[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A Question for the Smokers

Grits and Shins

So you are aguing since everybody breaks rules it is okay. If that is your argument do you believe we should have ANY rules at all? I mean if everybody gets to choose which rules they wish to obey then in essence you have no rules.

I never said its ok. I said get over it. There is a difference.

If it bothers you that much pony up and tell them you dont think its right breaking this rule.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are potential consequences for each of those rules violations. Perhaps we have hit on it ... smokers disregard the No Smoking signs for a variety of reason that may include being rude, inconsiderate, illeterate, above the rules, safe in a group of people breaking the same rule, and they are outside afterall where rules don't have to be followed ... but in the end they do it because there are no negative consequences for their actions.

So, is your "Designated Smoking Quarantine" outside in the full sun/rain/cold? Is the garage, where I might point out, has concentrated ammounts of Carbon Monoxide from the cars engines even without the smokers, preferable to your "Smoking Quarantine"? If the answer to these questions is yes, then it is your companies fault for not providing for a respectable place for Smokers to enjoy thier breaks.

We actually have a little of this issue at my work. Theres no sign in the Garage that says No Smoking, but people go on the company website and bitch about the smokers by teh elevatorz!1!! anyway. You know what my work did? They built a canopy over the smoking area we have in the parking lot so thier quality employees (like moi') who enjoy smoking on thier breaks can do so in a respectful, safe and comfortable place. Being in HR, every employee is a resource, even the ones who chose to smoke. We dont want to lose them to a company who does provide these benefits to thier employees.

What ever happened to the days of the whiskey decanter and ashtray in your own office? Why is it illegal to smoke indoors. GFY I say.

So aside from throwing mud at me ... you are saying you believe the smokers that smoke in front of the No Smoking signs are unbelievably rude, selfish and inconsiderate. Any idea why that might be?

I think you mistook my sarcasm for non-sarcasm.

If that is your definition of dis-respectful or offensive then your constitution is too fragile.

This from a guy who started a thread complaining about people who flagrantly disobey a posted sign (gasp). Your constitution is armor clad +10.

I love it when a smoker takes a huge drag right before they walk into my office then blows the smoke out in my reception area.

Thanks a lot azzhole. :wacko:

Or same azzhole lights up right as they're opening the door. What? You think the smoke is magically going to follow you outside? :D

Edited by twiley

But as smokers on average take longer and more frequent breaks, are they not technically less of a resource than an employee who does not do the same?

I am sure if a non-smoker wants to go out for fresh air during the day they will allowed...whats fair is fair and if thats the case no they are equal resources.

Signs, signs, everywheres a sign

blocking out the scenery, breaking my mind

do this, don't do that

can't you read the sign?

The company I work for does not allow smoking and has designated smoking areas outside away from the entrances/exits. I am not interested in generating a discussion about the merits or evils of smoking.

So every time I cut through the garage to get to the cafeteria there are scads of smokers having a cigarette directly in front of the "No Smoking" signs.

So do these guys think the sign is not intended for them ... but for other smokers? Do you think they are illeterate? Inconsiderate? Both? How about you ... do you ignore the no smoking areas? If you do why?

Maybe I'm just different than everyone else. I must be. I wouldn't smoke where it says not to. If the sign says not to smoke then the slugs should move to where they can. I think that they are both illiterate AND inconsiderate. Time to move them on.

Do I sometimes speed ... yup.

Do I sometimes roll through the stop sigh ... yup

Do I realize I am breaking the rules when I do so ... yup

When I speed or roll through a stop sign am I do anything that might be construed as encroaching on somebody else's rights. No. I don't believe many would call a speeder or a person who rolls through a stop sign inconsiderate or rude.

Let me preface this by saying I am not a smoker. But do you people really think smokers are any more rude than any other group of people? People are a-holes. You get a group of them together that do the same thing and you have a group of a-holes.

You people? So we're a group now?

You people? So we're a group now?

Its REALLY quite simple.

you have smokers and non-smokers

you have baby killers and non-baby killers

you either have snipers present or you dont

you either agree with your preacher and stick around for 20 years or you disagree and leave.

When I speed or roll through a stop sign am I do anything that might be construed as encroaching on somebody else's rights. No. I don't believe many would call a speeder or a person who rolls through a stop sign inconsiderate or rude.

Says who? You?

What if I find that to be more bothersome or annoying that people smoking outdoors in a restricted area? What if you speeding causes me to have a panic attack?

Says who? You?

What if I find that to be more bothersome or annoying that people smoking outdoors in a restricted area? What if you speeding causes me to have a panic attack?

If somebody speeding causes you to have a panic attack then it is most probable that you should not be driving. There are a wide variety of conditions that a driver has to be prepared to handle the least of which is a another driver speeding.

If somebody speeding causes you to have a panic attack then it is most probable that you should not be driving. There are a wide variety of conditions that a driver has to be prepared to handle the least of which is a another driver speeding.

What about when a person in front of you has plenty of time to turn in front of oncoming traffic, sits there letting car after car go by, and then the light turns red when at least 4-5 cars could have turned? Can I get highly upset at that?

Always a woman too..........

Why should I have to be prepared to handle speeding? It is against the rules.

Why shouldnt you be prepared to handle against smokers smoking in a non smoking section.

What's that supposed to mean?

Obama was a smoker. Maybe he thinks it leads to being an abortion doctor or getting abortions. I rhink he's trying to bring up Obama's former pastor again.

Who knows with Moneymakers?

I think that's kind of rough. The place allows smoking 6 out of 7 days. It's reasonable for the person to not realize that they can't smoke all of a sudden. If they put it out and don't understand, that seems like a normal respose. (And, yes, I'm sure they have a sign indicating that it's a non-smoking day, but who reads signs when they go into a bar?)

im not complaining about them being ignorant of the rule, im talking about them taking one more drag after they have been informed.

Why should I have to be prepared to handle speeding? It is against the rules.

Why shouldnt you be prepared to handle against smokers smoking in a non smoking section.

:wacko:

As a driver you have to be prepared to handle a slew of unexpected events... it is the nature of driving. If a child dashes out in front of your car unexpectedly I presume you will run the child over because it was against the rules for him to be in the street? If the car in front of you blows a tire you won't alter your speed? Do you drive the speed limit on ice? If the truck in front of you loses its load will this cause you to alter your behavior even though the truck probably lost its load because it was not sufficiently tied down.

Please explain how that contrasts to a group of cigarette smokers standing in a high traffic area in which they are prohibited to smoke.

Boy, you really area about as selfish, narrow-minded inconsiderate boob as there is.

Do you think there might be an elderly person on the road that might appreciate not being scared to death by someone speeding by them? As a pedestrian crossing the street, I shouldn't have to worry that some nitwit coasts through a stop sign because he feels "he is a safe driver" and takes out my kid.

People have the right to feel safe driving our roads, and crossing the street. People who like you who disregard road-safety signs infringe on those rights. period.

I think you are both inconsiderate and rude, and your post proved me correct.

Remind to blow a nice lung full of Parliament in your face should I ever have the displeasure of meeting you.

Are you illiterate, inconsiderate..Or Both?