[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is it wrong to drive an H2?

Thews40

So I was having a conversation with a Boulder uber liberal type this weekend, and when the subject of cars came up, I relayed a story of the evil looks I got while driving in Boulder with my ex-GF’s H2. She came back with her opinion that it was “wrong” for people to drive a Hummer, and the evil looks were deserved.

Feeling like sparring a bit, I then countered with was it “wrong” for me to drive my 69 Firebird as it get 10 MPG (maybe). She comes back with a story of having to work in an office back in the day when smoking was allowed. She said she was forced to breathe polluted air, and used the analogy with a car that pollutes and uses too much public resource. But, she also said since my Firebird wasn’t used as my main car, it was technically ok, though it wouldn’t be something she’d own. Again she reiterated that it was wrong to drive an H2, as there were better options if one “needed” to have an off-road vehicle.

What strikes me as odd in this, is the mentality that people that disagree with her opinion were “wrong”. I’m far more liberal than I used to be, but I still despise the sentiment that people with opposing opinions are wrong. One could make the same argument for people that have 8 kids. The world is over populated, and while my opinion of hugh families (4+ kids) these days is wrong (especially if they can’t afford them), I won’t go as far as actually believing they are technically “wrong” for choosing to crowd the planet (I'm one of 5 by the way). But take it one step further… if everyone had 5 kids and we were bursting at the seams with humans, would it then be acceptable to use the term “wrong” for the people that chose to have too many kids? Semantics….? I’m sort of torn. So I ask you… is it wrong to drive an H2?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What strikes me as odd in this, is the mentality that people that disagree with her opinion were “wrong”. I’m far more liberal than I used to be, but I still despise the sentiment that people with opposing opinions are wrong.

Are you really trying to tell us that only liberals think people with differing opinions are wrong? Surely the very definition of anyone holding a contrary opinion to anyone else is that they are "wrong", at least to that person?

So I was having a conversation with a Boulder uber liberal type this weekend, and when the subject of cars came up, I relayed a story of the evil looks I got while driving in Boulder with my ex-GF’s H2. She came back with her opinion that it was “wrong” for people to drive a Hummer, and the evil looks were deserved.

Feeling like sparring a bit, I then countered with was it “wrong” for me to drive my 69 Firebird as it get 10 MPG (maybe). She comes back with a story of having to work in an office back in the day when smoking was allowed. She said she was forced to breathe polluted air, and used the analogy with a car that pollutes and uses too much public resource. But, she also said since my Firebird wasn’t used as my main car, it was technically ok, though it wouldn’t be something she’d own. Again she reiterated that it was wrong to drive an H2, as there were better options if one “needed” to have an off-road vehicle.

What strikes me as odd in this, is the mentality that people that disagree with her opinion were “wrong”. I’m far more liberal than I used to be, but I still despise the sentiment that people with opposing opinions are wrong. One could make the same argument for people that have 8 kids. The world is over populated, and while my opinion of hugh families (4+ kids) these days is wrong (especially if they can’t afford them), I won’t go as far as actually believing they are technically “wrong” for choosing to crowd the planet (I'm one of 5 by the way). But take it one step further… if everyone had 5 kids and we were bursting at the seams with humans, would it then be acceptable to use the term “wrong” for the people that chose to have too many kids? Semantics….? I’m sort of torn. So I ask you… is it wrong to drive an H2?

I think it's a sign of greed and feeling the need to show off by driving a H2...if you want to show off, there are several other types of cars that can do this without killing oxygen...

I also agree that families with more than 3 kids are also going overboard....

there should be a limit on children and the Doctor should tie a the tubes on a woman who has had their 3rd on the spot...

I think it's a sign of greed and feeling the need to show off by driving a H2...if you want to show off, there are several other types of cars that can do this without killing oxygen...

there should be a limit on children and the Doctor should tie a the tubes on a woman who has had their 3rd on the spot...

You could always move to China. :wacko:

have as many kids as you want, just dont make me pay for them.

Are you really trying to tell us that only liberals think people with differing opinions are wrong? Surely the very definition of anyone holding a contrary opinion to anyone else is that they are "wrong", at least to that person?

This isn't a liberal bash... simma down.

it is wrong because they are cumbersome and ugly

They're very nice cars and massive inside. We took it to Utah once... like driving in a hotel room.

Certainly this opens a can of worms and is a very hard stance to defend. After all, it doesn't take much to extrapolate the "wrong" logic to include any number personal choices that are much less obviously "wrong".

Is it "wrong" to be a homebrewer? Many of my friends that are have second refrigerators devoted to holding 5 gal kegs. Certainly this is not a core need in life (kegs of homebrew, mind you, not beer itself, which is very much a core need). However, dude is using electricity and refrigerant for a hobby. Watching DVDs? Hell, braising meats for hours until perfectly tender as opposed to using just enough gas to cook the meat to the point where it is safely edible.

So, arguing against someone calling owning a H2 as "wrong" is not a hard argument to win if you want to get technical.

However, for the most part it's pretty freaking lame for all the reasons commonly mentioned. Thus, if it is any consolation to simply be lame rather than wrong, congrats.

You should reupholster the Hummer's interior with real fur, and place a spotted owl's severed head on your hood ornament. But then place an Al Gore bumper sticker on the back. That would be a good trick!

Bitchin' idea... add a "Free Boulder" bumper sticker next to it and increase the drity looks tenfold.

It costs me more than $30 every time I fill my friggin Corolla at the gas station. Every time I see a Hummer filling up all I can think is "Somewhere in the middle east, some towelhead is laughing his ass off at that guy right now".

It costs me more than $30 every time I fill my friggin Corolla at the gas station. Every time I see a Hummer filling up all I can think is "Somewhere in the middle east, some towelhead is laughing his ass off at that guy right now".

Maybe they can afford to fill the tank up regularly and it really doesn't bother them? :wacko:

ETA: I've driven decent size SUVs for the last 7 years. I knew going in that gas wasn't going to be cheap and filling up $70 at a time isn't that big of a deal to me.

Edited by twiley

I would never drive an H2, but not because of the amount of gas it takes to keep one on the road. I can probably name 5 or 6 SUV's that will perform better off road than an H2, and honestly how many of us drive off road? I do, but that is part of my job, and I do when I go hunting as well. That said, for the hunter, smaller ATV's or deer lease trucks are generally a better option, Who wants to scratch their paint job rubbing up against a tree, or have blood stains. If it is size that matters, both the Suburban and the Expedition, seat more, and more comfortably. Two of my in-laws have H2's and I make fun of each of them when ever I get the chance.

You should reupholster the Hummer's interior with real fur, and place a spotted owl's severed head on your hood ornament. But then place an Al Gore bumper sticker on the back. That would be a good trick!

Bitchin' idea... add a "Free Boulder" bumper sticker next to it and increase the drity looks tenfold.

Maybe you could find a bumper sticker that says, "My other car makes my peener feel smaller"

I would never drive an H2, but not because of the amount of gas it takes to keep one on the road. I can probably name 5 or 6 SUV's that will perform better off road than an H2, and honestly how many of us drive off road? I do, but that is part of my job, and I do when I go hunting as well. That said, for the hunter, smaller ATV's or deer lease trucks are generally a better option, Who wants to scratch their paint job rubbing up against a tree, or have blood stains. If it is size that matters, both the Suburban and the Expedition, seat more, and more comfortably. Two of my in-laws have H2's and I make fun of each of them when ever I get the chance.

what she said