[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone have experience with Pilonidal Cysts?

kpholmes

...because apparently I have one... :wacko::D

Painful little bump right above my tailbone, Doc says I caught it very early.

I'm on antibiotics now to keep it from getting infected, and am scheduling a surgery for the near future.

Anyone have experience with these fun little things?

Not joking around here as I wouldn't do that, but is it basically like you have 3 ass cheeks?

:D

No.

Right above the crack there's a bump about the size of a nickel. It's not visible and feels like there's a muscle knot there.

Degree of size and severity will vary for each person though, and also depends on how early on or late it is noticed.

Thanks for your educated input though, it's appreciated... :wacko:

Edited by kpholmes

Guest Chappy
:wacko:

No.

Right above the crack there's a bump about the size of a nickel. It's not visible and feels like there's a muscle knot there.

Degree of size and severity will vary for each person though, and also depends on how early on or late it is noticed.

Thanks for your educated input though, it's appreciated... :rollseyes:

Just curious as I thought I knew a girl that had one. Sorry to hear about it and hope everything goes smoothly as you get it taken care of.

I have it kp. I didn't know, it got infected very badly while I was in Europe but I declined surgery there. Got back and saw one of the top docs in the country who is based in Newport. Been a couple years now and I have not bothered with the surgery. Every so often I feel it acting up, especially if I have been sitting in a weird spot. I know I will have to schedule the surgery sooner or later.

Apaprently it is not that uncommon.

Apaprently it is not that uncommon.

Yea, that's what I've been finding too.

Most guys just act like guys about it and choose to ignore it.

It can get ridiculously bad though if you ignore it too long and allow it to get infected repetitively...

It can get ridiculously bad though if you ignore it too long and allow it to get infected repetitively...

In HS, a friend of mine had one I think. He picked at it, got some goo to come out, then it swelled more. His mom found blood on his underwear, smacked him and took him off to the doc. The doc said if it had gotten infected, it could have affected his whole spinal cord and left him paralyzed. :wacko: I never knew if that story was true or not (you had to know the guy). Maybe it was??? :D

Exactly what happened to me, I ignored it. It hurt a little but wasn't anything I couldn't handle. Then it got so bad that I couldn't even bend over to pick something up. I had to fall to my knees to pick something up on the floor. Man, it sucked big time. Was wondering why they didn't just cut the thing out. Mine was lanced, and the doc told me it could come back. That was over 20 years ago and, although sometimes it may get a tad uncomfortable, nothing major. Good luck with yours, but do get it taken care of as it was pure hell when I waited too long.

Had one when I was 16. It got very large and started to create little s.ores (forgot about the filter) on my skin. My mom found some spots of blood on my undies and took me to the doc. Had to have surgery to get rid of it. It was apparently too large to just lance or anything. Had a massive canyon just beneath my tailbone and above my anus. Doctor said it would have to heal as an open wound because they couldn't sew it up due to increased possibility of infection. Fun 2 months having a giant pad on your ass during high school. Wiping was also an adventure!

That was roughly 15 years ago and it hasn't come back (that I've noticed).

Good luck!

Edited by BiggieFries

kp, we remove a lot of them at work... they are very common. The worst part of them, besides the pain, is that they can apparently become infected and/or grow into a fistula tract. The surgery is a very simple one, and if I had to have one done myself, I wouldn't be stressing it-- just to put it into some perspective, it should only take about 20-30 minutes of actual surgery time. Obviously any surgery YOU have to have, makes you worry a lot more than one somebody else has to have.

I have heard that they are painful as hell post-operatively, though. So, make sure you get a good prescription for post-op pain management covered with your surgeon.

I had one lanced about eight years ago, I still have the scar if you want to see it :wacko: I had another one this fall, and the antibiotics took care of it. Doc said it is incapsulated and just keep an eye on it really nothing he could do at the time. He said the one thing to remember is hygene back there and don't get constipated. I had just come back from deer hunting for a week and drinking lots of fluids was going on just not a lot of water. So the lack of a good shower and lots of booze and dehydration brought it on. I am a firm believer in the Cottonelle wet wipes :D they work great to keep things clean and get rid of the tp lint that causes some of these problems.

Just to give everyone a fun update...

(Some of this is fairly graphic involving ruptures, draining of puss, and things like that - Read at your own risk)

It started to get very sore and sensitive yesterday, and I called the nurse at my doctors office and asked what I should do about it. She said to take lots of warm baths to try to get it to drain on its own, otherwise I'd have to come in on Monday and have it drained.

Let me start by saying, I'm a a tasty morsel when it comes to knives, needles and pain; So I prayed a million times it would start draining on it's own.

It was so painful I couldn't sleep at all last night. I didn't want to go to the ER, as I've heard they'll just lance it and overall just aren't as considerate towards it as any regular doc would be.

I was in excruciating pain all day today, just shifting positions laying on the couch and waiting for Monday so I could get it drained. It got to the point where I couldn't sit, lay or stand in any position too long because it hurt so bad. So I finally called over to the ER to see what they have to say (Again, being a wuss and avoiding just having it done) and they told me if it hurt bad enough, to just come in and they would lance it...

So I sat down on the computer and read more about lancing and other people experiences... half the people said lancing hurt terribly, but there was instant relief, and the other half said they toughed it out until it ruptured and drained on it's own.

After reading of all the painful experiences of lancing, I decided I was feeling better already and was just going to wait it out... so I went into the bathroom and started some bath water, got undressed, and guess what? While I was reading about whether to get it lanced or not, it ruptured. So I did my best to drain it (amazingly painful process), then jumped in the bath for awhile.

While I wasn't able to drain all of it (because of the sheer pain towards the end), I'm already feeling a hundred times better.

Still will go in on monday to have the Doc take a look, and still have to plan the surgery however....

My advice to anyone who thinks they might have a zit right above their crack - go into the doctor immediately and try to avoid going through all this...

Thanks to everyone for the advice and support, hopefully this endeavor will be over soon for me! :wacko:

Just to give everyone a fun update...

(Some of this is fairly graphic involving ruptures, draining of puss, and things like that - Read at your own risk)

It started to get very sore and sensitive yesterday, and I called the nurse at my doctors office and asked what I should do about it. She said to take lots of warm baths to try to get it to drain on its own, otherwise I'd have to come in on Monday and have it drained.

Let me start by saying, I'm a a tasty morsel when it comes to knives, needles and pain; So I prayed a million times it would start draining on it's own.

It was so painful I couldn't sleep at all last night. I didn't want to go to the ER, as I've heard they'll just lance it and overall just aren't as considerate towards it as any regular doc would be.

I was in excruciating pain all day today, just shifting positions laying on the couch and waiting for Monday so I could get it drained. It got to the point where I couldn't sit, lay or stand in any position too long because it hurt so bad. So I finally called over to the ER to see what they have to say (Again, being a wuss and avoiding just having it done) and they told me if it hurt bad enough, to just come in and they would lance it...

So I sat down on the computer and read more about lancing and other people experiences... half the people said lancing hurt terribly, but there was instant relief, and the other half said they toughed it out until it ruptured and drained on it's own.

After reading of all the painful experiences of lancing, I decided I was feeling better already and was just going to wait it out... so I went into the bathroom and started some bath water, got undressed, and guess what? While I was reading about whether to get it lanced or not, it ruptured. So I did my best to drain it (amazingly painful process), then jumped in the bath for awhile.

While I wasn't able to drain all of it (because of the sheer pain towards the end), I'm already feeling a hundred times better.

Still will go in on monday to have the Doc take a look, and still have to plan the surgery however....

My advice to anyone who thinks they might have a zit right above their crack - go into the doctor immediately and try to avoid going through all this...

Thanks to everyone for the advice and support, hopefully this endeavor will be over soon for me! :D

:wacko: Sounds like you waited too long. It hurt like hell didn't it? Come Monday, it'll be alright. Come Monday, you'll be squeezing your cheeks tight....

Good luck!

:wacko: Sounds like you waited too long. It hurt like hell didn't it? Come Monday, it'll be alright. Come Monday, you'll be squeezing your cheeks tight....

Good luck!

It went from tolerable to extremely painful in two days... definitely caught me offguard.

Good info here.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and support, hopefully this endeavor will be over soon for me! :wacko:

I'm hopin' you're right!! :D

kp -

Your experience is what happened to me in Europe. Ithought I had broken my tailbone or something. Toughed it out for a few days then finally went in to an emergency care facility in England. THey told me it wasn't quite ready to be lanced, and to come back the next day (the day that I had a flight back to Ireland). Well, it popped that night in my sleep. Tried draining a bit more in the shower and nearly passed out. Made it back to Ireland, had to go back to doc there who had me go to ER where they wanted me to go in for surgery then. I passed on that as it would have been a minimum 2 weeks before I could fly back to the US, possibly longer, so I toughed it out and made it back to the US. THen, as noted above, saw a doc down here, passed on the surgery, but I will need to have it taken care of sooner than later as my job is mostly sitting at a desk so it is easy to irritate the area.