[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

People who vote

H8tank

Many do. The tanker deal going to France is one example.

You realize that those tankers will be built in Alabama, right?

(Also, even better--since EADS is subsidized by the European nations, it essentially means that European taxpayers will be helping to pay for the tankers. I, for one, welcome the Europeans' decision to finally start helping to pay for our mutual defense.)

Edited by wiegie

You realize that those tankers will be built in Alabama, right?

(Also, even better--since EADS is subsidized by the European nations, it essentially means that European taxpayers will be helping to pay for the tankers. I, for one, welcome the Europeans' decision to finally start helping to pay for our mutual defense.)

I heard it was about 60%(my mistake).The final assembly will be in Alabama, but most of the parts will come from Europe.

In the U.K., where the wings of the aircraft will be manufactured, EADS said the contract will bring $6 billion worth of work and help to secure 9,000 jobs. Shares of engineering company Cobham (UK:COB: news, chart, profile) bucked the lower London trend, rising 3% in midday trading.

The British arm of GE Aerospace Systems, formerly known as Smiths Aerospace, is also expected to benefit.

U.S. suppliers, however, won't completely miss out on the project.

The aircraft's frame will be built at Airbus' new Mobile, Alabama center of excellence and final assembly facility. Overall Northrop said 60% of the plane will be built in the U.S. and the project would support 25,000 jobs. Boeing claims it would have created 44,000 had it won.

Edited by Randall

Outsourcing is killing our country people. I dont know why we dont talk about that more than we do. People used to be able to make a living and pay their mortgages . Now their jobs are overseas. I am not saying all the foreclosures are to be blamed on outsourcing. I know a majority are to be blamed on predatory lenders and people who had no business accepting the loans but outsourcing is a hugh deal that doesnt get much play on these boards

Unfortunately, a result of getting closer to a true global economy. Wedgie could explain in more detail I guess.

the warGW got us in is the longest war we have ever been in i think ??

Drinkin' the liberal koolaid, eh Yukon? :wacko:

Require foreign companies to build here or force them to open up their markets.

We have to make it economically advantageous for companies to operate here. That includes taxes, skilled labor, etc. I do agree with the other side of the equation being more open markets elsewhere as well though.

Outsourcing is killing our country people. I dont know why we dont talk about that more than we do. People used to be able to make a living and pay their mortgages . Now their jobs are overseas. I am not saying all the foreclosures are to be blamed on outsourcing. I know a majority are to be blamed on predatory lenders and people who had no business accepting the loans but outsourcing is a hugh deal that doesnt get much play on these boards

We have to make it economically advantageous for companies to operate here. That includes taxes, skilled labor, etc. I do agree with the other side of the equation being more open markets elsewhere as well though.

It is part of what you get for artificially inflating wages here in the US so politicians can get a few more votes.

• 1 month later...

QUOTE (Atlanta Cracker @ 3/18/08 3:30pm)

We don't allow foreign airlines to fly all over our country. We don't allow competition there. Negotiate for better deals.

QUOTE(Pope Flick @ 3/18/08 4:52pm)

Germany declared war on us, not the other way around. If we fired the first shot - good for us.

Why do you hate America?

QUOTE Polk-

true or false

That's 2 questions.

1-Germany declared war on us after Pearl Harbor.

2-True -you do hate america.

It is part of what you get for artificially inflating wages here in the US so politicians can get a few more votes.

And we can't forget the influence of Unions for the artificially inflated wages!! It's sad to see the auto workers complaining about the competition when they did a lot of it to themselves. All they saw was "hey, I get another raise and more money in my pocket" with Union rules. They got scammed the Unions by not looking at the long-term.

What's also sick is the politicians that are trying to convince them the jobs will come back if they vote for them.

It's only going to grow Whomp - at the (relatively) small company I work at, we have 10,000 Filipinos handling calls from American customers. Thats 20,800,000 man hours per year. At US Call center costs, it would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of USD$600 million to do that work. Our annual revenue is under USD$140 Million. This is an easy decision for CEOs. People will sacrifice quality for $$ every day. The Sr. VP of our largest customer told me a few weeks ago that he doesn't mind trading 8-10% in quality scores vs. a US based call center for the dollars we are saving his company. So, the question I would have for anyone anti outsourcing would be this - if you were told you'd have to pay 50% more across the board for any service or product currently handled offshore to move said service or product back into the US, would you do it? The world is shrinking and will continue to shrink. In 2004, there were approximately 100,000 seats occupied by outsourced employees in the Philippines - today? 235,000, with 900,000 projected by the end of 2010 - and the Philippines holds only a 5% stake in the world outsourcing market. India beats us by about 10-1.

Another reason that companies outsource is the built in laziness of American workers. At my last company, we took on a mailroom and data entry shop for a large HMO and moved the mailroom to Mexico and the data entry to Ghana. At the source company, they had 180 FTEs in the mailroom, and over 400 FTEs doing data entry. Once ramped, we had 105 in the mailroom and 270 doing data entry - a net reduction of 205 FTEs. I would imagine that if the source company could have trimmed their staff by 205 and kept the work in house, they likely would have, but that wouldn't work - your average American isnt capable of producing 8 hours of hard work in a day. I know that sounds harsh, but its a fact - does it mean everyone is that way? No, not at all. But there is a high enough percentage of lazy, spoiled Americans (and Canadians and Europeans, for that matter) that work will continue to be pushed out to workforces that actually value their jobs and work their tails off every day. And before the sweatshop cries start, our facilities are state of the art, air conditioned buildings. When inside the only way you'd even be able to tell that you aren't in a US Office building would be the way the workers look.

And we can't forget the influence of Unions for the artificially inflated wages!! It's sad to see the auto workers complaining about the competition when they did a lot of it to themselves. All they saw was "hey, I get another raise and more money in my pocket" with Union rules. They got scammed the Unions by not looking at the long-term.

What's also sick is the politicians that are trying to convince them the jobs will come back if they vote for them.

What's also sick is CEO's of failing companies getting $40-$100 million bonuses. If workers are responsible for their failures so should CEO's.

Carter was weak

Dubya is just evil ( and incompetent ...hell of a combo .....remind you of any huddler :wacko: ? )

Germany had to be stopped and it was one of the greatest causes the United states ever got involved in or took up ...One of our proudest moments