[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is evil?

polksalet

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, then your contention is to answer this question with a truth...that there is no truth....so your universal truth is that there is no such thing as a universal truth.....what a conundrum?

No. I never stated there is or is not a "truth". I stated that there is no "universally agreed upon" truth. There may be an absolute truth, but if it does exist, there are a myriad of interpretations of that truth based upon culture, society, religion, environment, and ton of other outside influences.

No. I never stated there is or is not a "truth". I stated that there is no "universally agreed upon" truth. There may be an absolute truth, but if it does exist, there are a myriad of interpretations of that truth based upon culture, society, religion, environment, and ton of other outside influences.

The truth is the truth...and any interpretation to the contrary of said truth is due to the ineffectiveness of man...not the truth.

The truth is the truth...and any interpretation to the contrary of said truth is due to the ineffectiveness of man...not the truth.

You got me. I guess I'm saying mankind is ineffective, not perfect by nature, and can't handle the truth.

Killing in the name of religion. Evil or not?

Human history glorifies great killers. Be they great leaders or not.

Cannibalism. Evil or not?

In western culture where a fast food place is on every street corner, perhaps evil.

In the middle of the Congo or Serengeti, maybe not. It's a food source.

In less than one generation, Lenin and Stalin turned a feudalistic society into the 2nd most dominant force in the world.

They just happened to kill 5 or so million of their own people to do so. Was it evil to do so or did they save themselves in the long run?

Did the Nazis think of themselves as evil?

Do Americans?

If a poor man steals medicine to help his ailing wife. Is he evil?

It's all a matter of perspective.

EVIL

Cannibalism. Evil or not?

In western culture where a fast food place is on every street corner, perhaps evil.

In the middle of the Congo or Serengeti, maybe not. It's a food source.

EVIL ACT , motive not Evil

In less than one generation, Lenin and Stalin turned a feudalistic society into the 2nd most dominant force in the world.

They just happened to kill 5 or so million of their own people to do so. Was it evil to do so or did they save themselves in the long run?

EVIL ACT AND EVIL MOTIVE

Did the Nazis think of themselves as evil?

Do Americans?

EVIL all the way across

If a poor man steals medicine to help his ailing wife. Is he evil?

ACT IS EVIL , MOTIVE IS NOTE

It's all a matter of perspective.

Disagree as has been written all over this thread ...its not a matter of perspective ..Their is a concrete real defininition of evil ...there may be many examples where the action is evil but the motive is not but again the action itself is evil

answered with my perspectibe directly in above in bold

and with this i am probably done as starting to get repetitive and clear not all will agree and thats ok as well

QUOTE(Riffraff @ 3/13/08 3:54pm)

EVIL

and with this i am probably done as starting to get repetitive and clear not all will agree and thats ok as well

So God is evil for bring the flood and killing millions?

So God is evil for bring the flood and killing millions?

God killed millions ? I believe he has saved trillions actually

As a Christian, my definition of evil would be anything that is not pleasing to God. Any thing that would seperate yourself from your relationship with God is evil, such as greed for material things, lust, selfishness, or unwillingness to do God's will.

Lust is evil? How far does that go? I sometimes look at my wife in a pretty lustful manner. I'm fixed, so everything that happens after when my lustful needs are satiated is not for procreation. I am all about the lust.

God killed millions ? I believe he has saved trillions actually

Nobody died in the flood and everybody made it on the ark?

How would you classify it? Non-evil motive but an evil act?

good impaired

Lust is evil? How far does that go? I sometimes look at my wife in a pretty lustful manner. I'm fixed, so everything that happens after when my lustful needs are satiated is not for procreation. I am all about the lust.

If lusting after untas wife is a sin I am surely going to hell

I would classify as Old Testament ...which i do not have a problem with but as a Christian its not my doctrine and basis of faith and religion

let me say , Tsunami of a few years ago ...many hundreds of thousands people killed ...but in the Christian faith , we are not to sit there and blame God ..rather we say or should say " Bless those who died and made it to Heaven they are with their maker and all is great for them eternally " and Thank God for the time we had with those people

Glass should ( and its not easy ) always be half full ....not half empty

the end game is not here on earth ...at least not for those who believe

Sexual urges towards your wife is not lust. Sex with your wife is permited by God and sex between spouses is a spiritual thing gifted to us by God. Lust, the way i have inturpreted it, is having sexual urges to other women that are not your wife. Looking at another woman and thinking that she is attractive is not lust. Looking at another woman and thinking what you would like to do to her is lust. Hey, i did not say I was not guilty, I am just saying that it is a Biblical evil.

I would classify as Old Testament ...which i do not have a problem with but as a Christian its not my doctrine and basis of faith and religion

let me say , Tsunami of a few years ago ...many hundreds of thousands people killed ...but in the Christian faith , we are not to sit there and blame God ..rather we say or should say " Bless those who died and made it to Heaven they are with their maker and all is great for them eternally " and Thank God for the time we had with those people

Glass should ( and its not easy ) always be half full ....not half empty

the end game is not here on earth ...at least not for those who believe

try to separate what is evil and what is not from youre religious views... i know its hard and scary but try it ...

isnt man evil buy nature??