[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cloverfield

Cunning Runt

Saw it this past weekend and if you like JJ's previous stuff, you will love the movie. It's very mysterious and very intese. It's a fun movie to watch and just very entertaining overall. The handheld movie thing is a little annoying but once you get past that, the movie itself is just great. The way the story is told is just very cool.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The very last scene when the camera is pointing out at the ocean, in the distance you see the monster splashing down into the ocean. So, it's an alien monster. Kinda like a giant "Predator".

Here's what some are saying about that...

The splashdown scene you're referring to happened on the part at Coney Island he was recording over. Some are saying It isn't an alien...its a satelite falling into the ocean, causing Targuto (the company who owned the satellite) to look for it, leading to drilling for oil thus awakening the monster, which leads the monster to capsize the oil ship and attack Manhattan.

It's like what Hud said in the movie about finding what they thought was a long-extinct species a few years back. They stirred it up from the depths of the ocean.

I don't know if this is fact or not, of course.

Edited by TimC

Gonna see it tonight with a big tub of corn (extra butter of course) and an enormous Coke. I'm actually semi-fired up.

Next up on the "wanna see" list is "Eight Points of View" Saw the preview in the theater for that early summer '07 and thought it looked good. Expected to see it still in '07, but the release apparently got delayed.

i went and saw it tonight. i would have enjoyed it more had it not made me totally queasy. my 40-something cousin and her husband both were dizzy, too (my cousin had to leave the theater for a few minutes). overall i liked it, but my physical reaction to the handheld camera made me feel old. :wacko:

there's a faq on imdb that i found pretty interesting for anyone who has seen it.

• 4 weeks later...

I gotta say I have a wide ranging taste in movies and like new takes on old stuff...but this, in my opinion, is one of the dumbest, dullest, ill-concieved films in the history of popular cinema.

I think it is the worst movie that should or could have been good I have ever seen. Simply stupid and awful...

Edited by satelliteoflovegm

I gotta say I have a wide ranging taste in movies and like new takes on old stuff...but this, in my opinion, is one of the dumbest, dullest, ill-concieved films in the history of popular cinema.

I think it is the worst movie that should or could have been good I have ever seen. Simply stupid and awful...

So tell us... how do you really feel about it? :wacko:

So tell us... how do you really feel about it? :D

I'm serious, I really hated that movie. I would really have to question anyone who liked it. (Knowing of course I shouldn't, but I do)

The last chopper leaves at 0600 kid, good luck...thanks army dude...no problem kid, I have no power to stop you under marshall law in total chaos, so take care...still got the camera H.R. Puffenstuff? Let's roll.... :wacko: and scene.

oh my god did you see that? :D No shzithead you're shaking the gd camera, that you shouldn't have, too gd much.

I'm serious, I really hated that movie. I would really have to question anyone who liked it. (Knowing of course I shouldn't, but I do)

I get questioned alot. Usually before the men in white coats put on the uncomfortable jacket...usually.

The last chopper leaves at 0600 kid, good luck...thanks army dude...no problem kid, I have no power to stop you under marshall law in total chaos, so take care...still got the camera H.R. Puffenstuff? Let's roll.... :wacko: and scene.

oh my god did you see that? :D No shzithead you're shaking the gd camera, that you shouldn't have, too gd much.

:D

I couldnt agree more on the lameness of the movie. Too many holes, and too much like Blair Witch (in terms of camera and all). I was disappointed. It could have been really good, but it wasnt.

• 2 months later...
I saw it and thought it was okay. I really had to get past the fact that the guy is lugging the camera around while he is running for his life. I know that there's a big monster running around the city so suspension of disbelief is a requirement, but that was hard for me to buy. I'd be saying "f*ck this! I need to drop the extra weight and focus on surviving."

Watched it last night from Netflix...enjoyed the premise, but there were a couple of plot points that I couldn't get past (SPOILERS):

I'd agree on the camera. Hud makes a comment about filming this because it is important, which felt forced. My bigger issue was going to save Beth. I can see Rob going after her to some extent. But why in the hell would Hud and the other two chics? Especially after they get to the shelter after being attacked. I couldn't buy into that at all, which made the last 1/3 of the movie difficult for me.

C+

I couldn't buy into that at all, which made the last 1/3 of the movie difficult for me.

C+

I had trouble buying into that too. The concept of the giant creature destroying New York City with little creatures falling off of it and making people explode after biting them was so compelling and realistic to that point. I could not believe Abrams would be so arrogant to insult our intelligence by trying to make us believe that Hudd and the 2 skanks would help in the efforts to save Beth.. Uncomprehensible.

:wacko:

OKay, so I rented the DVD and just got finished watching it (for the second time, I was drinking heavily when I went to see it in the theatre so it might as well have been the first time).

I thought it was really intense. Not scary but intense. I give it a solid B.

Obviously I wondered why the hell wouold anyone go back into that mess. But whatever, without that the movie would have been 45 minutes. I did catch myself thinking "Wow, chica, you sure run fast considering you were impaled on a steel rod 15 minutes ago."

I saw it and thought it was okay. I really had to get past the fact that the guy is lugging the camera around while he is running for his life. I know that there's a big monster running around the city so suspension of disbelief is a requirement, but that was hard for me to buy. I'd be saying "f*ck this! I need to drop the extra weight and focus on surviving."

In addition how about the battery life on that camcorder?

I think I would have very much liked the story and the movie had it not been shot the way it was. I almost shut it off as it was making me crazy to watch it bounce around like that. My wife loved it and my kids liked it a lot but me :wacko:.

Agreed on several points mentioned:

No way you can go from being at the brink of death impaled on a pole to running around like nothing happened for hours ... she had a damn hole in her chest and no amount of adrenaline was going to carry her half an hour let alone several hours.

No way do Hud and the other two chics go back with Jason ... nope, especially the Marly chic as she didn't know any of the party people that well. I have my doubts on whether or not Jason would have gone back without knowing she was alive to be rescued, ESPECIALLY after being attacked in the tunnels.

After watching the smaller monsters go through the military I found it unbelievable that 4 unarmed people in the tunnel could fight them off.

To make it less crappy at some point HUD should have said F this, chucked the camera, and it should have turned into a normally shot movie. Showing us much more interestingly composed shots and action sequences. It could have even left the A holes and focused on the military fighting the good fight.