[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Rain Song

whomper

The Song Remains The Same was on VH1 last nite. I called my boys in and they sat down and watched the whole thing with me. I can't wait til they get a little older and start bringing Josh Gordon home so we can all get high together.

:D I've never smoked Josh Gordon with my dad, but I have watched Altimont, Woodstock, and probably a dozen other music movies with him.

Oh, and here's a

c'mon - I had the misfortune of catching Dazed and Confused on the radio the other day and I dont believe anyone not stoned can enjoy the three minutes where the same bass line plays and Page just noodles badly over the bass line

c'mon - I had the misfortune of catching Dazed and Confused on the radio the other day and I dont believe anyone not stoned can enjoy the three minutes where the same bass line plays and Page just noodles badly over the bass line

Oddly, I had that going in the car on the way to work today. It still stands, as does virtually all Zeppelin's work, as the highest level of virtuosity in rock'n'roll.

Just as good as Beethoven.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

I know Beethoven. I study Beethoven. I've performed Beethoven.

Led Zep, sir, is no Beethoven.

Sure they (collectively) are. They are just as important in the pantheon of the history of music as Beethoven. Furthermore, their music will stand the test of time just as Beethoven's has.

Led Zeppelin was just so diverse which impresses me the most. They can go from a heavy riff oriented rock n roll song to a great piece like The Rain Song or sweet acoustic like Going to California. Jimmy Page is such an amazing guitar player. His riffs are 2nd to none and his acoustic is beautiful. Bonham is one of the bext rock n roll drummers there ever was IMO. Plant had crazy range and a very distinct voice. John Paul Jones was locked in to Bonham and also had some memorable bass lines like in Ramble on . Just pound for pound an incredible band

Oddly, I had that going in the car on the way to work today. It still stands, as does virtually all Zeppelin's work, as the highest level of virtuosity in rock'n'roll.

Just as good as Beethoven.

They are no doubt right up there with Aerosmith

Havent been able to listen to them since I gave up Josh Gordon - maybe out on the tiles and the rover yet but other than that, yuck.

I know Beethoven. I study Beethoven. I've performed Beethoven.

Led Zep, sir, is no Beethoven.

some fishermen or tools on the loose

some fishermen or tools on the loose

Half fishing, half telling the truth. Comparing a classical composer to a rock band is an apples/oranges kinda thing. However, in 200 years music historians will most likely study Led Zep in a genre group. They'll be lumped in, and treated secondarily, to the Beatles and the Stones. 200 years later and Beethoven's status in relation to his time period is like no other musician in history. He towers over not only his era, but every composer for 75 years after his death.

Half fishing, half telling the truth. Comparing a classical composer to a rock band is an apples/oranges kinda thing. However, in 200 years music historians will most likely study Led Zep in a genre group. They'll be lumped in, and treated secondarily, to the Beatles and the Stones. 200 years later and Beethoven's status in relation to his time period is like no other musician in history. He towers over not only his era, but every composer for 75 years after his death.

im thinken there is a chance that the old fart is fishen also

That is both opinion and crystal ball gazing.

The term "classical composer" does not confer some kind of automatic superiority over "rock band". It is necessary to compose rock music too, albeit not necessarily by sitting at a desk and putting notes on staves. If you listen carefully to the music of the top rock bands, you will discern a complexity that belies there only being four or five people creating the music itself.

Music, like almost all art, is a matter of opinion and taste. However, for art to be considered great, IMO, there are three things required: talent (technical and creative), originality and emotion - the ability to transcend the day to day world and enable the observer to reach a higher plane (sounds hippyish but you know what I mean). Great music has all these whether it is "classical" or "rock", as does painting, literature and architecture, to name a few.