[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Please take a couple of minutes and visit this site.

Puddy

Hey everyone -

A good friend of mine has a 7 year-old grandson with autism. Jacob was diagnosed when he was 21 months old. The link below shows a touching video of this fine young man. The site contiributes money to selected charities based on the number of views. He has an extraordinary family supporting him. I know autism has touched the lives of fellow Huddlers as well.

I've copied a statement from the site to show what they are all about.

Thank you.

What kind of world do you want

How This Works

For all donations, whatkindofworlddoyouwant.com will distribute approximately 90% of money donated to the selected charities. This is determined primarily by the amount of views per charity and available funds. The 10% expense includes Revver.com's .01/view webhosting cost, California Community Foundation's 1.25% administrative expense and site maintenance. Contributions to the California Community Foundation represent irrevocable gifts subject to the legal and fiduciary control of the foundation's Board of Directors.

For videos which have received 30,000 or more views, whatkindofworlddoyouwant.com may elect to add a click through advertisement at the end of such videos to defray web hosting expenses. As our objective is to donate the most funds possible to our charities, this will eliminate substantial expenses incurred by revver's .01 per view charge on videos with millions of views.

whatkindofworlddoyouwant.com is the property of John Ondrasik and is administrated by John and the Five For Fighting management team at Jim Grant Management.

whatkindofworlddoyouwant.com has no paid staff or personnel.

Edited by Puddy

God bless 'em.

April 2 is Autism Awareness Day. Take the time to learn about it. If you don't know someone who is affected by it, chances are that you will.

That is the charity that the family has chosen. I have two friends personally affected by this developmental disorder. It's hard to fathom that 1 out of every 94 boys has autism. While there has been increased awareness in recent years, more needs to be done. It's truly heartbreaking that these great kids and their families have to deal with these issues.

That is the charity that the family has chosen. I have two friends personally affected by this developmental disorder. It's hard to fathom that 1 out of every 94 boys has autism. While there has been increased awareness in recent years, more needs to be done. It's truly heartbreaking that these great kids and their families have to deal with these issues.

My brother-in-law is twelve. He has autism. He has had many issues throughout his life. He has had a feeding tube for many years as he can not tolerate the sensation of many foods in his mouth. He has had many difficulties, and we will all continue to love and support him. His parents have gone through everything to get him help, and they will continue to do more.

I have two students in my classroom who are on the spectrum. I've had a few in years past, and I'm sure I'll get even more in the future. They are fascinating kids who need a lot of love and understanding.

Autism speaks has done a great job at getting the message out there. They are a wonderful organization to support.

Thanks Pud, nice video, hope he continues to get better.

I have a couple of questions that I probably shoudl know the answers to.

Does it mainly / only affect boys?

How come we didn't hear much about autism, 10+ years ago, is this a relatively new disorder? I do recall either or both of Jim Kelly's and Boomer Esiason's sons possibly having it and quite frankly I think that's the first I had heard of it back then.

Just curious.

How come we didn't hear much about autism, 10+ years ago, is this a relatively new disorder? I do recall either or both of Jim Kelly's and Boomer Esiason's sons possibly having it and quite frankly I think that's the first I had heard of it back then.

Just curious.

Here's some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism

I think this answers both of your questions:

with ASD averaging a 4.3:1 male-to-female ratio. The number of people known to have autism has increased dramatically since the 1980s, at least partly due to changes in diagnostic practice; the question of whether actual prevalence has increased is unresolved

Just curious.

Marinos son has it. Boomers son has Cystic fibrosis I believe

Jim Kelly's son: Hunter, who was diagnosed with Globoid-Cell Leukodystrophy (Krabbe disease) shortly after his birth on February 14, 1997. Hunter died as a result of this disease on August 5, 2005 at the age of eight.

Boomer Esiason's son: While at a 1993 Jets mini-camp, Esiason was notified that his two-year-old son, Gunnar, had to be taken to the hospital with breathing difficulties. Soon after, he was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis. Now 16, Gunnar is an extremely active teenager who undergoes daily treatments and takes medication. He is a quarterback on his school's football team(Friends Academy) In Locust Valley, New York.

Dan Marino's son: The Dan Marino Foundation, was established in 1992 by Marino and his wife, Claire, after their son, Michael, was diagnosed with autism. Presently, Marino lives with his wife, Claire, and six (four by birth, and two by adoption) children.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Just curious.

There are more boys who are diagnosed than girls at this time. There are three girls with autism in my building. Each of them are very different. One is in my classroom.

It is not a new disorder. The numbers are increasing. It's probably due to a combination of better detection and more children being affected. Why more children are being affected is the ten-billion-dollar question.

Edit to add:

CNN is focusing on autism for the entire day today. Check it out.

Edited by Egret

Marinos son has it. Boomers son has Cystic fibrosis I believe

You are correct, Boomer's son has CF. A close friend of mine, who's son has CF, actually got a call from Boomer himself because he raised quite a bit of money for his local chapter.

Jim Kelly's son: Hunter, who was diagnosed with Globoid-Cell Leukodystrophy (Krabbe disease) shortly after his birth on February 14, 1997. Hunter died as a result of this disease on August 5, 2005 at the age of eight.

Boomer Esiason's son: While at a 1993 Jets mini-camp, Esiason was notified that his two-year-old son, Gunnar, had to be taken to the hospital with breathing difficulties. Soon after, he was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis. Now 16, Gunnar is an extremely active teenager who undergoes daily treatments and takes medication. He is a quarterback on his school's football team(Friends Academy) In Locust Valley, New York.

Dan Marino's son: The Dan Marino Foundation, was established in 1992 by Marino and his wife, Claire, after their son, Michael, was diagnosed with autism. Presently, Marino lives with his wife, Claire, and six (four by birth, and two by adoption) children.

Rodney Peete's son has autism as well. I'm pretty sure his wife is more famous, Holly Robinson-Peete. They've been on CNN plenty being interviewed.

Nice video, Puddy. :wacko:

My 2 yr old grandson is being evaluated for autism (he doesn't talk yet) so I'm becoming more aware of what it takes to diagnose and treat autism. Dedicating a day (April 2nd) to autism awareness is a good idea.