[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest guitar players of all time

DMD

I grew up in Chicago, going to the clubs whenever I could, and have seen a fair share of players...Muddy; Alvin Lee; Johnny Winter; Clapton; Eddie Clearwater; Son Seals; Lonnie Brooks (and his very talented son, Lonnie Baker Brooks); Dion Payton (no one has heard of him, but he can really play); Joanna Conner; etc.

But, a couple of weeks ago, I had the chance to see Buddy Guy play at his club, Legends. Wow. If you like blues, it was comparable to seeing Hendrix in a club setting, for all of you rock fans. He is a great showman, in addition to being a great player. He does this shtick where he imitates Clapton and Stevie Ray. He mocks Stevie Ray by playing all of his licks behind his back. (Licks that Stevie Ray lifted from Albert King and sold to the white audience, by the way). I've seen Buddy Guy probably 20 times...starting when he and Junior Wells were the house band at Theresa's, but this was entirely different. He's just getting good...like fine wine (which I hate, but makes for a good metaphor).

He gets my vote, again.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone mentioned Trey Anastasio? While I don't listen to Phish like I did as a Yute, Trey definitely tore it up in Phish's early days (1988-1998) - kinda got a little monotonous after that.

I thought he was a fantastic guitarist and a great composer and showman in the early 90s.

But he's a shambled mess who can't even play his own songs any more. Drugs are bad, kids. The present kind of clouded the past for me.

I'm trying to think of a good example of his guitar prowess that wasn't mindless noodling. Mockingbird and Divided Sky are pretty technical. I've always loved that "chase" section of Reba where the guitar and piano double each other on the technical line, and then they do it again with Trey a beat behind the piano. Really interesting.

I dunno; I don't think that "tasteful restraint" was necessarily a watchword, but Lynch is good; Yngwie Malmsteen is generally considered to be of that era (mistakenly IMO) and he is at the very least incredibly dextrous. .

I havent heard Yngwie in a while. After reading your post I figured I would give him a listen. If you are into shredders this guy ranks high

I thought he was a fantastic guitarist and a great composer and showman in the early 90s.

But he's a shambled mess who can't even play his own songs any more. Drugs are bad, kids. The present kind of clouded the past for me.

I'm trying to think of a good example of his guitar prowess that wasn't mindless noodling. Mockingbird and Divided Sky are pretty technical. I've always loved that "chase" section of Reba where the guitar and piano double each other on the technical line, and then they do it again with Trey a beat behind the piano. Really interesting.

Definitely agree with you on all counts - the 'heroin' jams just don't do it for me.

I always enjoyed his 'major-key' solos like in Ya Mar - those cartoonish sounding melodies at hyper speed are always tasty. Always loved a good Reba jam and the structured parts that you mentioned as well, Reba is definitely one of my favorites. Their 1st ablubm, Junta has great composition and guitar shredding/technicality - You Enjoy Myself, Fluffhead, Esther etc.... Junta, has been and always be, my favorite Phis album, probably followed by Lawn Boy (2nd album).

All of the above mentioned, plus Ry Cooder, Mark Knopfler, and Frank Zappa.

Best Guitarist EVER = Ralph Macchio in Crossroads :wacko:

Game Over People!

Im pretty sure Ry did Macchios parts

Well now that this thread is seven pages long, I guess we can start naming some more obscure guitarists. Peter Case, formerly of the Plimsouls (remember back to the song "Million Miles Away" from the '80's), is a terrific guitarist. My wife is a self-proclaimed "groupie" (although his music doesn't lend itself to groupies :wacko: ) and has met him on several occasions. I met him as well... great guy and a fantastic musician.

Well now that this thread is seven pages long, I guess we can start naming some more obscure guitarists.

Trey Spruance of Mr. Bungle

Dr. Know of Bad Brains

Jazz player Les Paul

Rocky George of Suicidal Tendencies

Jazz player Al DiMeola

Eddie Hazel of P-Funk

Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave

Jazz player Stanley Jordan

Larry Lalonde of Primus

Page Hamilton of Helmet

Jazz player Joe Pass

Classical player Andres Segovia

I'm too lazy to go back and check if Brian May of Queen or John Frusciante of the RHCP have been mentioned yet. Also David Gilmour. None are obscure, and should have been mentioned earlier.

she is pretty obscure :

into the sunshine

:wacko:

youtube really is amazing. Go on it and you can find some 19 year old girl in Rochester who has more talent than 95% of the flash-in-the-pan girl singer/songwriters who "made it big". And she plays ukulele, which boosts her cred by 1000%.

Thanks for sharing Isle.