[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone know anything about Central Air Units?

Guest Chappy

Guest Chappy

I turned on my outside AC unit and after a little while being on the lines going from the unit into the house had a layer of ice about a 1/2 inch thick on them and no cool/cold air was blowing through the vents inside the house. I don't know if this helps but the fan inside the unit was blowing.

What could be causing this?

Bad Compressor? Needs freon? ???

Thanks for the help.

Guest Chappy
You may have a leak in the line that caused the coil to freeze

Thanks Whomp. That is one of my fears as I just read up a little about it. I found some info and here's part of what I read-

heat pump, Air conditioning coil ice or icing and freezing

is usually caused by a lack of refrigerant,

due to a refrigerant leak or leaking

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get lots and lots of inquiries about air conditioners and heat pumps icing up the indoor coils and the large line to the unit in the Air Conditioning or Cooling mode.

This is usually caused by a lack of refrigerant in the system due to a chronic leak. The reason that the coils form ice is that when the system is short on charge part of the coil runs very cold and ice starts to grow. Once the ice starts to grow it is in insulator and keeps on growing until the coil and the refrigerant lines are one block of ice. If the coil is very dirty then the ice will form out to the outside unit (cooling mode) very quickly.

The solution is to clean the coil or replace it (see below). A good cleaner is Acti-Klean by Virginia-KMP that works with the condensate water and doesn't require rinsing.

If this happens continuing to run the equipment will damage the compressor and not provide any cooling. If this was caused by running the system on a cold night, the best way to remove the ice is to leave the indoor fan on and let the ice melt (expect a mess).

I have had a slow leak in my line for 4 years. Every year my AC guy gives us a charge in late may and it lasts me until the end of the summer.

Guest Chappy
I have had a slow leak in my line for 4 years. Every year my AC guy gives us a charge in late may and it lasts me until the end of the summer.

Now that I think about it, my AC guy came out last year and charged me up and this is the first time I've turned it on and it was a no go. I wonder if I have the same issue and how expensive it would be to get a leak/s fixed and recharged?

I hope that's all it is as I feared something more significant.

Edited by Chappy

Now that I think about it, my AC guy came out last year and charged me up and this is the first time I've turned it on and it was a no go. I wonder if I have the same issue and how expensive it would be to get a leak/s fixed and recharged?

I hope that's all it is as I feared something more significant.

I know that for a car, you can get some...well it is called R134A. I just had to put some in my van....and I bought some with stop leak in it. If it works great....if not :wacko: . Maybe there is something similiar for your home unit. However, you can have some dye put in the freon to locate the leak.

Guest Chappy
I know that for a car, you can get some...well it is called R134A. I just had to put some in my van....and I bought some with stop leak in it. If it works great....if not :wacko: . Maybe there is something similiar for your home unit. However, you can have some dye put in the freon to locate the leak.

Thanks for the input. The AC guy (cool dude, pun intended, hooks me up) will be coming out tomorrow and I just hope it's minor 1) out of refrigeration and needs freon/recharging or 2) a small leak that can be easily and inexpensively fixed and recharged. I don't want to hear the compressor's shot or the whole unit needs to be replaced.

It always helps to have a guy in the biz. A very good friend of mine works in HVAC and takes care of that stuff for me. When we bought our house our line was frozen the first spring, turns out they never filled the freon and it has been fine ever since. May Irish eyes smile upon you and have the same luck I had :wacko:

Legally an AC guy cannot put freon in a system if he knows there is a leak. For environmental reasons.

You either have a leak in your outside unit or your coil inside. You will more than likely have to pay for a leak search, unless your equipment is old enough that it makes sense to replace. If the leak is in the indoor coil, you will be replacing the coil. Probably about $750-$1000.

If it's outside, who knows. Could be anywhere. If your equipment is 15 years or older, may be time to consider replacement.

Legally an AC guy cannot put freon in a system if he knows there is a leak. For environmental reasons.

F*cking Whomper. :shakeshead: Pollutes the environment and mows his lawn at midnight.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Guest Chappy

You either have a leak in your outside unit or your coil inside. You will more than likely have to pay for a leak search, unless your equipment is old enough that it makes sense to replace. If the leak is in the indoor coil, you will be replacing the coil. Probably about $750-$1000.

If it's outside, who knows. Could be anywhere. If your equipment is 15 years or older, may be time to consider replacement.

The Unit is not more than about 5 years old. I know we're talking alot about a possible leak, however, is it possible that I'm just out of freon and need it charged? How long does freon normally last (I'm sure it varies based on usage-but just ballpark)?

The Unit is not more than about 5 years old. I know we're talking alot about a possible leak, however, is it possible that I'm just out of freon and need it charged? How long does freon normally last (I'm sure it varies based on usage-but just ballpark)?

If you are out of freon you have a leak. Freon stays in the system until there is a leak. You cannot just "use it up".

Guest Chappy
If you are out of freon you have a leak. Freon stays in the system until there is a leak. You cannot just "use it up".

What I meant was how long is the freon useful so that you're getting cold air in the house? Therefore, needing the system to be recharged. Could that cause the ice?

I know I posted what I read above, however, since you are an expert in this area, what are the reasons the line would form a layer of ice around it?

Edited by Chappy

Guest Chappy
Check your A-Coil. It is in the blower assembly inside the house. You have to clean it every year.

Also hose the outside coil every year as well.

I hose the outside unit several times a year to keep dust and other crap off it. However, I've never touched or even seen the inside coil. Is it difficult to get to, or just a matter of removing a couple screws? The AC guy is coming today, so I might as well just hold off trying to play repairman.

Edited by Chappy

I hose the outside unit several times a year to keep dust and other crap off it. However, I've never touched or even seen the inside coil. Is it difficult to get to, or just a matter of removing a couple screws. The AC guy is coming today, so I might as well just hold off trying to play repairman.

Have him show it to you. You have to take off the plate (a few screws), then, if you are lucky, you have room to slide it out to clean. Otherwise, you have to reach in and clean it. It is shaped like the letter "A" without a crossbar and is as wide as your blower unit. All I've owned have been at the top of the unit.

That explains the 3 eyed squirrels on my block

Guest Chappy
Have him show it to you. You have to take off the plate (a few screws), then, if you are lucky, you have room to slide it out to clean. Otherwise, you have to reach in and clean it. It is shaped like the letter "A" without a crossbar and is as wide as your blower unit. All I've owned have been at the top of the unit.

Excellent! Thanks, I'll mention it to him.

Unless it's in the plenum. (sheetmetal)

Then you would have to cut the sheetmetal. Not something I would recommend.