[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For the smokers... again ...hoping this makes you think

Thews40

Something is wrong when alcohol is more legal than cigs. I'd rather have the person in the car next to me smoking down a Marlboro than chugging a Milwaukee's Best. Alcohol kills more innocent people in one day than second-hand smoke does in a decade.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something is wrong when alcohol is more legal than cigs. I'd rather have the person in the car next to me smoking down a Marlboro than chugging a Milwaukee's Best. Alcohol kills more innocent people in one day than second-hand smoke does in a decade.

It's more legal to drink and drive than it is to smoke and drive?

Alcohol kills more innocent people in one day than second-hand smoke does in a decade.

that is probably true. I think the health risks of incidental second hand smoke are ridiculously overstated by some, if they truly even exist at all. (note, I am talking about incidental second hand smoke, like if you walk into a slightly smokey bar a couple times a month -- obviously the risks are different for someone who lives with a smoker, or works in a smokey environment). I've always thought the second hand smoke argument behind smoking bans was really weak. the annoyance factor, though, is very real.

Thews, why all the fuss? OK, smoking is bad for you and causes cancer. but even in the article you linked...

Smokers are much more likely to develop lung cancer than nonsmokers — that has been a scientific truism for decades. But what about the 80% of smokers who don't develop lung cancer?

I understand people shouldn't smoke for health reasons. But, I think y'all were retarded to even start.

Oh, and best of luck to finally kick it this try. :wacko:

I wonder if cigarettes didn't exist until today would they be legalized. I'd bet money that no way in hell they would (if we had all the knowledge we do today about smoking). And I'd also bet that armed with that knowledge, it would seem absurd to even talk about legalizing it. As a matter of fact, I doubt any company would be able to market it enough to generate demand. What would be the big selling points?

I wonder if cigarettes didn't exist until today would they be legalized. I'd bet money that no way in hell they would (if we had all the knowledge we do today about smoking). And I'd also bet that armed with that knowledge, it would seem absurd to even talk about legalizing it. As a matter of fact, I doubt any company would be able to market it enough to generate demand. What would be the big selling points?

I agree that if they weren't already legal, there's no WAY booze and smokes would be legalized.

But they are.

Really, I just wish that if the various gov'ts are going to ban smoking in public places and sue tobacco companies, they'd at least stop the federal subsidies to tobacco farmers.

Thews, why all the fuss? OK, smoking is bad for you and causes cancer. but even in the article you linked...

I understand people shouldn't smoke for health reasons. But, I think y'all were retarded to even start.

Oh, and best of luck to finally kick it this try. :wacko:

The reactions in here by the smokers telling me to stop preaching to them are way off the mark. If you enjoy cigarettes and have no intention of quitting… good for you. My point wasn’t to tell you how to live your life. The first time I quit (when I was 24) it was after seeing a picture of a diseased lung in a doctor’s office. So if you want to know my true intent, it was geared towards the smoker who tries every new year to quit. That’s it… just a friendly nudge. The “Stop telling me how to live my life” retort is probably directed at all the holier than thou types that do come off that way. If my comment that you “enjoy” cigarettes and are not addicted to them pissed you off Sky… I’d apologize, but it wasn’t meant as a dig. Nicotine is a drug and is addicting. If you choose to use it, ok, I have my own addictions including Coors Light.

I guess spending a lot of time in a cancer ward brings home reality. My daughter’s friend had his leg amputated last Tuesday. It had nothing to do with smoking… but when I saw that picture linked to the article it was sort of a jarred memory of the picture I saw that convinced me to quit. Do what you want… it’s your life.

I think everyone has misunderstood Thews here. I don't see this as a recent ex-smoker preaching to those who still smoke. He's dealing with some very personal experiences with cancer, and is just letting other people that he cares about (us) know that when it hits, it hits hard.

ALBANY (WABC) -- New York's government leaders have agreed to boost the state cigarette tax by $1.25 per pack to create the nation's highest state cigarette tax, officials said Wednesday.

New York's $2.75-per-pack tax would jump ahead of New Jersey for the highest state tax in the nation. New York has been ranked the 16th highest with a tax of $1.50 tax per pack.

The average price of a pack of cigarettes is about $5.82 statewide, but there is an additional $1.50 New York City tax. That brings the total taxes on a pack of cigarettes for those who purchase in the city to $4.25 a pack.

My last cigarette was last night at around 9:30pm.

It's starting to piss me off.

Look out Fusion RFA!!! :wacko:

Done.

This is the second time I've quit. I'm usually a "suck it up and go cold turkey" guy, but I tried the Zyban stuff this time, and it was a snap. It made the physical withdrawal almost nothing. I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't think they can quit.

Breaking the psychological habit of lighting up is a completely separate thing which requires desire and effort though. But, at least it doesn't hurt.

Done.

This is the second time I've quit. I'm usually a "suck it up and go cold turkey" guy, but I tried the Zyban stuff this time, and it was a snap. It made the physical withdrawal almost nothing. I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't think they can quit.

Breaking the psychological habit of lighting up is a completely separate thing which requires desire and effort though. But, at least it doesn't hurt.

Congrats. Is Zyban the stuff that makes you nauseous if you smoke?

Congrats. Is Zyban the stuff that makes you nauseous if you smoke?

No no, it's just a repurposed anti-anxiety medication. After taking it for a few weeks it builds up in your system. The only side effect I noticed was that I didn't sleep as long on it.

But after a few weeks I realized that if I skipped a regular cig time, I didn't even notice. There was no physical reaction to it. So, the next day I just stopped, and that was it.