[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Super Bowl or Undefeated?

fredfred_fred

With the Pats closing in on an undefeated season and possible post-season and everyone talking about resting players because the main goal is to win the super bowl, I started wondering which one really is better: winning the super bowl or going undefeated? I use to think the SB, but now I'm leaning toward going undefeated. An undefeated season is so remarkable and rarely done--I'm pretty sure the Colts are not sitting on champagne hoping for a tie this year so there is one less SB winner.....Yet, ONE TEAM has gone undefeated in NFL history.

But i guess the $, notch in the belt with the SB, winning "the big game" (huge for competitors) make the SB better. I'm not convinced either way, but if I had a chance to go undefeated, I'd sure as heck give it a shot and not sit the players.

thoughts?

With the Pats closing in on an undefeated season and possible post-season and everyone talking about resting players because the main goal is to win the super bowl, I started wondering which one really is better: winning the super bowl or going undefeated? I use to think the SB, but now I'm leaning toward going undefeated. An undefeated season is so remarkable and rarely done--I'm pretty sure the Colts are not sitting on champagne hoping for a tie this year so there is one less SB winner.....Yet, ONE TEAM has gone undefeated in NFL history.

But i guess the $, notch in the belt with the SB, winning "the big game" (huge for competitors) make the SB better. I'm not convinced either way, but if I had a chance to go undefeated, I'd sure as heck give it a shot and not sit the players.

thoughts?

Undefeated in the playoffs and regular season is better. That is what 18-0?

If you are asking to choose the Superbowl is better because you are playing better teams in the playoffs.

Undefeated would make the record books, but the SB is still harder. It includes beating Indy again and that may not happen. They could have easily lost the last one. That day I thought the Colts were the better team.

Agree that winning the Super Bowl is most important thing on teams mind......Players play to win Championships......! IF they happen to go undefeated in the process, it's an added Bonus.....IF Pats go through regular season undefeated, make the Super Bowl, and lose, I'm sure they won't take consolation in, hey, we went 16 and 0 this year!!

Yeah, but that team wouldn't have been near as memorable if they hadn't finished if off with a Super Bowl win.

Agreed ... had that Dolphin team lost the SB they would always be remembered as the team that could not finish.

Kind of like Manning was the QB that could not win the big game despite all his records ... until last year

Yeah, but that team wouldn't have been near as memorable if they hadn't finished if off with a Super Bowl win.

I'll agree that it's not as impressive.

But it will still be very memorable if they don't.

It's a record that can only be tied, never broken.

(Even adding more regular season games than the Dolphins hasn't diminished the feat).

The Pats had a 20 something win streak that crossed multiple seasons.

Very impressive... more so since they won the Super Bowl during the streak.

But impressive nonetheless.

I'll agree that it's not as impressive.

But it will still be very memorable if they don't.

It's a record that can only be tied, never broken.

(Even adding more regular season games than the Dolphins hasn't diminished the feat).

The Pats had a 20 something win streak that crossed multiple seasons.

Very impressive... more so since they won the Super Bowl during the streak.

But impressive nonetheless.

agree

Nobody will care about an undefeated regular season if they can't finish it off with a Super Bowl victory. They've played, what, four decent teams this year? Impressive but nothing like a playoff run.

I agree with Seahawks21 ... :D Seriously. Regular season is interesting -- playoffs are what matter.

having played many sports and having great seasons, only to lose the championship sucks!

yeh, you can lick your wounds and say, blah, blah, blah.....but it doesnt make up for being runner up.

it is kind of a dumb question.....and to a man, i asure you, the Patriots have their eyes on the SB

and nothing else.

Infamy is better.

The undefeated season. Everyone knows the 1972 Dolphins.

Not many can remember all the Super Bowl Champions. Let alone the last 10 years.

Happens every year and gets lost in the mix after a few seasons.

Does anybody remember the TWO Bear teams that went undefeated in the regular season and lost in the first round of the playoffs?

FIrst, what does the title of this thread mean by the use of the word "better"? Is it asking which one would be more gratifying, or which one would be more memorable??

The undefeated regular season would be more memorable, my guess is this argument wouldn't even be close.

Let's run with the Steelers reference. Would you rather be a player/fan of a team like the Steelers team that was the six seed and ultimately won the Super Bowl, or a player/fan of a team like the Pats that goes 16-0 and ultimately loses in the playoffs?

Maybe it's because my hometown team has never had one, but I gotta go with the ring 8 days a week.