[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

On Frozen Pond

jaxfactor

Man, it's snowing like crazy in Buffalo. Hockey game outdoors. This should be fun. I will be flipping between the hockey game and the Florida-Michigan game.

The NHL is incredibly stupid for scheduling this game during New Years Day college football games.

That was awesome to watch. The quality of the play was diminished because the snow was piling up on the ice, making it hard for passing and stickhandling, but they still did pretty good. Penguins won it in a shootout...Crosby got the game winner with a nice five-hole shot. Watching in Hi Def was cool......you could almost taste the snowflakes!

I would be willing to bet that scheduling the game on New Year's against the bowl games had zero impact on the ratings. Hockey people will watch hockey when it's on, and people who don't like hockey simply won't watch it, even if it's the only thing on. Actually, it was a nice change of pace, and unlike the bowl (ie "exhibition") games, the hockey game counted for something in the standings.

:D

Edited by Skilly

That was awesome to watch. The quality of the play was diminished because the snow was piling up on the ice, making it hard for passing and stickhandling, but they still did pretty good. Penguins won it in a shootout...Crosby got the game winner with a nice five-hole shot. Watching in Hi Def was cool......you could almost taste the snowflakes!

I would be willing to bet that scheduling the game on New Year's against the bowl games had zero impact on the ratings. Hockey people will watch hockey when it's on, and people who don't like hockey simply won't watch it, even if it's the only thing on. Actually, it was a nice change of pace, and unlike the bowl (ie "exhibition") games, the hockey game counted for something in the standings.

:D

The bowl games are not exhibitions and are far more important to the teams and their seasons then one of 82 NHL games. That said I flipped back and forth to the NHL game and found it interesting but the elements definately affected the game, slowing it down like the weather will do in the NFL / NCAA and even in baseball occasionally. Fun to watch though but I'm on a big hockey kick lately.

A game in Buffalo in January, guess it could have been worse. lol

Edited by chiefjay

I got a kick out a radio broadcast talking about it. Some idiot called in and said they should do it with baseball and basketball. The broadcaster said, what play a baseball game in a sandlot with broken bottles? an NBA game outdoors in NYC?

Obviously, the delivery was better than that, but you get the point. :duh:

crosby is sick

better and better all the time

the play where he took the puck , lifted and batted it a few times to get through the 3 defenders was amazing and almost worked

Wow, if he played that well while he was sick I would love to see him play a game fully healthy...

I've never played hockey since I've never lived in Canada or anywhere cold enough to freeze outdoors for a long enough period....but that was f'n awesome watching it on TV. :D

If all games were outside, I might even become somewhat of a hockey fan.