[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

staying power

tonorator

From the 80s, but not currently mentioned:

- Elvis Costello

- Charlie Daniels Band (he still tours, last I checked)

- Elton John (not my cup of tea, but he's still popular with some)

- Lenny Kravitz (not nearly as cool as he once was, but he's still making music)

- Madonna (see Elton John)

- Tom Petty (see Lenny Kravitz)

- Prince (hey, the guy is crazy-talented)

- U2 (probably the strongest current band from the 80s, besides maybe the Stones and Van Halen)

- Weird Al (he'll be doing his thing until he dies)

-

all good, but i'm not looking for bands of the 80s.

give me the list of bands that have formed/debuted since 2000 that you think have the staying power to potentially be making music 20 years from now. that's what i'm after ...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all good, but i'm not looking for bands of the 80s.

give me the list of bands that have formed/debuted since 2000 that you think have the staying power to potentially be making music 20 years from now. that's what i'm after ...

- Band of Horses

- The Strokes

- Jack Johnson (not really a band, but I bet he's got staying power)

- The Killers

- The Shins

- Norah Jones

- Jack Johnson (not really a band, but I bet he's got staying power)

Here's where I always chime in and say I kinda-sorta know this guy from college. One of those guys you'd do that "head nod" thing to on campus 'cuz you saw each other at various parties the weekend before. He was in a band that played parties and you could tell he'd probably be rather special at some point. His stuff has sounded a bit mundane (and the same) for a few albums, but his new album has some new grooviness/rock to it.

- Band of Horses

:wacko:

surfing itunes on this. sounds a bit like coldplay meets jane's addiction ... you may have something here. more data please.

eta: uh oh, they have a song named after detlef. this might not be such a good thing.

etaa: is there a ghost ... sounds like a great tune.

etaolt: yo, this is great stuff. buying 'cease to begin' now. :D

Edited by tonorator

surfing itunes on this. sounds a bit like coldplay meets jane's addiction ... you may have something here. more data please.

eta: uh oh, they have a song named after detlef. this might not be such a good thing.

etaa: is there a ghost ... sounds like a great tune.

etaolt: yo, this is great stuff. buying 'cease to begin' now. :D

There isn't a bad song on their debut album, which lends itself well to repeated listenings. I highly recommend it. And if you like Band of Horses, you'll probably like The Annuals, too.

Edited by yo mama

There isn't a bad song on their self-titled debut album, which lends itself well to repeated listenings. I highly recommend it. And if you like Band of Horses, you'll probably like The Annuals, too.

was their debut self-titled, or was it called 'everything all the time'? i'll check out the annuals.

was their debut self-titled, or was it called 'everything all the time'? i'll check out the annuals.

Duh. Yes, it was 'Everything All The Time.'

And if you think you'd like that general sound in a slightly alt country flavor, check out My Morning Jacket. They've been around since 1998, but are critically acclaimed darlings of the alt music scene.

Edited by yo mama

There isn't a bad song on their self-titled debut album, which lends itself well to repeated listenings. I highly recommend it. And if you like Band of Horses, you'll probably like The Annuals, too.

Isn't the debut album called Everything All The Time?

the thread about the bands in the 80's got me thinking about those rock bands that have stood the test of time, putting out good music for several decades. you have the beatles, stones, who, zep megabands that date back to the 60s and 70s up to bands like U2, rem, green day, etc. who started in the 80s and continue up to today. what bands do you see out there today that have started up in the last 5 or even 10 years that you would expect would still be rocking strong 10 to 20 years from now? have we become a world of one or two hit wonders?

I'd nominate Drive-By Truckers or QOTSA (who rotate band members like underwear) off the top of my head. Supersuckers never get fair shake.

The premise of your question is kind of mucked up, because there are a lot of good bands from yesteryear that a lot of us never here about.

ETA: another reason why this premise is mucked is because many great singer/songwrtiers don't have to stay with one band. I dig Mark Lanegan a ton. He does quite a bit of stuff that I don't care for, but he is always "experimenting" with new stuff and new collaborators.

Mike Patton is another guy whose artistic compass would never allow him to stay with one band. And that FTNM song he wrote from the early 90's is actually considered a one-hit wonder. Possibly the best band ever to have a one-hit.

Edited by bushwacked

I am not sure how long ago they came out but people really seem to feel Tool is the real deal. I havent heard a great deal of their stuff but everything I have heard has been pretty damn good

The greatest rock experience I've ever had was probably seeing Tool pre-Opiate release. 15-20 people in a bar at Spokane WA circa 1990 (est?).

A few months earlier evilgop hooked my up with the most bad ass demo tape I've ever heard. He got it from his trendy cousin in the know and Waver Paul from our high school was playing with this awesome band from LA.

Tool has set a standard for heavy rock lately but I just don't get into it. Evil's cousin recently hooked us up with front row seats at a HUGH amphitheater(The Gorge) to see Tool about a year ago. I enjoyed myself,but it didn't compare to the special time and place earlier. Tool is great in a Pink Floyd type sense. I prefer the raw distorted 3-minute songs on the demo tape.

But alas...they have staying power.

The premise of your question is kind of mucked up, because there are a lot of good bands from yesteryear that a lot of us never here about.

sure there are good bands from yesteryear, no argument.

i'm just curious about new bands that people are listening to that they believe will still be making music in 20 years. i know with a band like radiohead, after a couple of albums i couldn't wait to hear what was coming next and i believed they would be around a long time. just wondering if there are any bands like that now that people are genuinely excited about. is that a mucked up premise? :D

Its pretty sad but your point is pretty tough to dispute if we are only talking Rock bands and going back 5 years. I have said it on here before I am a music fossil..I would just as soon pop in Led Zep, SRV or AC/DC then buy new stuff..Its a bland attitude but I still enjoy my big rotation of old classic rock bands. And I love The Crowes

Its pretty sad but your point is pretty tough to dispute if we are only talking Rock bands and going back 5 years. I have said it on here before I am a music fossil..I would just as soon pop in Led Zep, SRV or AC/DC then buy new stuff..Its a bland attitude but I still enjoy my big rotation of old classic rock bands. And I love The Crowes

i'm trying to figure out if the bands are out there and i'm just out of touch (getting old) or if there has been a shift and the notion of 4 or 5 musicians forming a band and just putting out great music for years and years is a thing of the past. it's a bit harder today i think because there are so many avenues to get your music out there that it's harder for a band to break big. when you only have a few radio stations and the one record store in town, only a few of the bands get most of the attention so they are strengthened by that. it's kind of like the evening news. it used to be king because that's the way you found out what was going on ... now with all the other outlets, the evening news is old news and just fades away.

i loved the 70s and 80s when there were just so many bands making rock music ... the eagles, journey, foreigner, rush, yes, stones, zep, van halen, doobies, grateful dead, pink floyd, heart, black sabbath, boston, bad company, ac/dc, jethro tull, aerosmith, .38 special, foghat, styx, genesis, steely dan, zz top, and on and on. i'm not saying all of it was great music, but each band was able to push their craft, go in different directions, and put together quite a bit of material. when i was a kid there was all this to choose from and then look forward to each new release. as i sit today, other than all these old farts, i can't see where the torch is being passed ...

i'm trying to figure out if the bands are out there and i'm just out of touch (getting old) or if there has been a shift and the notion of 4 or 5 musicians forming a band and just putting out great music for years and years is a thing of the past. it's a bit harder today i think because there are so many avenues to get your music out there that it's harder for a band to break big. when you only have a few radio stations and the one record store in town, only a few of the bands get most of the attention so they are strengthened by that. it's kind of like the evening news. it used to be king because that's the way you found out what was going on ... now with all the other outlets, the evening news is old news and just fades away.

i loved the 70s and 80s when there were just so many bands making rock music ... the eagles, journey, foreigner, rush, yes, stones, zep, van halen, doobies, grateful dead, pink floyd, heart, black sabbath, boston, bad company, ac/dc, jethro tull, aerosmith, .38 special, foghat, styx, genesis, steely dan, zz top, and on and on. i'm not saying all of it was great music, but each band was able to push their craft, go in different directions, and put together quite a bit of material. when i was a kid there was all this to choose from and then look forward to each new release. as i sit today, other than all these old farts, i can't see where the torch is being passed ...

Im not sure if you will se an influx like that again.