[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Complete Kitchen Remodel

devilwoman

We went for granite over synthetic. There's nothing wrong with either Corian or Silestone, it's just that the wife and I prefer natural materials.

:moon:Countertops thread

And ask Bring Back Pat as he specializes in kitchen remodeling.

Thanks for the link Big John!!

Thanks also for all who have responded so far. I too am leaning towards granite...it's just :wacko: the price and all...geez this remodel is gonna be EXPENSIVE... :D I do worry about scratching and staining...even though I've read it is hard to scratch and it doesn't stain. I've heard accounts where it did stain...now whether the person sealed it or not I don't know but gads if I'm gonna spend the farm on granite I will be very :D if it stains!!!

Thanks for the link Big John!!

Thanks also for all who have responded so far. I too am leaning towards granite...it's just :wacko: the price and all...geez this remodel is gonna be EXPENSIVE... :D I do worry about scratching and staining...even though I've read it is hard to scratch and it doesn't stain. I've heard accounts where it did stain...now whether the person sealed it or not I don't know but gads if I'm gonna spend the farm on granite I will be very :moon: if it stains!!!

As with anything lighter colors have a higher propensity to stain but if you follow the advice in that other thread you'll be fine. One nice thing about our granite though is that it is a very large grain. It's hard to see anything on it, even to clean up! Seriously though, if you do go with granite, make sure to go and pick out the piece your counters will be cut from yourself. There is enough natural variation in stone that a slab 6 feet long can have different grain size and color on either end. Or as is more likely, a largish section that is of a completely different color that looks like a permanent stain.

Do not even get me started on how expensive a remodel is. :D

I like granite personally. Corian is almost as expensive, and depending on the type of granite, and the color of Corian, granite can actually be cheaper. The main reason I like granite, is you can put hot pots and pans on it without worrying about burning it. Corian burns, granite doesn't. On the flip side, while both can be scratched, if Corian is scratched, you can sand out the scratch.

My daughter works for a kitchen and bath place, and I've asked her about countertops on more than one occasion. Countertop selection is tough because there are so many choices out there and many people end up picking what LOOKS best to them. Here's a good list from the internet:

Below is a list of the top ten options on the market for kitchen counter tops. In order to choose the countertop that is right for you and your lifestyle, it is good to know a little bit about all of your options. The more information you know, the better off you will be in making the right choice.

1) Granite Counters

Granite has become the top choice for countertops because it is both durable and beautiful. However, the quality of granite does come with a high price, colors are limited, and it also requires regular maintenance. Granite is appreciated because it holds up to heat and looks permanent and substantial. It cost anywhere from $50 to $200 per square foot.

2) Engineered Stone

Engineered stone (composed of quartz particles) is another favorite for countertops. It is easy to care for and stain and acid resistant. It comes in a larger range of colors and has a nonporous surface that resists scratches. However, similar to granite, engineered stone is quite pricey. It cost anywhere from $40 to $125 per square foot.

3) Solid Surface

Solid surface counters are enjoyed by many because they are solid all the way through making it possible to sand out any scratches. Solid surface counters come in an array of colors and patterns, are seamless, and stain resistant. Unfortunately, they can be expensive and the surface can be damaged by hot pans and stains. It cost anywhere from $40 to $100 per square foot.

4) Ceramic Tile

Ceramic tile is available is many styles, patterns and colors. It is durable and easy to clean. It cost anywhere from $20-$100 per square foot installed. Unfortunately, ceramic tile creates an uneven surface and tiles can easily chip or crack. Also, the grout lines become stained over time by acids and oils.

5) Laminates

Laminate counters come in a wide range of colors and patterns and are easily maintained. They cost anywhere from $10 to $20 per square foot. Laminates are enjoyed because they are durable, inexpensive, and offer a pleasant look and feel. However, laminates also scratch and chip in time and repairs are hard to make.

6) Wood or Butcher Block

Wood countertops will always be appreciated for bringing warmth into a room. Wood is available in a wide range of colors and finishes; it’s easy to clean and it can be sanded and resealed as needed. It cost anywhere from $50 to $200 per square foot. Unfortunately, standing water can damage wood and cause dark areas to form on the surface. Also, wood stains over time, absorbs food odors, and scratches must be oiled or sealed.

7) Stainless Steel Counters

Stainless steel creates a more modern look for your kitchen. It is considered a contemporary choice for your kitchen counters. Stainless steel is impervious to acids and oils, heat resistant and durable. It is also very easy to clean. Unfortunately, it can scratch easily, its noisy; and can often appear institutional. It cost anywhere from $75 to $150 pre square foot.

8) Soapstone Counters

Soapstone offers a smooth feel and is usually dark gray in color. It is much softer than granite. It can be used in both traditional homes modern homes as both a countertop and sink material. Soapstone is rich with deep color and is stain resistant for the most part. It does require regular maintenance and it may scratch and chip, especially on the edges. It cost anywhere from $50 to $200 per square foot.

9) Marble

Marble is a warm and soft stone with a high price tag. It is usually used on select areas of counter top and not as a whole. Marble is waterproof, heatproof, and very luxurious looking. It does require constant maintenance and should be sealed to prevent staining.

10) Concrete Counters

Concrete counters work great for those of you that have unusual shapes in your counters because it is mixed with pigments and poured into molds right in your kitchen. Concrete is extremely strong, heat and scratch resistant and porous. In order to prevent staining, proper sealing and waxing is needed. Concrete can be color-tinted with creative colors and inlays. Unfortunately, is does crack and sometimes looks industrial; porous. It cost anywhere from $75 to $200 per square foot.

DuPont Quartz in Space Black. We ended up compromising on the countertops and really sinking the money into the cabinets instead. We ended up with Kraftmaid Maple cabinets with all the built-ins and slide drawers that even soft close. :wacko:

So far so good. We use Countertop Magic on it like it's going out of style to keep the shine though.

We ended up with Kraftmaid Maple cabinets with all the built-ins and slide drawers that even soft close. :wacko:

Whoa! The mrs and I were looking at those a couple months ago. Crazy how much that soft-close feature added to the price.

Whoa! The mrs and I were looking at those a couple months ago. Crazy how much that soft-close feature added to the price.

Tell me about it. We figured the cabinets would stay for life, but we could always change out the countertops if need be. We even put the same Kraftmaid cabinets and countertops in the master bathroom, but not with all the bells and whistles and soft close junk.

DuPont Quartz in Space Black. We ended up compromising on the countertops and really sinking the money into the cabinets instead. We ended up with Kraftmaid Maple cabinets with all the built-ins and slide drawers that even soft close. :wacko:

So far so good. We use Countertop Magic on it like it's going out of style to keep the shine though.

:D Hey I am going with the same cabinets in Maple...Englewood style with the nutmeg glaze. I love those cabinets...good quality cabinets for sure!!! Slap a granite countertop on those puppies and Oh we're talking a pretty penny. :D

Edited by devilwoman

Tell me about it. We figured the cabinets would stay for life, but we could always change out the countertops if need be. We even put the same Kraftmaid cabinets and countertops in the master bathroom, but not with all the bells and whistles and soft close junk.

:wacko: very nice indeed!!

Stupid question time. Wouldn't you be better off going to a local custom millwork contractor? We've always done that. The quality and fit is better than any premanufactured unit. The last time I did this the price wasn't bad, but they may have been giving me a break since they do so much commercial work for me.

:D Hey I am going with the same cabinets in Maple...Englewood style with the nutmeg glaze. I love those cabinets...good quality cabinets for sure!!! Slap a granite countertop on those puppies and Oh we're talking a pretty penny. :wacko:

From what I've seen the Kraftmaid cabinets are in a pretty decent spot as far as quality and price go, IMO. But yeah that granite is expensive stuff. Funny, I don't really think its all that attractive, but everyone seems to eat it up..

Edited by The Irish Doggy

Stupid question time. Wouldn't you be better off going to a local custom millwork contractor? We've always done that. The quality and fit is better than any premanufactured unit. The last time I did this the price wasn't bad, but they may have been giving me a break since they do so much commercial work for me.

I don't know. I never did price custom cabinets. We have a company called Old River Oak Cabinetry up the street that we should've gone to and checked out, but we were pushed for a deadline by our builder.

I know as much about cabinetry as I do about ranking kickers. We liked the look of Kraftmaid and had heard of them. They are really nice and are solidly built. The craftsmanship is top notch.

Now don't get me started on the installer. I ended up firing him and throwing his sawhorses at his truck and telling him to take a swing at me in my driveway so I could beat him down right then and there. Andrew was his name and now I hate everyone named Andrew. :wacko:

I'm gonna make a confession about my thought process for these countertops. Some acquaintences of mine have a two year old house that is very nice...2 car garage, 3bdr, 2bath, big living room and a pretty good sized kitchen. When I first walked into their house the wow factor hit me...just a very nice big roomie new house. I took the tour and was wowed by everything...then I hit the kitchen and felt like I hit a wall sorta of...it was a beautiful kitchen...wonderful cabinets and flooring but the countertops were laminate...it was nice laminate, but I kept thinking it seemed to not fit the house...almost like a downgrade. Now I know that sounds shallow...I feel bad for thinking it...so I started to think. My house is over 30 years old. The kitchen has never had a makeover...and while I hate it (which is why the remodel) the laminate seems to fit the kitchen because it is so old. Some other friends have a house that is probably 10-15 years newer than mine and they have a pretty modern kitchen and they have laminate countertops and it seems to fit their kitchen as well...so I guess, since I am going all out on the cabinets and flooring and lighting I want the countertops to be in-sync with the newness of the remodel or in-sync with the times. Could other countertops products work probably...but since the cost factor of quality countertops are pretty similar ie durability, scratch resistanc, heat resistance...I figure go with granite. (I still haven't really made up my mind)

I have asked other people why they chose granite and told them my story and they agreed...they felt the same way...shallow... :wacko: no just kidding but we did agree we didn't want to be critical of other peoples choices, but think it is natural to compare things...like keeping up with the jones thing. and keeping current with todays styles and materials...does that make sense?

Hey, enough talk about how expensive kitchen remodels are. They put food on my table!! :wacko:

Seriously, DW, feel free to PM me. This is what I do on a daily basis. (Along with flooring, cabinets and a myriad of other things...) I'd be happy to offer any advice, or answer any questions. Usually I charge for these things, but for you (and a hot tub invite :D ) it's free! :D

I had white laminate on my old house I built in '94. This was one of those "pick what color crap you want" deals. That ugly countertop would've been the first thing I gutted if I had the money, and didn't sell the place. They were functional...but not very attractive.

I don't really notice those things when I walk into other people's houses though. Tina does though. :wacko:

Hey, enough talk about how expensive kitchen remodels are. They put food on my table!! :wacko:

Seriously, DW, feel free to PM me. This is what I do on a daily basis. (Along with flooring, cabinets and a myriad of other things...) I'd be happy to offer any advice, or answer any questions. Usually I charge for these things, but for you (and a hot tub invite :moon: ) it's free! :brew:

Thanks BBP...I appreciate that and if I have any questions I'll zip you an email...and of course the hot tub is open with a nice bottle or 3 of beer of your choice on the house!!!

I'll be taking progress pictures as this remodel begins...ordering cabinets in about two weeks so they can get here by May...I am sure there will be some brakeage on shippment and I'll need to reorder some so I best get cracking on ordering them. A friend of mine who does construction is coming up from Reno with a friend to help so the remodel doesn't take years :guns::D:D ...hopefully only a month. He is gonna start on the tile flooring first so I got some decisions and demolition to do. I do have a question or two on flooring that I will PM you about though...thanks again!!!

Thanks BBP...I appreciate that and if I have any questions I'll zip you an email...and of course the hot tub is open with a nice bottle or 3 of beer of your choice on the house!!!

I'll be taking progress pictures as this remodel begins...ordering cabinets in about two weeks so they can get here by May...I am sure there will be some brakeage on shippment and I'll need to reorder some so I best get cracking on ordering them. A friend of mine who does construction is coming up from Reno with a friend to help so the remodel doesn't take years :guns::D:moon: ...hopefully only a month. He is gonna start on the tile flooring first so I got some decisions and demolition to do. I do have a question or two on flooring that I will PM you about though...thanks again!!!

Sweet. Hot tub and beer, can't beat that :D

Sounds like you have realistic expectations. That's one of the biggest things I try to warn my clients about. With all these makeover programs on TV, people think they should have their kitchen redone in a week. And in the real world it just doesn't work like that. A month is usually the number I use, depending on the amount of demolition. But from when the cabinets come in to when your kitchen is finished, if you're planning on a month, you shouldn't be too disappointed.

On a side note. I used to sell KraftMaid. You shouldn't have too much trouble with breakage. They are fairly well packaged in cardboard boxes and generally if something happened, the box will be damaged and it should be re-ordered right away as to not lose time.

Now, as long as the designer did their job :wacko: and everything fits correctly and is ordered correctly, you shouldn't have any problems!

Sweet. Hot tub and beer, can't beat that :moon:

Sounds like you have realistic expectations. That's one of the biggest things I try to warn my clients about. With all these makeover programs on TV, people think they should have their kitchen redone in a week. And in the real world it just doesn't work like that. A month is usually the number I use, depending on the amount of demolition. But from when the cabinets come in to when your kitchen is finished, if you're planning on a month, you shouldn't be too disappointed.

On a side note. I used to sell KraftMaid. You shouldn't have too much trouble with breakage. They are fairly well packaged in cardboard boxes and generally if something happened, the box will be damaged and it should be re-ordered right away as to not lose time.

Now, as long as the designer did their job :D and everything fits correctly and is ordered correctly, you shouldn't have any problems!

well it sounds like a pretty good start then...Yehaw. Ah but I know there will be changes...there always is...and while a friend of mine and I designed the new look...I am sure we have overlooked or no doubt will order something incorrectly. We have gone over the cabinets sizes/demensions layout etc with a fine tooth comb so who the heck knows...one things for certain in a remodeling job...nothing is certain... :D:wacko: oh you think you ordered something then come to find out you didn't or ordered the wrong thing...happens to me all the time no matter how many times I check it...so we'll see what happens this time. Always an adventure...just like the deck was!!!

I do apt maint for about 10 complexes and 1 of the owners, who owns 4 of those complexes is doing kitchen upgrades as tennants move. We went out and solicited bids from numerous cabinet installers and countertop installers. The owner wanted granite since it would stand up to the abuse of uncaring tennants. We finally settled on 1 company Duracite, who does both the cabinets and countertops. We had our regular countertop guy bid to install corian and an alternative that looks just as good but is cheaper. His bids were all higher than the Granite. Only his laminate was less and not much less. When i asked him why the Granite was cheaper he said that the supply of Granite was so huge that cost wise you can buy a slab of it cheaper than he can get the others and that it's not that much harder to install. I then went to Home Depot and priced the granite and others and found this to be true.

I'm not sure if this is just in my area or what, but the Granite should not cost you any more than the other types of counter tops unless color comes into the equation. We are installing a basic black w/white specs that looks very rich. If you want i can try and find out more info from my installer. I believe he said there were 6-8 colors to choose from at these prices.