[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Moving Expenses

DemonKnight

I am scheduled to relocate from sunny Fort Lauderdale to our Regional Office in Columbia, MD. I have a condo secured and this is a job transfer (same company). I got a relocation bonus but I want to ditch all my stuff that is practically destroyed by my kids at this point anyway,and buy all new stuffrather than paying to ship all my crappy furniture. Unfortunately my old lady wants to drag along a bunch of "junk" she has accumulated over the last few years here in Florida and I need to move my books, clothes, kitchen stuff, etc. I have started giving stuff to Faith Farm and the dump already. The move is on the weekend of April 11.

So, my question is, is there anywhere I can rent a cargo van (like Enterprise Rent a Van) for a one way trip. I wanna stay away from the U-Hauls and Ryder type companies that usually give it to ya when it comes to price. I wanna stay under a G. Anyone recently move or have any suggestions on where I can find a cargo van for one way rentals? I've already tried all the big rental agencies in my area and all they have is SUV's or Mini-Vans which I dont think will cut it.

they usually dont rent the smaller trucks one-way.

:wacko:

Uh, most of those companies will rent whatever one-way. I used Ryder on my move from Cali to Texas about a year and a half ago, and for a 10-footer it was under $1,000. I believe they give AAA discounts, if you have AAA.

:wacko:

Uh, most of those companies will rent whatever one-way. I used Ryder on my move from Cali to Texas about a year and a half ago, and for a 10-footer it was under $1,000. I believe they give AAA discounts, if you have AAA.

Was it a Cargo Van? I dont wanna haul a bunch of unused space and we already have the Montero to load some of the stuff in...

:D

I just got off of the phone with the local Ryder and they dont even do one way rentals... :wacko:

Was it a Cargo Van? I dont wanna haul a bunch of unused space and we already have the Montero to load some of the stuff in...

No, but I'm pretty sure Enterprise has cargo vans, but not sure if they do one-ways.

I just got off of the phone with the local Ryder and they dont even do one way rentals... :D

:wacko: Let me rack my brain a bit more then.... it may have been another company.

And of course, it probably depends on what location you rent from... some might not do one-ways. I have done several one-way rentals for moves, though.

I just got off of the phone with the local Ryder and they dont even do one way rentals... :wacko:

What about a trailer? You said you have a Montero. Does it have a trailer hitch? You can rent a U-Haul trailer for about $500 or so. I moved from NY to FL and returned it to a U-Haul in West Palm.

What about a trailer? You said you have a Montero. Does it have a trailer hitch? You can rent a U-Haul trailer for about $500 or so. I moved from NY to FL and returned it to a U-Haul in West Palm.

No trailer hitch and the old lady is already worried about "overloading" the SUV. :wacko: I actually gave thought to having one installed. It would be more expensive but I would have a trailer hitch for the Boat/ATV/Jet Ski I dont currently own.

$1014 for a U-Haul one way 10 footer. Bets I've found so far. When I moved down here it was more like 1500 but we did have a trailer for the car... Is it cheaper to tow the SUV or drive it gas wise? :wacko:

Dude, just burn your stuff, report it stolen and collect the insurance money.

No, but I'm pretty sure Enterprise has cargo vans, but not sure if they do one-ways.

:wacko: Let me rack my brain a bit more then.... it may have been another company.

And of course, it probably depends on what location you rent from... some might not do one-ways. I have done several one-way rentals for moves, though.

the cargo vans only stay local rentals. enterprise only does local too. uhaul seems to be the cheapest that i've seen.

Two thoughts:

1) I have worked for FedEx Ground for 12+ years, and if the stuff isn't breakable, you could easily ship it for less than it would cost to rent a van/truck. If there is a lot of packing involved (or if you have breakables, etc.), don't bother with FedEx or UPS, though.

2) If the rental company knows you are using it to move, they will jack the price for a one-way trip. However, if you simply try to rent a vehicle from a CAR RENTAL place (still could use Budget, Enterprise, etc.), it might be much cheaper to just upgrade the one-way car rental to a van/mini-van/SUV, depending on how much stuff you have. I've rented cars one-way from Minneapolis to Sioux Falls, SD, and it was around $100 to rent it on a Saturday and return it Sunday to a different state. On the contrary, my wife and I used a 24-foot Ryder to move from SD to CA, and it was about $2000 to go one-way.

Given that your trip is further than the MN-SD trip, but less than SD-CA, I can't imagine that you couldn't get a passenger van for more than a few hundred bucks. But, once again, I think moving (truck) rental places will screw you on one-way trips much more than car rental agencies that have vans. Just an idea....

One more thing.... Try Priceline, and attempt to use the "Name Your Own Price" option for car rentals. I think you can specify the size of vehicle you want, whether it's roundtrip or one-way, etc. I've used this site probably 50+ times for flights, hotels, and car rentals, and never been disappointed. Most recently, I rented a full-size car for a 4-day weekend in Minnesota for literally $70 total, including all fees/taxes. I also use it all the time for hotel rooms in the San Francisco area that are normally $200 a night... and usually stay for between $60 and $80 a night. Great site, although the limited flexibility makes it not-so-good for flights if you have to depart/return at a specific time of the day.

Sorry.... Got off on a tangent, but try it... it might work out.

Two thoughts:

1) I have worked for FedEx Ground for 12+ years, and if the stuff isn't breakable, you could easily ship it for less than it would cost to rent a van/truck. If there is a lot of packing involved (or if you have breakables, etc.), don't bother with FedEx or UPS, though.

2) If the rental company knows you are using it to move, they will jack the price for a one-way trip. However, if you simply try to rent a vehicle from a CAR RENTAL place (still could use Budget, Enterprise, etc.), it might be much cheaper to just upgrade the one-way car rental to a van/mini-van/SUV, depending on how much stuff you have. I've rented cars one-way from Minneapolis to Sioux Falls, SD, and it was around $100 to rent it on a Saturday and return it Sunday to a different state. On the contrary, my wife and I used a 24-foot Ryder to move from SD to CA, and it was about $2000 to go one-way.

Given that your trip is further than the MN-SD trip, but less than SD-CA, I can't imagine that you couldn't get a passenger van for more than a few hundred bucks. But, once again, I think moving (truck) rental places will screw you on one-way trips much more than car rental agencies that have vans. Just an idea....

One more thing.... Try Priceline, and attempt to use the "Name Your Own Price" option for car rentals. I think you can specify the size of vehicle you want, whether it's roundtrip or one-way, etc. I've used this site probably 50+ times for flights, hotels, and car rentals, and never been disappointed. Most recently, I rented a full-size car for a 4-day weekend in Minnesota for literally $70 total, including all fees/taxes. I also use it all the time for hotel rooms in the San Francisco area that are normally $200 a night... and usually stay for between $60 and $80 a night. Great site, although the limited flexibility makes it not-so-good for flights if you have to depart/return at a specific time of the day.

Sorry.... Got off on a tangent, but try it... it might work out.

Wow, great info here. I don't know why I didn't think of point #2. When I travel for business, I usually rent one-way. Of course, it's not a cargo van that I'm renting, but most of the time, I'm picking up in Philly and returning in DC.... or picking up in Orlando and returning in West Palm Beach... the extra charge for this is minimal. Sounds like you're just getting bent over for the "moving" aspect of it.

BTW, it was Penske that we rented from. Pretty big truck (bigger than a cargo van) and went one way and it was like $930 for a one-way from Cali to Texas.

Penske is definitely the way to go if you need to rent a truck. Great company and their trucks are in good shape...and why in the hell do you want to move to Canada? :wacko: ...hello 5 more months of winter :D

LoL, I have family in the DC Metro, its where I grew up. The region I handle's office is in Columbia and probably my best friend in the world since middle school is in the navy and getting a transfer to Hawiaii. He owns a condo in Glen Burnie, MD and the timing was right so I said okay to the transfer (and the bonus and raise). I will be renting from a close personal friend on a rent-to-own type plan. No move in expenses. The stars just kinda alligned, ya know.

Anyway I hate the summers here, my body was just not made for the extreme heat. Not to mention the need to be away from this den of vice and temptation. I have kids now. The parties over (at least for a few years).