[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steve McNair retires

justin

From the Baltimore Sun:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...0,7309031.story

McNair to retire

Ravens QB will announce decision at 1 p.m. news conference

April 17, 2008

Ravens quarterback Steve McNair will announce his retirement from the NFL at a 1 p.m. news conference today, according to a statement released by the team.

Joining McNair at the news conference will be coach John Harbaugh, general manager Ozzie Newsome, wide receiver Derrick Mason and cornerback Samari Rolle.

Not sure where this leaves the Ravens. They'll likely draft a QB in the first two rounds.

Boller is a big question mark. Unsubstantiated, but I heard through a friend that he put his house up for sale - not that that neccesarily means anything with regards to his standing on the team.

Troy Smith could be the starter on opening day.

First year with a new coach is a perfect time to grab a new franchise quarterback. This makes the draft a little more interesting. Boller had his moments last year but his career has never remotely met expectations. No way a new coach wants to be saddled with a past mistake.

He should have retired after his Super Bowl loss to Kurt Warner and the Rams. He hasn't really been 100% since. He's like the old Ford that you have had since 1975, and you just can't part with it so you keep dropping new trannys and head gaskets in it, until your wife threatens divorce unless you break down and buy a new truck...

Farewell Steve.

:wacko:

He should have retired after his Super Bowl loss to Kurt Warner and the Rams. He hasn't really been 100% since. He's like the old Ford that you have had since 1975, and you just can't part with it so you keep dropping new trannys and head gaskets in it, until your wife threatens divorce unless you break down and buy a new truck...

Farewell Steve.

:wacko:

Yep.

He won't make it.

A+ for toughness and heart, but the numbers just aren't there compared to other QBs.

+1

No one tried harder but I think the lack of a ring hurts him even though his numbers compare favorably to Tarkenton.

A+ for toughness and heart

I'd give him more like a B- for toughness, since he was constantly getting hurt during the latter half of his career. That said, he played though most of the nagging injuries and had the mentality of a warrior. Gotta respect a guy like that.

So, is the next stop the HOF for McNair or not?

It may be, but I don't think he's a first ballot.

+1

No one tried harder but I think the lack of a ring hurts him even though his numbers compare favorably to Tarkenton.

Meh, the numbers don't mean that much. Tarkenton was putting up those numbers in a different era... McNair was run of the mill numbers wise amongst other current QB's... He just managed to hang around longer than most.

I'd give him more like a B- for toughness, since he was constantly getting hurt during the latter half of his career. That said, he played though most of the nagging injuries and had the mentality of a warrior. Gotta respect a guy like that.

He was constantly getting hurt and missed 29 starts from 1997-2007. For every time someone says he's tough, they should also say that he was Mr.Glass from unbreakable as well...

McNair could make the HOF, but I agree not as an early ballot. I think that one of the biggest positives that he has going for him was that, aside from the stats, he was one of the great QBs of his playing era. In addition, while his passing statistics don't match the past five QB HOF inductees, his rushing statistics differentiate him from other great QBs.

Aside from Favre, what other QBs could be inducted in the HOF from 2012-2016? Bledsoe?

I think that one of the biggest positives that he has going for him was that, aside from the stats, he was one of the great good QBs of his playing era.

Very few people considered McNair a "great" QB.

In addition, while his passing statistics don't match the past five QB HOF inductees, his rushing statistics differentiate him from other great QBs.

Aside from Favre, what other QBs could be inducted in the HOF from 2012-2016? Bledsoe?

You're not going to get into the HOF as a QB with average (overall) career passing stats. And the HOF isn't going to induct him just because there aren't any other guys who would be eligible over that five-year window.

Aside from sharing a co-MVP and playing in a Super Bowl, McNair doesn't have much going for him. He developed into a really good passer in '01 and played at a high level through '03... but then injuries and age pretty much killed his career. He was a good scrambling QB in the late '90s and an efficient passer, but his numbers weren't exactly eye-popping. Remember that the standard for a "scrambling" HOF QB is guys like Elway, Young, Tarkenton, etc. McNair had a good career, but he just doesn't match up to those guys.

McNair could make the HOF, but I agree not as an early ballot. I think that one of the biggest positives that he has going for him was that, aside from the stats, he was one of the great QBs of his playing era. In addition, while his passing statistics don't match the past five QB HOF inductees, his rushing statistics differentiate him from other great QBs.

If you're allowing McNair in, then Randall Cunningham should go in ahead of him. Cunningham Threw for 33 more touchdowns and 1338 more rushing yards...

Very few people considered McNair a "great" QB.

You're not going to get into the HOF as a QB with average (overall) career passing stats. And the HOF isn't going to induct him just because there aren't any other guys who would be eligible over that five-year window.

Aside from sharing a co-MVP and playing in a Super Bowl, McNair doesn't have much going for him. He developed into a really good passer in '01 and played at a high level through '03... but then injuries and age pretty much killed his career. He was a good scrambling QB in the late '90s and an efficient passer, but his numbers weren't exactly eye-popping. Remember that the standard for a "scrambling" HOF QB is guys like Elway, Young, Tarkenton, etc. McNair had a good career, but he just doesn't match up to those guys.

Extremely well said.