple years and I make the chip, I'm not gonna feel guilty at all when I say "I don't think so pal...I'm a greedy SOB and I want it all".

I wouldn't do it and I would encourage the league as a whole not to do it as well. Once it happens, you face the real possibility of it being EXPECTED. I'm sorry but if it has been going on a couple years and I make the chip, I'm not gonna feel guilty at all when I say "I don't think so pal...I'm a greedy SOB and I want it all".

That's a good point as well. I used to regularly attend reverse raffles at my church, and with $1000-3000 on the line for the winner, the last 5 tickets were always consulted to see if they wanted to split. I saw some people get pretty upset with those who didn't want to split (just like the FF case all need to agree). Since the ticket owners almost always agreed to a split (with winner getting a larger portion, and the others all getting something instead of nothing) people expected it and got bent when somebody didn't want to split.

i didn't read the whole thread again but wouldn't it just be simpller to keep the winner as #1, loser as #2.

Nah, it was pretty easy the way it worked out...

Me- Hey Gopher, wanna split the pot of $500, $250 each?

Gopher- Sure.

Me- Cool, GL in the game for bragging rights.

Gopher- Thanks, you too.

Then Nuke went on a fishing trip and FWmaker fell asleep and dreamt he was the one I asked to split the pot with, woke up, realized he wasn't playing for anything and threw a tantrum. Days later we're still talking about this BS.

Now you tell me which of the 2 sounds simpler?

First off comparing this to a scoring rule is silly and implies a slippery slope that simply doesn't exist.

Case in point: there is no shortage of people who absolutely see the pre-set starting point but have no trouble splitting. However, none of us would dream of asking our opponent if he wanted to change what TDs were worth for our game.

Secondly, given the level of paranoia and questions about trusting these guys in the future, I can't imagine the chight storm that guys would face in these leagues if they didn't openly disclose this and then anyone found out.

No. It seems like the easiest solution is the fools need to relax and not tell another man what he an do with his money.

Heckle them? Sure. If that soothes the pain of knowing both these "pu$$ies" made it to the finals and you didn't, so be it.

If the commish wants to be a dick about it and "show the. Who's boss" by making them divide their own money. Whatever. Good for him.

Edited by detlef

Actually that's the best way to phrase it. All a fantasy football pot is is a bet that you can beat your leaguemates. Would you have a problem with them doing a side bet for more cash, or something unrelated? If not, then why in the world would you have a problem with them hedging a bet like is done in Vegas all the time?

Well, I had a feeling this would happen... If I split, I'd win, and if I didn't, I'd lose. Surprisingly, I won easily, as did the Vikings. First time I've ever split a pot, and likely the last. Not worth the drama, and had I known what drama it would cause, I never would have agreed to it in the first place. But, I ended up going 4/4 in title games today, including three BOTH leagues, and added a 3rd place win as well. Probably my best FF season ever, in 20+ years.

On a sidenote, Nuke made it pretty clear that his attempt to boot Irish and I from the league was no fishing trip. Fair enough... I'm not going to hold it against him or anyone else. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm just glad that a voice of reason (General Itals) prevailed.

Personally, I can understand how splitting a pot can be viewed as an odd move. I've seen it done before, and I've even had it happen in leagues that I've commished before. I remember thinking that it was an odd/unusual move, but never questioned the owners' integrity. If it were a dynasty/keeper league, or a league that has a lot of trades, or a league that has a lot of waivers action... I could maybe understand where owners would question the motives behind the move. This leagues has none of those things. The argument that splitting the pot is even less acceptable because of this league's format simply makes no sense. It's actually quite the opposite, really.

All of that said, in hindsight, I can understand why people might view it as opening a can of worms that they'd rather not deal with. Fair enough. Again, I'll likely never consider splitting a pot again. Moving on....