[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest Guitar Riffs

Ursa Majoris

Here's a poll to get a music discussion going. Students at London's guitar schools have voted for their top 25 guitar riffs of all time - results below. I guess this doesn't mean complexity or anything but originality and recognition, maybe? Interesting also to look at the average age of the songs.

Discuss.

Deep Purple's Smoke On The Water voted top guitar riff

Apr 3 2008

THE guitar riff on Deep Purple's Smoke On The Water has been voted the greatest of all time.

Ritchie Blackmore's iconic four-note tune was followed by Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit and Walk This Way by Aerosmith.

They topped a poll of the top 25 guitar riffs by London's Tech Music Schools to coincide with their 25th anniversary celebrations.

Most of the riffs in the list were written more than 20 years ago, with 16 written in the US and seven in the UK.

Expert John Wheatcroft said: "A quick look around any record shop proves that musical quality lasts."

TOP 25

1 Smoke On The Water Deep Purple (1973)

2 Smells Like Teen Spirit Nirvana (1991)

3 Walk This Way Aerosmith (1975)

4 Purple Haze Jimi Hendrix (1967)

5 Sweet Child O Mine Guns N Roses (1987)

6 Paradise City Guns N Roses (1987)

7 Ace Of Spades Motorhead (1980)

8 Enter Sandman Metallica (1991)

9 Under The Bridge Red Hot Chilli Peppers (1992)

10 Welcome To The Jungle Guns N Roses (1987)

11 Run To The Hills Iron Maiden (1982)

12 Walk Pantera (1992)

13 Johnny B Goode Chuck Berry (1958)

14 Back In Black AC/DC (1980)

15 Immigrant Song Led Zeppelin (1970)

16 Wake Up Rage Against The Machine (1992)

17 Highway to Hell AC/DC (1979)

18 My Generation The Who (1965)

19 7 Nation Army The White Stripes (2003)

20 Born To Be Wild Steppenwolf (1968)

21 Give It Away Red Hot Chilli Peppers (1991)

22 Paranoid Black Sabbath (1970)

23 Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) Jimi Hendrix (1967)

24 Eye Of The Tiger Survivor (1982)

25 Money For Nothing Dire Straits (1984)

Oh.....the presence of Aerowank at #3 casts serious doubt on the legitimacy of this poll. :wacko:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

crank up the start of 'ain't talkin' bout love' ... gotta be top 10.

no argument with smoke on the water. not exactly up there in terms of complexity, but when it's the first riff that most rock guitarists learn, i'd say it has worked its way to the top.

don't like the led representation? what about whole lotta love, black dog, or kashmir?

I dare anyone to put on Paranoid by Sabbath and point out the riff in that tune. Same with My Generation. Both are good tunes, but riff? :wacko:

I dare anyone to put on Paranoid by Sabbath and point out the riff in that tune. Same with My Generation. Both are good tunes, but riff? :wacko:

The riff in Paranoid is the opening bars, just as recognizable as Purple's Smoke. I think this poll is pointing at recognition more than anything else.

I guess I would put Iron Man in the same category as Smoke on the Water. Its more of a chord progression though. Very simple but memorable. Ill have more later but as stated in my Thread earlier..Emminence Front by the Who has a great riff.

I just assumed "satisfaction" was going to be #1...not even top 25? 2 guns n roses songs and no rolling stones. nuff said about that list. :wacko:

Good call. Good case to be made for Jumpin' Jack Flash and Paint It Black too.

My Favorite Guitar player in terms of Riffs is hands down Jimmy Page.

FackinA, bro.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was THIS

Zeppelin is on there once, yet GnR and RHCP are both on there twice? I spit on this list.

In this world of emo, rap, and smooth jazz, Jimmy Page holds the key which can save us all.

FackinA, bro.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was THIS

Zeppelin is on there once, yet GnR and RHCP are both on there twice? I spit on this list.

In this world of emo, rap, and smooth jazz, Jimmy Page holds the key which can save us all.

:wacko: they are on there THREE times and all are in the top ten

Oh.....the presence of Aerowank at #3 casts serious doubt on the legitimacy of this poll. :wacko:

3 Guns and Roses in the Top 10 and Nirvana at #2 in any poll casts serious doubt on the legitimacy of this poll. :D

I'll believe this poll if it were the Top 25 riffs of the early 90's. :D

Edited by TimC

This list is just terrible. Nirvana at #2? C'mon, credibility lost right there. Nuff said.

I know. They should be #1. AND they're the only grunge group on the list! Where's Soundgarden? Smashing Pumpkins? Alice in Chains? Pearl Jam?!?

The poll might suck but it makes for a great thread so we can throw out some good stuff and maybe check out a few tunes we werent familiar with

Eddie Van Halen is not finding his way into the history books the way he was expected to in their prime. I remember growing up it was supposed to be Jimi Hendrix, then Eddie. . .that was it, that was the list.

Ironman really should be on this list.

Oh, and Sweet Child is the epitome of ghey. . . get that weak stuff outta here.

And Red Hot Chili Peppers? Jeebus, just slap some crap U2 on this list and call it the Gay Rock.

I will defend John Frusciante to the death, but Under the Bridge is maybe the weakest song they ever wrote. He's written maybe 100 better riffs than that. Check out Hump De Bump from the last album. Now THAT'S a riff.