[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

black tuesday

dmarc117

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am riding energy stocks long term. I am still up YTD and, imho, oil will just go right back over $100/barrel. Really, its more likely to be $125/barrell a year from now than $75/barrel.

Now is a good time to take advantage of stocks like SLB, COP, etc.

If I could do it over, I'd spend more time studying philosophy than marketing or management ... and more physics than accounting or computer systems ... philosophy, physics and finance ...

BTW, didn't realize you were just in college ... not bad for a young'in.

Seriously, if at all possible do not waste your time taking marketing and management classes. (If for some reason you find that you need that material, you can pick up an MBA later on.)

If you are planning on going into the financial job sector, I would certainly make sure that you have a fair amount of accounting classes (as they are often important for entry-level jobs).

I also agree that physics and math are important if you are going to be a financial wizard who knows what he is doing (as opposed to a financial wizard who is just all about hocus-pocus).

At my university, you can either get a BA in economics or a BBA in economics. I think the BA is better because you aren't locked in to take marketing classes (or even worse, "group-hug" management classes) and can instead use your electives to take other classes.

I'm not exactly sure why muck is so high on taking philosophy classes (as it seems to me that the material in a philisophy class might be easier to learn via self-study than the material in, say, a math, finance, or economics course).

Seriously, if at all possible do not waste your time taking marketing and management classes. (If for some reason you find that you need that material, you can pick up an MBA later on.)

If you are planning on going into the financial job sector, I would certainly make sure that you have a fair amount of accounting classes (as they are often important for entry-level jobs).

I also agree that physics and math are important if you are going to be a financial wizard who knows what he is doing (as opposed to a financial wizard who is just all about hocus-pocus).

At my university, you can either get a BA in economics or a BBA in economics. I think the BA is better because you aren't locked in to take marketing classes (or even worse, "group-hug" management classes) and can instead use your electives to take other classes.

I'm not exactly sure why muck is so high on taking philosophy classes (as it seems to me that the material in a philisophy class might be easier to learn via self-study than the material in, say, a math, finance, or economics course).

Philosophy classes are worthless. Take it from a philosophy/poly sci double major. Get more accounting and business law (i.e., corporate formation, governance and law) type classes ...

How long do you plan on being in? 1 week is diff't than 10 years ...

Very long term - 30 years with the 401k stuff.

I wonder if your losses are so low because you've included the money you've paid in during that time. I haven't adjusted my total numbers of shares for quite a while so my Yahoo app is showing me down about 25% over the last six to eight weeks or so as it doesn't know about the share additions since.

The -4.9% is the market adjustment since 1/1. You really got dinged if you're down 25%. I believe the DOW is down 15% since it's all-time high in Oct. Most of the funds I have invested in are foriegn and haven't taken quite the beating domestics have seen the last few weeks. I need to get that money moved some place a little safer as foriegn economies are starting to feel the effects of the US slow down.

Learn how to diverisfy your portfolio based on your current financial situation and long term goals, and learn how to be patient. If you try living in the moment and reacting to it, you're screwed.

I have no crystal ball, but would say the small stocks have been hurt the most in this correction, so when the rebound happens, may have the earliest and biggest gains-but you'll have to hang in there for a while, so if you need the $$ in the next few years, that wouldn't be the way to go.

I don't think real estate funds will be coming back for a long time-they are probably still overvalued. This is just a guess as everyone else's.

Bonds are always a safe haven-no huge gains but no huge losses. I'd buy bonds directly, not buy bond funds, to avoid the fees. Be sure to buy stock funds with low admin. costs. Make sure you have a good cash reserve, and understand how much you need based on your living situation.

Thanks! I did bail on a RE fund I was invested heavily in about 6 months ago and it was the right move. I am limited in my "investments" right now to the fund offerings of my 401k plan. I am paying off existing debt before I jump into other investments - about 2 years away. We're also working on establishing a cash reserve.

Philosophy classes are worthless. Take it from a philosophy/poly sci double major. Get more accounting and business law (i.e., corporate formation, governance and law) type classes ...

:D I dunno; I'm of the opinion that critical thinking is a skill that many people don't possess, and that in essence is what every philosophy class teaches. I'd say you should take 3 or 4 just to get the skill down pat, but beyond that you probably don't need many more.

Want to bet $100?

I dont make money bets over the innernets. I have lots of investment money talking where my mouth is. Sig bet instead? Whichever its closer to ($75 or $125) on 1/23/09 wins. No excuses. Loser puts whatever the winner wants in his sig for 6 months.

I dont make money bets over the innernets. I have lots of investment money talking where my mouth is. Sig bet instead? Whichever its closer to ($75 or $125) on 1/23/09 wins. No excuses. Loser puts whatever the winner wants in his sig for 6 months.

We will use NYMEX Crude Future: http://www.bloomberg.com/energy/

You said 'more likely to be $125', you didn't say 'closer to 125'

How is this, 10-1 odds it is not 125 or higher on that day, my $100 vs. your $10.

Done. Same source, NYMEX Crude Future.

ETA: I dont even want your $100. I will send you $10 if I lose. If I win, you pay my GVE dues.

That's 2.5-1 since I hate to see you make such a tough bet ...

Edited by Beaumont

Very long term - 30 years with the 401k stuff.

The -4.9% is the market adjustment since 1/1. You really got dinged if you're down 25%. I believe the DOW is down 15% since it's all-time high in Oct. Most of the funds I have invested in are foriegn and haven't taken quite the beating domestics have seen the last few weeks. I need to get that money moved some place a little safer as foriegn economies are starting to feel the effects of the US slow down.

Thanks! I did bail on a RE fund I was invested heavily in about 6 months ago and it was the right move. I am limited in my "investments" right now to the fund offerings of my 401k plan. I am paying off existing debt before I jump into other investments - about 2 years away. We're also working on establishing a cash reserve.

Another good way to balance your portfolio, if worried about our economy, is to invest in other world economies through global-type index funds. We bought a Pacific Index fund when Japan's economy was in the sh**ter about 10 years ago, and when their eoconmy looked ripe for a turnaround-it has paid off nicely. Often when our economy is doing poorly, other countries are fairing well-so it keeps the portfolio diversified.

The Fed Funds rate = banks lending to banks. The mortgage rates are tied to the 10-year treasury. For the most part, if the stock markets go down, so follow the mortgage rates for investors are taking their $ out of the market and buying bonds. As the price of the bond goes up, the yield goes down.

Your posts seem like good advice Ramhock... but mortgage rates are not tied to the 10-year treasury! They are directly tied to Mortgage backed securities or mortgage bonds; the 10 year and mortgage securities can move in opposite directions... Today the FNMA 30 year 5.5 was off 56 basis points and the 10 year was off 175 basis points, a huge difference!

Your posts seem like good advice Ramhock... but mortgage rates are not tied to the 10-year treasury! They are directly tied to Mortgage backed securities or mortgage bonds; the 10 year and mortgage securities can move in opposite directions... Today the FNMA 30 year 5.5 was off 56 basis points and the 10 year was off 175 basis points, a huge difference!

Just a generalization that rings true a major majority of the time. I am sure you are correct as to directly tied to.

• 1 month later...
I am riding energy stocks long term. I am still up YTD and, imho, oil will just go right back over $100/barrel. Really, its more likely to be $125/barrell a year from now than $75/barrel.

Nymex Crude Future 108.11

H8tank is going to be paying my dues ...

:wacko:

• 1 month later...

When I typed this SLB was at about $78. Now its at $106. How about that for a stale market ...

• 4 weeks later...
You said 'more likely to be $125', you didn't say 'closer to 125'

How is this, 10-1 odds it is not 125 or higher on that day, my $100 vs. your $10.

Nymex Crude Future 128.99 1.94 1.53 11:23

My Vanguard Energy Fund is up 18% for the year! :wacko:

You should check out PSPFX, SSGRX, or PGNAX...all of which do better than the Vanguard fund....even when adjusted for a load. All I am saying is check them out and don't get too caught up on fees. Better yet, do what I do and find out what the top ten holdings are and just buy some stock in those companies....you will make even more....however...you will take a boat load more risk.

Edited by TheShiznit

You should check out PSPFX, SSGRX, or PGNAX...all of which do better than the Vanguard fund....even when adjusted for a load. All I am saying is check them out and don't get too caught up on fees. Better yet, do what I do and find out what the top ten holdings are and just buy some stock in those companies....you will make even more....however...you will take a boat load more risk.

USO is another valid option if you are still bullish on oil

ETA: I do like the idea of buying the top 10 holdings. I have never actually done that but have contemplated it. Shiznit, have you done this frequently and how has it worked out for you? I have considered doing it for VGPMX (which is closed) but it's virtually impossible as some of their holdings are 3k for a single share.

Edited by Piles