[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is it cool to be Stoopid?

billay

I don't know if it's "cool" but I get the impression that Americans place less value on education (or perhaps more accurately the educated) than most other industrialized nations. It seems like a college education is seen as a stepping stone to a job, with little intrinsic value.

As wiegie alluded to, it seems like a substantial segment of our propulation actually scorns the educated as "elitist." And educators receive far more scorn than respect.

I think that the poor performance of US schools/students reflects this.

is their a link or a website that compares Education , Performance of US students vs Perfromance of Students in other countries ?

is their a fair measuring stick to compare as i would be interested to see

while america clearly has many students who fail and could care less about school as well as number of teachers and professors who are sub standard i would still believe we produce more intelligence and more intelligent students than any other country in the world

I don't know if it's "cool" but I get the impression that Americans place less value on education (or perhaps more accurately the educated) than most other industrialized nations. It seems like a college education is seen as a stepping stone to a job, with little intrinsic value.

As wiegie alluded to, it seems like a substantial segment of our propulation actually scorns the educated as "elitist." And educators receive far more scorn than respect.

I think that the poor performance of US schools/students reflects this.

There is probably a bit of politics mixed in there as well. Since the teacher's union is always for the dems, educators are a popular target for the conservative talk shows. Wasting tax dollars, polluting the minds of our youth, blah blah blah.

Also to your point... I recall a conversation I overheard in a restaurant a few months back. Two sets of parents with children at the same public school started talking about pulling their kids out of school for vacation. They were talking about how "difficult" it was to pull their kids out for a week when school was in session (not during a normal school break). All the "paperwork" and "administrators on power trips" and "teachers piling on homework" made me cringe. They were actually upset the teachers expected their kids to do the normal homework that all the other kids were doing that week. They were upset that the school disagreed with them pulling their kids out. It was so absurd to me.

is their a link or a website that compares Education , Performance of US students vs Perfromance of Students in other countries ?

is their a fair measuring stick to compare as i would be interested to see

while america clearly has many students who fail and could care less about school as well as number of teachers and professors who are sub standard i would still believe we produce more intelligence and more intelligent students than any other country in the world

We can whip any other country's azz if we want to do so. How's that for a measuring stick.