[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

More Eagles Rumors

i_am_the_swammi

Howard Eskin, who usually is pretty accurate in terms of reporting the Eagles pulse via his close relationship with Andy Reid, called into the afternoon show from Florida (he's on a spring-training assignment) with the following:

The Eagles are definitely in the mix to make a real run at Assante Samuel, and assuming they can sign him, they would then trade disgruntled CB Lito Sheppard to the Cardinals for cap-liability Larry Fitzgerald.

It was also then reported that if the Eagles could not sign Samuel, they would utlize plan B, which would be to send their 1st round pick (#19) to the Lions for Roy Williams & the Lions 2nd-round pick, or a swap of Sheppard for Williams, with the Ealges then using their 1st-round pick on one of the deepest class of DBs in some time.

Also mentioned was that the Eagles may also get in the a Vilma talks, with the idea that he can anchor the already-solid LB crrps...they would then move Chris Gocong to his natural DE position opposite Trent Cole. Sheppard would be the trade bait in this deal as well. they again would use their 1st-rounder on a CB, and sign a solid WR to add depth (Javon Walker was mentioned as the likely WR).

if anyone is wondering why the Eagles are moving Pro-Bowler Sheppard, he signed a new five-year deal before last season, and already wants it re-done, based on the new bar he feels Samuel will set. The Ealges are known as an organization that will absolutley not renegotiate, especailly just one year into it, and has much disdain for athetes who take their contract squabbles public (see Owens, Trotter, etc.).

Howard Eskin, who usually is pretty accurate in terms of reporting the Eagles pulse via his close relationship with Andy Reid, called into the afternoon show from Florida (he's on a spring-training assignment) with the following:

The Eagles are definitely in the mix to make a real run at Assante Samuel, and assuming they can sign him, they would then trade disgruntled CB Lito Sheppard to the Cardinals for cap-liability Larry Fitzgerald.

It was also then reported that if the Eagles could not sign Samuel, they would utlize plan B, which would be to send their 1st round pick (#19) to the Lions for Roy Williams & the Lions 2nd-round pick, or a swap of Sheppard for Williams, with the Ealges then using their 1st-round pick on one of the deepest class of DBs in some time.

Also mentioned was that the Eagles may also get in the a Vilma talks, with the idea that he can anchor the already-solid LB crrps...they would then move Chris Gocong to his natural DE position opposite Trent Cole. Sheppard would be the trade bait in this deal as well. they again would use their 1st-rounder on a CB, and sign a solid WR to add depth (Javon Walker was mentioned as the likely WR).

if anyone is wondering why the Eagles are moving Pro-Bowler Sheppard, he signed a new five-year deal before last season, and already wants it re-done, based on the new bar he feels Samuel will set. The Ealges are known as an organization that will absolutley not renegotiate, especailly just one year into it, and has much disdain for athetes who take their contract squabbles public (see Owens, Trotter, etc.).

All of the above scenarios sounds pretty good to me. I'm not real excited about a Javon Walker coming to town though.

FWIW re the Lions trading Williams... :wacko:

The Lions are not going to trade Roy Williams. Lions coach Rod Marinelli wants both Williams and Calvin Johnson at wide receiver.

"I know the rumors are out there, but no," Marinelli said. "Those two guys together, I want to see those guys where they can really impact the game."

FWIW re the Lions trading Williams... :wacko:

He's not the GM...

I've been watchin the Cards close lately and agree.........the GM Graves says he stays......big hit or not

http://www.azcardinals.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2250

That's why I have a hard time with the rumors. I read that he said that they would hold up to their end of the contract reguardless if it's re-worked or not.

if they admit he's on the block, then his value drops...
He's not the GM...

That's why I have a hard time with the rumors. I read that he said that they would hold up to their end of the contract reguardless if it's re-worked or not.

Hence the inclusion of FWIW... also, FWIW from Lions beat writer, Tom Kowalski... :wacko:

Don't believe the recent rumors you hear about Lions receiver Roy Williams getting traded.

Oh, the Lions will entertain trade offers for Williams but, according to a source close to the situation, the Lions will only pull the trigger on a deal if there's overwhelming value for Detroit. Williams is on the trading block, but not the same block as defensive tackle Shaun Rogers. The Lions want to part with Rogers if they get decent value and there's more motivation for head coach Rod Marinelli to move on without Rogers.

IMO, I don't see how Lito Sheppard in a one-for-one sign and trade for Roy works out to be "overwhelming value" for the Lions. I definitely don't see the "overwhelming value" for the Lions in sending Roy Williams (a proven veteran and top 10 pick himself) plus a 2nd rounder for the Eagles' mid-first round pick.

Edited by kingfish247

He's not the GM...

the problem lies in what the cards will be able to do or should i say NOT do in FA if Fitz doesnt rework his deal

No way I see Roy leaving Detroit as we're trying to establish a running game, something he impacts with his threat as a reciever. CJ and Roy are a deadly combo providing CJ can actually catch the ball this year. Roy is our best offensive talent by far right now.

also, what were the other rumors...considering you said "More Eagles rumors"....I didn't hear anything prior to this...

the other rumors were as I mentioned above....aside from the Samuel aquisition (which appears even more likely this AM)....the Fitz talk, the Williams talk, the Vilma talk.

All the subsequent scenarios revolve around signing Samuel....that's the only way Lito Sheppard is expendable.