[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Joke for Wiegie

Hugh 0ne

Zwe Bärner Giele stöh zäme zfriede a dr Aare.

Da gseh si plötzlech wie ä Zürcher i dr Strömig um sis Läbe kämpft.

Da seit dr eint Bärner zum angere: isch ou no hert, he! Dr anger dert kämpft verbisse um sis Läbe u mir stöh nume da u luege zue.

Seit dr anger: ja hesch eigentlich rächt, chum mir hocke ab!

And I got a free huddle membership for anyone other than Wiegie (getting help from him doesn't count either) that translates the joke.

Person 1: My dog has no nose.

Person 2: How does he smell?

Person 1: He smells terrible!

Person 1 and Person 2: Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now please alert DMD you'll be paying for my 2008 membership. Thanks.

Zwe Bärner Giele stöh zäme zfriede a dr Aare.

Da gseh si plötzlech wie ä Zürcher i dr Strömig um sis Läbe kämpft.

Da seit dr eint Bärner zum angere: isch ou no hert, he! Dr anger dert kämpft verbisse um sis Läbe u mir stöh nume da u luege zue.

Seit dr anger: ja hesch eigentlich rächt, chum mir hocke ab!

And I got a free huddle membership for anyone other than Wiegie (getting help from him doesn't count either) that translates the joke.

:wacko: my German MIL couldn't read it.........said it's a bunch of chit dialect from round there thrown together :D

My friend from Minnesota now lives in Germany. It took him 2 days to translate this dern thing. And I think that's it's funny that he actually used football analogies considering where I got this joke from (he's a Viking fan, I'm a Packer fan).

Here's his take:

I got it, but it won't be that funny for you. It's a joke that's about two guys from the city Bern in Switzerland and a guy from Zurich, Switzerland. An easy way to make this funny is to make the guys from Bern Viking fans and the guy from Zurich a Packer fan. So here is the translation:

zwe bärner giele stöh zäme zfriede ar aare

Two Viking fans (in the joke: two guys from Bern) are happily standing on the bank of the Mississippi (here the river Aar in Switzerland).

da gseh si plötzlech wie ä zürcher ir strömig um sis läbe kämpft.

Then, they suddenly see a Packer fan (in the joke: the guy from Zurich) struggling for his life against the current.

da seit dr eint bärner zum angere:

One Viking fan said to the other:

"isch ou no hert, he dr anger dert kämpft verbisse um sis läbe

"Wow, this is crazy, the Packer fan is struggling for his life

u mir stöh nume da u luege zue "

and we're just standing here and watching."

seit dr anger:

The other Viking fan answered,

"ja hesch eigentlich rächt, chum mir hocke ab!"

You're right, let's sit down!"

This kind of humor is common around Europe, where cities next to each other are rivals, much like our states.

:wacko: my German MIL couldn't read it.........said it's a bunch of chit dialect from round there thrown together :D

It's Swiss German, I think. I couldn't find a translator on the innerwebs for Swiss-German.

This was my friend's comment earlier today:

Getting close to solving it. The dialect is not Bavarian, rather Swiss, which for me is much easier. If I could hear this from the mouth of a Swiss person, I could easily understand it. I know this may sound wierd, but there are so many dialects in German (over 300!), while English doesn't have any dialects, it only has accents, which means the words are largely the same throughout the world. For example, a different dialect of Sachsische is spoken here in Dresden than in Leipzig, where my girlfriend comes from. She says "Ja" for yes, while the people from Dresden, say "Nü". Anyhoo, the joke is about two Swiss people from the city Bern. I will solve this today!

ok i got one...

MR ducks

MR not

SAR, CM wangs?

LIB! MR ducks

Them are ducks

Them are not

Yes dey are, see them wangs (wings)

Well I Be! Them are ducks

:wacko: Old RR joke repeated by cliaz

Edited by Big John

Nicely done. :D

Tell your buddy he's got free huddle membership coming his way. :wacko:

If there was some way we could buy him a beer in Germany, that would be perfect.

He's actually flying back for my wedding in July!

Nicely done. :D

Tell your buddy he's got free huddle membership coming his way. :wacko:

You might have to get him one. I didn't know he played FF at all. But I told him that you owe him one year at the huddle (he'd actually be a great tailgate addition), of course he is a Viking fan. This was his reply:

"I still play FF in one league, so maybe I'll think about it. The joke was really hard, maybe only 300,000 German speakers in the whole world would get it. My girlfirend had no idea and she only speaks German. I figured out that it was the Swiss dialect, she had no idea that it was a Swiss joke. Then I went to a Swiss-dialect to German dictionary and found about a third of the words. The guy (wiegie) who has been travelling to Germany wouldn't have had a chance to figure it out. Tell your buddy (Hugh) if he wants any jokes from Sachsen, to let me know. The dialect is really hard here."

Swiss German is technically not a written language. Also, with Swiss German there are tons of dialects, so an unwritten language has unwritten dialects. :wacko: The joke I posted was in the dialect they use in and around the Capitol City of Bern, as mentioned by your buddy. I posted this for Wiegie because he's married to a Swiss girl, although I don't know where she's from. I'm pretty impressed at your buddy's way of coming up with the answer, and the fact that he's 100% accurate with not only the translation but the intepretation as well. Good stuff. Get his ass over to the huddle, he's got a free membership waiting.