[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest guitar players of all time

DMD

I can understand not loving U2, but who in the heck HATES them? Does this guy hate the Beatles and Zeppelin as well?

Don't know, haven't seen the guy in 20 years. However, I have to say I'd rather see Bono go to Africa and try to get people fed than make more middle-of-the-road albums.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wacko: I don't like using the "h-word", but I can honestly say that I reeeeeally do NOT like U2's albums from Achtung Baby on. That said, I absolutely love War (one of the best albums ever), The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree. No other band has gone from such "wow" to such crap, IMO.

I agree with this, except I would say they were past their best earlier than Achtung Baby. I have Boy, October, War, Unforgettable Fire, Under a Blood Red Sky and Joshua Tree. The first three are better than the others.

:wacko: I don't like using the "h-word", but I can honestly say that I reeeeeally do NOT like U2's albums from Achtung Baby on. That said, I absolutely love War (one of the best albums ever), The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree. No other band has gone from such "wow" to such crap, IMO.

Don't know, haven't seen the guy in 20 years. However, I have to say I'd rather see Bono go to Africa and try to get people fed than make more middle-of-the-road albums.

IMO, Atomic Bomb is in their Top 3. Maybe I'm in the minority here. :D

Love Joshua Tree, War, and even like Achtung Baby and Rattle and Hum a little more than some. But I've never been much of a fan of the first two or The Unforgettable Fire. Lots of good songs on those three, but not terribly strong albums IMO.

Yea, I don't put them in the same ballpark as Beatles or Led Zep. More like REM. One of those bands I can respect enough, just never really cared for that much.

+1 never got into U2 or REM - I do like that 'Sweetest Thing' song by U2 though. Can't think of any REM song I like though.

Yea, I don't put them in the same ballpark as Beatles or Led Zep. More like REM. One of those bands I can respect enough, just never really cared for that much.

i think REM is way more original and interesting than u2. to me u2 is more on the level of, i dunno, like midnight oil or something. a good enough band, but not really "important" on any level, except (in u2's case) record sales.

+1 never got into U2 or REM - I do like that 'Sweetest Thing' song by U2 though. Can't think of any REM song I like though.

Funny you all should mention REM, because they're in the exact same category for me.

I absolutely love Murmur, and "The One I Love", from Document is one of my all-time favorite songs. It started with their Green album: absolutely love "Orange Crush" but think "Stand" is one of the more annoying songs ever. From there, it just gets crappier with songs like "Losing My Religion". Just MHO... thought they went downhill and got rather annoying with those two songs. Very similar to U2. Scary.

Funny you all should mention REM, because they're in the exact same category for me.

I absolutely love Murmur, and "The One I Love", from Document is one of my all-time favorite songs. It started with their Green album: absolutely love "Orange Crush" but think "Stand" is one of the more annoying songs ever. From there, it just gets crappier with songs like "Losing My Religion". Just MHO... thought they went downhill and got rather annoying with those two songs. Very similar to U2. Scary.

"out of time" is a godawful album, and green is only about 50% better. but other than that they didn't really have a bad album until their last couple. but even though i am partial to REM, i have to admit the analogy is fairly valid.

+1

Just MHO... thought they went downhill and got rather annoying with those two songs. Very similar to U2. Scary.

IIRC, U2 released Boy in '77 and R.E.M. put out Chronic Town in '82. Most really good bands seem to only have about 5 good albums in them and then begin to either run out of ideas or feel the need to make some sort of change of artistic direction that usually results in crappier albums.

but other than that they didn't really have a bad album until their last couple. but even though i am partial to REM, i have to admit the analogy is fairly valid.

+ 1 as well

R.E.M. was a better "album band" than U2, IMO. They were a lot more consistent than U2 in the '80s.

uhh, yeah. it would be kind of a silly thing to lie about, dontcha think? :D

Didn't someone once dig out some Az reviews of other books on Amazon? I forget who was doing those Google searches on huddle names... :wacko:

Dontchya think you should know :D

Don't listen to Brent... He thinks he can see better with his eyes closed. Personally, I find pleasure in his humility.

Odd that nobody has mentioned the one player that Clapton is on record as saying is the best...Buddy Guy. He can flat out play.

I saw Buddy Guy at the Stone Pony in NJ once . He was awesome. Not only can he play but has a great voice

I have a couple of Buddy Guy's CDs. Very underrated. You should check out the footage of him playing on Festival Express sometime.

We also shouldnt forget to go real old school and give props to Muddy Waters

It's all about the 3 Kings.

B.B.

Albert

Freddie

John Lee Hooker wasn't the most proficient guitarist of all time, but he had a GREAT sound. Jack White has spent a career trying to imitate Hooker's sound.

It's all about the 3 Kings.

B.B.

Albert

Freddie

John Lee Hooker wasn't the most proficient guitarist of all time, but he had a GREAT sound. Jack White has spent a career trying to imitate Hooker's sound.

I havent heard this song in a while but there is the one of the greatest songs I have ever heard that I heard from John Lee Hooker. I Cover the Waterfront is a phenominal tune