[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who wins: Jax @ NE

H8tank

123 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins: Jax @ NE

• Jaguars
    • Patriots

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

ok so no seriously since you are one of the more level headed pats fans...do you see this as a game that "shouldn't be close"?

The Jags have been playing fairly well, and people have thrown out a lot of numbers in this thread.

I am not going to lay down numbers...I am going to talk about this in terms of what the teams have done and what they have been doing lately.

The Jags have lost 5 games this year, to Indy twice, Houston (And I understand the circumstances, but it was their choice to approach the game the way they did), Tennessee, and New Orleans. I will grant them that they beat Pittsburgh twice on the road late in the season and in the playoffs, but I also think Pittsburgh is a little bit of a poser of a team. However you slice it, Jax is 4-1 in their last 5...with the only loss coming in a meaningless game.

I think they are playing well enough to make it a game, at least for a half to three quarters.

The Patriots are 16-0 and have not been beaten at home in the playoffs in the Belichick/Brady era. All the talk of their numbers against the run and running the ball are as exaggerated as their number against the pass. The only numbers that tell true IMO from having seen all of the games (except the first one) are their passing numbers which are dominant.

They are very much a changeling team with the versatility in talent to keep up with their opponents in virtually every kind of game. They have shown this consistently for the past 6 seasons. They are tested in cold weather. Maroney is running the ball well. Their redzone defense late in the season has been terrific. And they had a bye last week. I wonder if you looked back through the Belichick era if his team has lost a game coming off a bye week. I'm betting no.

So I think the Jags have what it takes to make a game of it, at least through the half and into three quarters. And I think that in the end of the game the Patriots will pull away from them and the score will not be that close. A win in excess of 2 TD would not surprise me.

Funny thing, I have only made this claim a couple of times this season, and those games were Baltimore and NYJ. I am not sure if I made them on the boards, but I certainly made them via IM to a Huddler or 2. And I was wrong.

Bearing that in mind, I have total confidence in BB's Patriots in this game. I am not sure how I am going to feel about the AFC Championship game....if I am right about this week. I'll worry about that when it's time, if it's time, though....

The Jags have been playing fairly well, and people have thrown out a lot of numbers in this thread.

I am not going to lay down numbers...I am going to talk about this in terms of what the teams have done and what they have been doing lately.

The Jags have lost 5 games this year, to Indy twice, Houston (And I understand the circumstances, but it was their choice to approach the game the way they did), Tennessee, and New Orleans. I will grant them that they beat Pittsburgh twice on the road late in the season and in the playoffs, but I also think Pittsburgh is a little bit of a poser of a team. However you slice it, Jax is 4-1 in their last 5...with the only loss coming in a meaningless game.

I think they are playing well enough to make it a game, at least for a half to three quarters.

The Patriots are 16-0 and have not been beaten at home in the playoffs in the Belichick/Brady era. All the talk of their numbers against the run and running the ball are as exaggerated as their number against the pass. The only numbers that tell true IMO from having seen all of the games (except the first one) are their passing numbers which are dominant.

They are very much a changeling team with the versatility in talent to keep up with their opponents in virtually every kind of game. They have shown this consistently for the past 6 seasons. They are tested in cold weather. Maroney is running the ball well. Their redzone defense late in the season has been terrific. And they had a bye last week. I wonder if you looked back through the Belichick era if his team has lost a game coming off a bye week. I'm betting no.

So I think the Jags have what it takes to make a game of it, at least through the half and into three quarters. And I think that in the end of the game the Patriots will pull away from them and the score will not be that close. A win in excess of 2 TD would not surprise me.

Funny thing, I have only made this claim a couple of times this season, and those games were Baltimore and NYJ. I am not sure if I made them on the boards, but I certainly made them via IM to a Huddler or 2. And I was wrong.

Bearing that in mind, I have total confidence in BB's Patriots in this game. I am not sure how I am going to feel about the AFC Championship game....if I am right about this week. I'll worry about that when it's time, if it's time, though....

waiiiittt...did you say maroney is running the ball well?....dont let keggerz hear you say that

waiiiittt...did you say maroney is running the ball well?....dont let keggerz hear you say that

he made a vague enough statement that its not worth getting into...but nick is also a level headed fan....you however made statements that weren't true and didnt hold any water

And they had a bye last week. I wonder if you looked back through the Belichick era if his team has lost a game coming off a bye week. I'm betting no.

The 3 years they've had the bye, they've won the Superbowl.

The 2 years they've played a wildcard game, they've ended up losing on the road.

- 2005 they beat Jax at home and lost @ Denver.

- 2006 they beat the Jets at home, won @ SD and lost @ Indy.

I am not sure how I am going to feel about the AFC Championship game....if I am right about this week. I'll worry about that when it's time, if it's time, though....

+1

he made a vague enough statement that its not worth getting into...but nick is also a level headed fan....you however made statements that weren't true and didnt hold any water

I didn't intend to be vague....I think it's fair to say that 59 carries for 306 yards and 4 TDs in the final 3 games qualifies as "has been running the ball well"

It's not LT circa 2006, but it makes him something the defense has to worry about. And IMO that is all the Patriots care about when it comes to the running game. Making the opposing defense have to commit to playing the run normally, or close to it.

The 3 years they've had the bye, they've won the Superbowl.

The 2 years they've played a wildcard game, they've ended up losing on the road.

- 2005 they beat Jax at home and lost @ Denver.

- 2006 they beat the Jets at home, won @ SD and lost @ Indy.

+1

I was speaking about any game after a bye....regular season as well. But I think they are undefeated after the bye in any case, I just don't have the time to look it up.

I didn't intend to be vague....I think it's fair to say that 59 carries for 306 yards and 4 TDs in the final 3 games qualifies as "has been running the ball well"

It's not LT circa 2006, but it makes him something the defense has to worry about. And IMO that is all the Patriots care about when it comes to the running game. Making the opposing defense have to commit to playing the run normally, or close to it.

those final 3 games are NYJ, MIA, NYG

actually his final stats vs NYJ looked good but you can find that thread that i showed FIDTML that the game vs the jets was less then stellar....MIA was at the bottom in Rushing D so it shouldnt be surprising that he was able to put up good numbers vs them and if his 19 for 46 with a 2.4 YPC is inspiring to you going into the playoffs then more power to you. Yes, I see that he had 2 TDs vs the Gmen too

Well, hell, I would hope so. NE played the worst 2 run Ds in the league in 2 of those last 3 games. It should be noted that he came back to Earth in the last game, though, managing 46 yds and a whopping 2.4 ypc in the last game against NY.

those final 3 games are NYJ, MIA, NYG

actually his final stats vs NYJ looked good but you can find that thread that i showed FIDTML that the game vs the jets was less then stellar....MIA was at the bottom in Rushing D so it shouldnt be surprising that he was able to put up good numbers vs them and if his 19 for 46 with a 2.4 YPC is inspiring to you going into the playoffs then more power to you. Yes, I see that he had 2 TDs vs the Gmen too

It's getting the job done. I don't need to be inspired by little things that can be picked apart. I am inspired by the whole package that they put together.

Feel free to try and shoot little instances out of the sky, but you know as well as I do that someone can always find a circumstance that defines a number. I care about the circumstance of how the whole team is executing, and that is "very well"

Well, hell, I would hope so. NE played the worst 2 run Ds in the league in 2 of those last 3 games. It should be noted that he came back to Earth in the last game, though, managing 46 yds and a whopping 2.4 ypc in the last game against NY.

Versus the Jets(took this from another thread):

Maroney had 13 carries in each half:

1st Half 13 for 56 4.3ypc BUT WAIT....take away his 11 yard run(remember it was you that started taking plays away as you saw fit) and his average drops to 3.46 :D

2nd Half 13 for 48 3.69ypc :D BUT WAIT...take away his 9 yard run in the 3rd series of the 2nd half(they never crossed the 50 on that series) and his YPC would be.....READY?........ :wacko: 3.25 :D

Oh and one last thing...of his 26 carries 11(ELEVEN) were for 3 yards or less(thats 42% of his carries that were less then 3yrds) :D

as far as my saying to take away the 11 yard run and the 9 yard run it was because FIDTML was saying "take away the 49 yard run by washington"

but still 11 of his 26 carries went for 3 yards or less versus one of the worse run Ds in the league

It's getting the job done. I don't need to be inspired by little things that can be picked apart. I am inspired by the whole package that they put together.

Feel free to try and shoot little instances out of the sky, but you know as well as I do that someone can always find a circumstance that defines a number. I care about the circumstance of how the whole team is executing, and that is "very well"

you act like they went 16-0...

... without an asterisk or something

:D

Edited by keggerz

what kind of fan are you that you dont even know the game will be done on saturday :D

He's probably like the rest of us with a team in the playoffs ( :D ). We won't be able to speak coherently till the next day.

I know I won't. Which ever way it goes.

yeah the Pats are #2 in TOP but lets be honest its not because of a ball control offense.....it is largely(and no i dont have the time to go and break down the stats to proove it) due to the fact that teams are forced to pass a ton in the 2nd half of games because they are behind....the fact that the pats faced the fewest rushing attempts supports this....

{if a team is forced to pass and since the pats lost then we have to assume that they werent successful then the clock isnt gonna be in their favor} <------ i really dont know what you mean by this sentence.

you kinda shoot yourself in the foot here...

the first part of your quote is exactly one of the main reasons why the Jags will have a difficult time.

with the Patriots being up, other teams have to pass....so that puts a win for the Jags on Garrards arm.

I'l take my chances on that if thats how it plays out. obviously the Jags strength is their running game,

so by the Patriots scoring, they take away the Jags main offensive weapon, following your logic.

now, can the Jags D stop the Patriots O?...i don't think so.

i'm not bashing at you, but some of your stats are skewed....one is the INT's.

the reason they are low is because they dont throw that much (on average). look at what happened in the Pit game

if you want some proof. INT's. 8 all year and 2 in that game...a playoff game none the less!

if this game comes down to Garrard v Brady, well is there really a choice there?

the more important phase of the game for Patriot concern is the special teams.

and more precisly, kick return defense....the Patriots must contain, keep reasonable,

the return yardage...the more they limit it, the more Jags will have to pass.

the more they give up, the more the Jags can run. field position will play a big part

in this game....

not a cake walk by any means for the Patriots, but i'm not to concerned about them losing either.

Edited by pig devilz

Jeremy "Daddy piped in crowd noise to the Metrodome" Green had this to say:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/c...mp;lid=tab2pos1

"So, yes, I guess I will continue to be unfazed by the Patriots' 16-0 record. And no, I am not a fan of the Jaguars or hater of the Patriots. A fan never thinks his team can lose, but no team is invincible. In the playoffs, it's one-and-done and anything can happen. Even Jacksonville beating New England."

the more important phase of the game for Patriot concern is the special teams.

and more precisly, kick return defense....the Patriots must contain, keep reasonable,

the return yardage...the more they limit it, the more Jags will have to pass.

the more they give up, the more the Jags can run. field position will play a big part

in this game....

You confused me on this part.I dont think the return yards will decide how much the Jags do or dont run.

If I remember right the Patriots gave up 4.4 yds per carry in the last 6 games of the season.IMO the Patriots ability to stop the run,the score and time left(if the jags are losing) will be what dictates the Jags passing.

Edited by xtra

You confused me on this part.I dont think the return yards will decide how much the Jags do or dont run.

If I remember right the Patriots gave up 4.4 yds per carry in the last 6 games of the season.IMO the Patriots ability to stop the run,the score and time left(if the jags are losing) will be what dictates the Jags passing.

yeh, what you're saying will contribute to how much the Jags pass...

what i'm saying is, dont give them a short field...the longer the field, the more they pass.

play a solid all around game and make the Jags do things they dont want to do...

one of which is, pass to move the ball down field.