[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest guitar players of all time

DMD

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent heard this song in a while but there is the one of the greatest songs I have ever heard that I heard from John Lee Hooker. I Cover the Waterfront is a phenominal tune

I just broke out my John Lee Hooker box set and put on the song to remember it. The Shiekette walks by and says "Wow. . .bluesy song. . . should be perfect mood music for this". And she slapped the property tax bill on my desk. "Pay it".

"Thank you dear. . . "

Now THAT'S the blues.

I just broke out my John Lee Hooker box set and put on the song to remember it. The Shiekette walks by and says "Wow. . .bluesy song. . . should be perfect mood music for this". And she slapped the property tax bill on my desk. "Pay it".

"Thank you dear. . . "

Now THAT'S the blues.

Women suck.

"Thank you dear. . . "

Now THAT'S the blues.

As I was reading this I thought you were going to say it put her in the mood for some Happy time mouthy fun © Atomic..Then I read further :wacko:

john lee hooker, hell yeah, that is MUSIC. think of him more as an overall "bluesman" than someone who stood out AS a guitarist, but he could definitely handle the intrsument.

if you like him, check out ali farka toure as well.

forgot about John lee hooker

he was magic

I have a couple of Buddy Guy's CDs. Very underrated. You should check out the footage of him playing on Festival Express sometime.

Saw him opening for the Rolling Stones last time they were here. Very good, even my wife liked him. Jagger said having Guy opening was an honor.

dont believe this link was posted in this thread but here is what Rolling Stone says :

Top 100

When the hell was the last time that Rolling Stone had anything relevant to say?

My son has been playing guitar for a couple of years now and when we chat, I realize how very little I know about guitar players. My understanding is that Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton were/are considered premier guitar players but I don't know much else. My son is turning 15 soon and already convinced that he has somehow gained all the knowledge of the world over the last year so my looking uninformed about good guitar players is just further proof for him.

I am mostly considering electric guitars here but who do you think ranks as the best guitarist of all time?

Doubt there's much new I'm adding but offhand I'd go Pat Metheny, SRV, BB King, Wes Montgomery, George Benson, D Allman, Steve Howe, Clapton, Hendrix on the short list.

It's all about the 3 Kings.

B.B.

Albert

Freddie

John Lee Hooker wasn't the most proficient guitarist of all time, but he had a GREAT sound. Jack White has spent a career trying to imitate Hooker's sound.

More like:

BB

Albert

Freddie

Re. Hooker, well said. IMO he's a classic example of how damn near every blues artist of any fame is considered a "legend" etc blah. He's quite overrated as a guitarist IMO.

Odd that nobody has mentioned the one player that Clapton is on record as saying is the best...Buddy Guy. He can flat out play.

And Jimi Hendrix thought that Billy Gibbons was the best out there.

"Thank you dear. . . "

Now THAT'S the blues.

Taxes are only the blues when you don't have the coin to pay them. :wacko:

I'm not sure who the best guitar player ever is, Hendrix is pretty awesome. Tony Iommi probably deserves a mention. He was inspired by Django with the missing fingers thing.

I'm not really into classical music but I know a few guys who can play some amazing acoustic stuff.

The hair band era didnt generate a great deal of awesome players but George Lynch from Dokken is a great guitar player

I dunno; I don't think that "tasteful restraint" was necessarily a watchword, but Lynch is good; Yngwie Malmsteen is generally considered to be of that era (mistakenly IMO) and he is at the very least incredibly dextrous. Paul Gilbert from Racer X/Mister Big had some chops. Dio ran through a coupla good ones - Vivian Campbell followed by Craig Goldie. Vinnie Vincent was a HUGE factor on Kiss' Creatures of the Night and Lick it Up LPs, and the first Vinnie Vincent Invasion record is a testament to glorious excess (YouTube the video for "Boyz R Gonna Rock"). Even 2nd stringers like White Lion's Vito Bratta and TNT's Ronnie Le Tekro were held some regard.

The guys who were in the metal underground at that time like Marty Friedman, Dave Mustaine, Jason Becker, Vinnie Moore, Testament's Alex Skolnick, Denis D'Amour (Piggy) from VoiVod, etc had reps as guys who could play.

Now, I'm not putting them in the same league as Reinhardt, Hendrix, or the greats - but one thing that you need to remember about metal is that the three guys who influence about EVERY guy who picks up a guitar are Iommi, Van Halen, and Page (and probably Hendrix, as well). Even the less-ambitious 80s glam metal still placed a premium on skilled guitar playing. Not so much in other rock-derived genres like punk, grunge, etc.

I saw Buddy Guy at the Stone Pony in NJ once . He was awesome. Not only can he play but has a great voice

I was assistant manager of a club when I first moved to Jax. Saw some awesome blues musicians, including Buddy Guy who was playing alongside Junior Wells. I remember bringing them a drink between sets and they answered the door with severe cases of the sniffs. I also got to see John Lee Hooker, Delbert McClinton, Taj Mahal, Matt Guitar Murphy(from the Blues Bros.-he could jam), John Mayall(he was a dick), Koko Taylor(the queen of the blues), Clarence Gatemouth Brown, etc. Fun times.