[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Protesting the Convention

Savage Beatings

The Republican National Convention will be held in Minnesota this year. There are some interesting stories in the local news here about how Protesters are not being issued permits as quickly as they expected, and that they are being asked to stay in a roped-off area about a block or two from the actual convention. The Protesters are all upset.

I'm a very big proponent of Freedom of Speach. It always bothers me intensely when some group tries to "shut up" another group.

Still, aside from the freedom of speach issue here, I'm wondering to myself, what exactly are the Protesters hoping to accomplish by protesting a Republican National Convention? It's not like they are going to suddenly convert a wandering Republican on the street. Is it just to try to get news coverage? What's the thinking here... any activists here have experience with this kind of thing? I'm genuinely curious.

I think the Rush Limbaugh talk radio crowd would rather see Hillary win and hope the country sinks deep into the looming recession so they can get the office back in 4 years. So maybe they'll protest how much they hate McCain?

I think the Rush Limbaugh talk radio crowd would rather see Hillary win and hope the country sinks deep into the looming recession so they can get the office back in 4 years. So maybe they'll protest how much they hate McCain?

:wacko: a little more likely it is the typical dirty hippy protesters.

its a waste

when the Republicans has the last convention in NY 4 years back , the whole area was locked down ...never ever saw security like that , and you could not get anywhere near the building nore anywhere near any politicians who were attending

you literally had to protest a mile away and did in my opinion does not have same effect

The Republican National Convention will be held in Minnesota this year. There are some interesting stories in the local news here about how Protesters are not being issued permits as quickly as they expected, and that they are being asked to stay in a roped-off area about a block or two from the actual convention. The Protesters are all upset.

I'm a very big proponent of Freedom of Speach. It always bothers me intensely when some group tries to "shut up" another group.

Still, aside from the freedom of speach issue here, I'm wondering to myself, what exactly are the Protesters hoping to accomplish by protesting a Republican National Convention? It's not like they are going to suddenly convert a wandering Republican on the street. Is it just to try to get news coverage? What's the thinking here... any activists here have experience with this kind of thing? I'm genuinely curious.

Shut up and fall in line.

ya know, i don't really see that the first amendment gives you the right to get right in the middle of schit to disrupt it. you are free to assmeble and carry your stupid signs around pretty much anywhere in the country except maybe right in front of the building where this stuff is going on, maybe you have to go a block down or something. boo hoo.

ya know, i don't really see that the first amendment gives you the right to get right in the middle of schit to disrupt it. you are free to assmeble and carry your stupid signs around pretty much anywhere in the country except maybe right in front of the building where this stuff is going on, maybe you have to go a block down or something. boo hoo.

It is public property....they all have the "right" to be there.

It is public property....they all have the "right" to be there.

there is all sorts of public property where you or i don't have the right to go whenever we want. they close down streets for parades, fairs, awards shows, they create security perimeters for various things, etc. that sort of thing is within the discretion of the local police departments, as it should be.

there is all sorts of public property where you or i don't have the right to go whenever we want. they close down streets for parades, fairs, awards shows, they create security perimeters for various things, etc. that sort of thing is within the discretion of the local police departments, as it should be.

Correct, but I think you will find as long as the crowd isn't disrupting the flow of the event, they can assemble, if they have a proper permit. the fact they have to be moved two to three blocks away should give one pause. I should think the city should have to show a public safety exception to move this speech this far away...but I am not a Constitutional Lawyer....just took COnLaw classes in college.

its a waste

when the Republicans has the last convention in NY 4 years back , the whole area was locked down ...never ever saw security like that , and you could not get anywhere near the building nore anywhere near any politicians who were attending

you literally had to protest a mile away and did in my opinion does not have same effect

Didn't have the same effect? What exactly was the effect that you were hoping for? You seem to have experience with this, so I am very interested in what it was that you wanted to have happen as a result of your protesting.

So, do you think they do it (protest conventions) with the intent to disrupt it as opposed to say, getting someone to understand and agree with their argument?

So, do you think they do it (protest conventions) with the intent to disrupt it as opposed to say, getting someone to understand and agree with their argument?

Why does it got to be either/or and unrelated to a multitude of factors? If anti-war protesters weren't out disrupting crap pre-invasion, would an overwhelming majority of Americans currently believe that military force in Iraq was a mistake?

Moving it to another area, far away from the location is the same as censorship, it's taking away your right to voice your opinion. And that is a bullpoopy move.

As long as the protestor's abide by the law, and do not interfere with the business at hand, they should have the right to be there and express there displeasue with the Republicans, Democrats, Greens, Vulcans, or whoever.

What they don't have the right to do is destroy property, interfere with the police who are trying to maintain order, harass others, and they DO NOT have the right to break into the convention and interfere with the people attending this event's right to voice their opinion.

And no, they are not there to convert anyone, they are voicing their anger at what their Government is doing.... And lst I checked, we haven't lost the right to do that.

Moving it to another area, far away from the location is the same as censorship, it's taking away your right to voice your opinion. And that is a bullpoopy move.

As long as the protestor's abide by the law, and do not interfere with the business at hand, they should have the right to be there and express there displeasue with the Republicans, Democrats, Greens, Vulcans, or whoever.

What they don't have the right to do is destroy property, interfere with the police who are trying to maintain order, harass others, and they DO NOT have the right to break into the convention and interfere with the people attending this event's right to voice their opinion.

And no, they are not there to convert anyone, they are voicing their anger at what their Government is doing.... And lst I checked, we haven't lost the right to do that.

Unfortunately....yes you have....called the Patriot Act. Gotta love those liberty lovin nutjobs who think they represent my party.

IRON MY SHIRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wacko: is that a serious question?

Well, I guess I just don't think along those lines... so while it seems naive, yes I am serisouly asking. It just seems ironic that they would be upset about having their freedom of speech suppressed when in reality, the main point of their protest is to disrupt the convention (in essence denying their opponents their freedom of speech).

It just seems ironic that they would be upset about having their freedom of speech suppressed when in reality, the main point of their protest is to disrupt the convention (in essence denying their opponents their freedom of speech).

Not really sure what you are getting at. If in fact the permitting process, like you indicated, is selectively being delayed and are only granted to certain groups to assemble and protest peacefully/legally, I'm missing the sense of irony here.

People protest something to get on the news so the whole country can see how unpopular it is.

"Look at all those people who feel so strongly about it that they got up off their asses and went down there to yell."

Yes, it does have a purpose, and it shouldn't be cordoned off into "free speech zones" far from the action.

Not really sure what you are getting at. If in fact the permitting process, like you indicated, is selectively being delayed and are only granted to certain groups to assemble and protest peacefully/legally, I'm missing the sense of irony here.

I'm not sure how much more clear I could have been. They are upset about the supression of their freedom of speech, which they would use to supress someone else's freedom of speech by purposely disrupting their convention. I can't help you to recognize irony when it is clearly wagging its ass-finger in your face. Is it partisanship which blinds you to the irony I wonder?

I'm not sure how much more clear I could have been. They are upset about the supression of their freedom of speech, which they would use to supress someone else's freedom of speech by purposely disrupting their convention. I can't help you to recognize irony when it is clearly wagging its ass-finger in your face. Is it partisanship which blinds you to the irony I wonder?

:wacko: I don’t think you are being very clear and my point/inferred question was hardly partisan. You appear to be making broad generalizations and coming to a predisposed conclusion after you glanced at a couple headlines that irked you a bit. Are there legitimate beefs about permitting and rightful protest in this specific instance? You clearly don't think so, but haven't explained why besides saying that every lefty protester's primary objective is to ironically deny freedom of speech for participants at the RNC. What is your foundation for this seemingly baseless conclusion in this particular instance?

Didn't have the same effect? What exactly was the effect that you were hoping for? You seem to have experience with this, so I am very interested in what it was that you wanted to have happen as a result of your protesting.

I have experience with this ? was not aware i had any

my pt is the sceurity detail , police , etc wont allow for a congregation that is large or anywhere near the sight of convention itself and imho that makes it carry less weight

i believe the most effective protests are the ones done right in the faces and eyes of who you are protesting against

Edited by isleseeya