[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Grammar Patrol

Egret

Here's one.

Effect is a noun, affect is a verb. Example:

The effect of the NY Giants win on Sunday was to cause several Cowboys fans to jump from high buildings.

or, put another way,

Cowboys fans were greatly affected by the NY Giants win on Sunday, so much so that they leaped from high buildings.

Alternately...

Many Cowboy fans exhibited a sad affect at the conclusion of the Giants game this past Sunday.

I have grammar issues.. Then and than I still have trouble with even though it was explained to me. Usage of commas..Usage of quotes. also when using quotes if its a question does the ? come after or before the closing quotation mark ? example . So hugh one said " who doesnt love man spray ? " or is it "Who doesnt love man spray" ? I also have trouble with effect and affect.

Then and than is confusing. Than- is conjunction or preposition and is used to compare things. She is taller than her sister or You know better than I do. Then- is used mostly as an adverb but can be used as a noun or adjective and in many cases used in relation to time. First comes spring, then summer. As a noun- By then we shall know the result of the election. Adjective- The then chairperson was the first to be informed of the budget deficit. Adverb-The noise stopped and then began again.

Using quotes isn't as tough but can be an issue when trying to decide between a direct quote versus a retelling, summarization or rewording of someone else's thoughts. The punctuation goes inside the quotes.

Effect and affect can be confusing as well as they sound alike and their meanings are related. Affect means to influence someone or something and is used as a verb: The change in the law affected all dog owners in the city. Effect refers to making something happen and can be used as a noun or verb: A recently effected change in the law requires people to leash their dogs. Computers have effected many changes in the way we live. Noun- The company's new advertising campaign had a positive effect on sales.

Edited by irish

:D Incorrect use of "affect". Should be "effect" in that context.

You are incorrect, sir. As a psychologist, it is very common in reports to write something like, "Mr. Doe's mood was depressed and his affect was congruent."

af·fect· (ə fekt′; for n. 2, af′ekt′)

transitive verb

to have an effect on; influence; produce a change in bright light affects the eyes

to move or stir the emotions of his death affected us deeply

Etymology: ME affecten < L affectare, to strive after < affectus, pp. of afficere, to influence, attack < ad-, to + facere, do

noun

Obsolete a disposition or tendency

Etymology: Ger affekt < L affectus, state of mind or body: see affectthe

Psychol.

an emotion or feeling attached to an idea, object, etc.

in general, emotion or emotional response

You are incorrect, sir. As a psychologist, it is very common in reports to write something like, "Mr. Doe's mood was depressed and his affect was congruent."

I stand corrected. :D

That must be a kind of jargon use, only seen within the shrink fraternity.

Then and than is confusing. Than- is conjunction or preposition and is used to compare things. She is taller than her sister or You know better than I do. Then- is used mostly as an adverb but can be used as a noun or adjective and in many cases used in relation to time. First comes spring, then summer. As a noun- By then we shall know the result of the election. Adjective- The then chairperson was the first to be informed of the budget deficit. Adverb-The noise stopped and then began again.

Using quotes isn't as tough but can be an issue when trying to decide between a direct quote versus a retelling, summarization or rewording of someone else's thoughts. The punction goes inside the quotes.

Effect and affect can be confusing as well as they sound alike and their meanings are related. Affect means to influence someone or something and is used as a verb: The change in the law affected all dog owners in the city. Effect refers to making something happen and can be used as a noun or verb: A recently effected change in the law requires people to leash their dogs. Computers have effected many changes in the way we live. Noun- The company's new advertising campaign had a positive effect on sales.

:D Nice work..Thanks

affect can also be used as a noun.

:wacko: Nice work..Thanks

No problem. :D

affect can also be used as a noun.

Yes it can.

Your posts have more of an affect on me than TBones..

Nicely done. :D Although there would be an apostrophe after the s in TBones' showing ownership of his posts or would it be TBones's'? :D Or is it actually TBones (himeslf) that has less of an affect on you? :D

Edited by irish

Affect can be used as a noun but only in connection with psychiatry, it seems:

af·fect1 /v. əˈfɛkt; n. ˈæfɛkt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[v. uh-fekt; n. af-ekt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–verb (used with object)

1. to act on; produce an effect or change in: Cold weather affected the crops.

2. to impress the mind or move the feelings of: The music affected him deeply.

3. (of pain, disease, etc.) to attack or lay hold of.

–noun

4. Psychology. feeling or emotion.

5. Psychiatry. an expressed or observed emotional response: Restricted, flat, or blunted affect may be a symptom of mental illness, especially schizophrenia.

6. Obsolete. affection; passion; sensation; inclination; inward disposition or feeling.

Other uses as a noun are obsolete.

Affect can be used as a noun but only in connection with psychiatry, it seems:

Other uses as a noun are obsolete.

It's all good. I wasn't going to argue the point as I already cosidered it a legit addition to the discussion.

I read this book a few years ago. I hate seeing grammar mistakes becoming the norm instead of the exception. I was typing today when my email spell checker told me that I spelled a word wrong. I didn't spell it wrong.

The word was: James's. Apparently the spell checker is fine with James'. That's wrong. When using an apostrophe to show possession on a singular word that ends in s, you still add s after the apostrophe. I've seen this apostrophe usage creeping into acceptable use. Stop the madness! :D

tell you what, i'll worry about my own apostrophe's and you can worry about your's :D

:D

For those of you feeling saucy, here's a grammar quiz. I have a hard time with a few of them.

10 for 10 baby but in the version I got I had to think twice on 2 of them, really breaking them down before answering. There's no doubt though that this stuff can be very tricky and frustrating.

Edited by irish