[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Northwest Airlines

Cyclones

What a hellacious week.

So I'm scheduled to leave Manila Monday morning at 8 am for Tokyo, then nonstop to Seattle from there.

Computer problem with the plane out of Manila delays us 3 hours, miss the connection to Seattle, end up having to go through Minneapolis, which sucked.

Then on the way back, computer issues again prevent the plane from leaving, we end up having to switch planes, get to Tokyo an hour after my connection (the last flight to Manila that night) left, so they throw us in a crappy Radisson hotel in Tokyo and stick me on a 9:35 am flight the next morning.

Now, I realize that any airline could potentially suffer equipment troubles, but here's the thing. What did NWA give us for the delays? A TWENTY FIVE DOLLAR voucher for use on another NWA booking. Back in the old days, delays like this would result in free round trip flights, and now for two major disruptions I get fifty bucks off my next flight with them? The airlines must really be hurting for jack.

Me -> :wacko: <-NWA

They probably can suck more but I drive down to Minneapolis to fly because NWA is the only airline up here.

Maybe the Delta merger will help. I'd rather swim across the Pacific than fly Northwest. :wacko:

Yep, I just refuse to fly North'Worst' airlines...on the other hand, I had to book a flight back from California last week and tried to get out on Friday with SouthWest, but all their flights were booked for that day in Oakland, San Fran, and San Jose (all $180 flights)...when I couldn't get one of those started looking elsewhere. American wanted $1,056 for the one-way, and United wanted $566 for their one-way...of course I would have had to fly from Oakland into Atlanta on the United flight, and then back to Austin where I live (a mere 10 hours in the air). This is probably the reason I see several hundred people at the SouthWest counters on any given day and 3 people at each of those other 2...I'll bet they get lot's of extra leg room though :wacko:

What a hellacious week.

So I'm scheduled to leave Manila Monday morning at 8 am for Tokyo, then nonstop to Seattle from there.

Computer problem with the plane out of Manila delays us 3 hours, miss the connection to Seattle, end up having to go through Minneapolis, which sucked.

Then on the way back, computer issues again prevent the plane from leaving, we end up having to switch planes, get to Tokyo an hour after my connection (the last flight to Manila that night) left, so they throw us in a crappy Radisson hotel in Tokyo and stick me on a 9:35 am flight the next morning.

Now, I realize that any airline could potentially suffer equipment troubles, but here's the thing. What did NWA give us for the delays? A TWENTY FIVE DOLLAR voucher for use on another NWA booking. Back in the old days, delays like this would result in free round trip flights, and now for two major disruptions I get fifty bucks off my next flight with them? The airlines must really be hurting for jack.

Me -> :D <-NWA

You need to realize that Doug Steenland, CEO of NWA who took them into and out of bankruptcy, reduced the pay for all staff by up to ~30% and lowered morale to zero has to get his $80,000,000 bonus for his brilliant performance from somewhere.

Don't whine so much, Steenland has had it way harder than you. :wacko:

And those of us that live in Minneapolis have to put up with this crap airline every f'n day.

they are the worst and the poster child of ceo's stripping the workers ,state and country for money... will never fly them again and have not for 15 years...

Why do you hate America? We owe it to the founding fathers to bail out poorly managed companies.

they are the worst and the poster child of ceo's stripping the workers ,state and country for money... will never fly them again and have not for 15 years...

so when they go out of bizness, who do you think gets hurt more......the millionaire ceo or the baggage handler? good choice doofus.

so when they go out of bizness, who do you think gets hurt more......the millionaire ceo or the baggage handler? good choice doofus.

Right, because when Northwest stopped operating, clearly the demand for people needing to fly would decrease with it, so nobody would expand or take their place.

It's better to support bad companies than to allow the expansion of more successful ones. :wacko:

Right, because when Northwest stopped operating, clearly the demand for people needing to fly would decrease with it, so nobody would expand or take their place.

It's better to support bad companies than to allow the expansion of more successful ones. :wacko:

never said they didnt suck. but he started the typikal liberal whining about ceos and mistreatment of workers. well if you base your part of your decision to not fly them cause of the ceo, you hurt the little guy alot more than the millionaire.

never said they didnt suck. but he started the typikal liberal whining about ceos and mistreatment of workers. well if you base your part of your decision to not fly them cause of the ceo, you hurt the little guy alot more than the millionaire.

So then what is the best course of action then :wacko:

You haven't read this thread, or even your own posts, have you?

You said that the airline people would lose their jobs if we let Northwest go under. I suggested that it's better for them in the long run if the company that treats them poorly goes under and a more successful company takes their place... which is an inevitability.

Nobody is refusing to fly because of their CEO. They are refusing to fly because they suck ass. See above for more detail.

:wacko: u are dim

Oh you mean like when American Airlines got the pilots and flight attendants to agree to a much lower contracts and then it was leaked the execs got huge bonuses?

Look many of us are open to workers making less when the company needs it, but lying and screwing workers is not a good idea or leftist.

Edited by Randall

• 2 weeks later...

You said that the airline people would lose their jobs if we let Northwest go under. I suggested that it's better for them in the long run if the company that treats them poorly goes under and a more successful company takes their place... which is an inevitability.

Nobody is refusing to fly because of their CEO. They are refusing to fly because they suck ass. See above for more detail.

Bingo Mr. At-oh-mee-chio. I have no clue who their CEO is and could give a rats ass how much lettuce he brings home. The airline blows and will not be getting any more of my money. I'll fly Cathay and endure a stop in Hong Kong from now on rather than hop on another NWA flight.

youre brilliant. ask all those american auto workers how their job search is going. there are so many jobs out there! u funny!

youre brilliant. ask all those american auto workers how their job search is going. there are so many jobs out there! u funny!

You are not that stupid. The two situations are totally different. Auto manufacturing can be done anywhere. Provision of airplanes involves bringing the airplane to the place it's needed.