[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mom arrested tor leaving infant in hot car...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Far be it from me to defend a criminal and all....but I do have to ask one question:

What exactly is "Aggravated Child Abuse"?

Leaving a kid alone in a parked car for 15 minutes is dumb, that's for certain. It's not beating the kid with a wooden spoon, though...

An assistant principal (I think) at a school here in town did this last year with her sleeping 2-year old.....found her dead in the afternoon. It was the worst story I ever remember hearing. I really couldn't even watch it on the news. It was a "husband usually takes the kid to daycare" situation. Inexusable, in my opinion, but then no judgement I would support is ever gonna be any worse for that lady (and her family) anyway.

Leaving a kid alone in a parked car for 15 minutes is dumb, that's for certain. It's not beating the kid with a wooden spoon, though...

How does it feel when you get in your car after it's been parked in the sun? I know sometimes I have to get in to roll down all of the windows and let the intense heat out before i can drive away. The infant was helpless not able to call mom on her cell and let her know "Mom, I'm hot, can you please come and get me?" Not able to roll down any windows. Not able to avoid a potential kidnapper. Whatever the woman gets, she deserves.

How does it feel when you get in your car after it's been parked in the sun? I know sometimes I have to get in to roll down all of the windows and let the intense heat out before i can drive away. The infant was helpless not able to call mom on her cell and let her know "Mom, I'm hot, can you please come and get me?" Not able to roll down any windows. Not able to avoid a potential kidnapper. Whatever the woman gets, she deserves.

I thought I might get this kind of response.

What I am asking is: What is "Aggravated Child Abuse"

Feel free to espouse about what a criminal she is. I am not saying she is or isn't. I am merely saying that "Aggravated Child Abuse" sounds much more like whapping a kid around mercilessly, or not feeding them for a week, or leaving them in dirty diapers for days, etc.. So I am asking if someone knows what it means.

What it sounds like to me is that this is a case of neglect. 15 minutes with the windows cracked....not a good idea. "Abuse" has a much more criminally active meaning. So I would hope one of the Huddle lawyers could clarify.

EDIT TO ADD: And for my part, I have never left my car with the windows cracked 2 inches for 15 minutes and come back to find it intolerably hot. Again, I'm not defending her actions. I'm just trying to make sense of the charge.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

What exactly is "Aggravated Child Abuse"?

This is Florida:

DEFINITIONS.--For purposes of this section:18 (a) "Aggravated child abuse" occurs when a person:

19 1. Commits aggravated battery on a child;

20 2. Willfully tortures, maliciously punishes, or willfully

21 and unlawfully cages a child; or

22 3. Knowingly or willfully abuses a child and in so doing

23 causes great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent

24 disfigurement to the child.

I imagine that most states say the same thing.

This is Florida:

DEFINITIONS.--For purposes of this section:18 (a) "Aggravated child abuse" occurs when a person:

21 and unlawfully cages a child; or

Thanks Sky!

So now, I am seriously asking....is this leaving the child for 15 minutes in the car with the windows cracked (again, very dumb and obviously neglectful) worthy of a count of felonious* aggravated child abuse? Was the child "caged"?

*the article does not state if this is a felony or misdemeanor she is charged with, but "Aggravated Child Abuse" sounds pretty bad...

Before I get lambasted for asking...

1) She definitely should have not done what she did. It was brainless, neglectful, a poor choice, and the wrong thing to do.

2) I have no issue with the involvment of authorities, in particular child services to help determine if this woman has a pattern of dangerously neglectful behavior

3) If punishment is deserved based on the act and any ensuing investigation, I am all for it.

The heat / danger aspect of it is a ridiculously dumb thing to do but IMO just leaving a 2 year old in a parking lot even in perfect temperature conditions is extremely neglectful and careless. This woman is an idiot

The heat / danger aspect of it is a ridiculously dumb thing to do but IMO just leaving a 2 year old in a parking lot even in perfect temperature conditions is extremely neglectful and careless. This woman is an idiot

I agree that it should not be done.

The only reason I am engaging this topic is.....

How many of us were left in the locked car for a few minutes as kids while their mom ran into...say...a convenience store or a dry cleaner, or other such errand.

I know I was. Often.

I don't think my mom should have gone to jail. I don't think she should be a felon. I don't think I should have been taken away from her and raised in foster care over this. I think my life would be a mess and easily 100x worse if this series of events had followed my mom leaving me in a car for a few minutes while she went and bought me a juice...or did whatever she did for those few minutes.

And so knowing that these things happened to me as a kid, and even realizing that it might not have been the best choice by my mom, I look at people's reactions to these situations and am a little bewildered by them. She didn't beat the kid. She didn't refuse it food. She didn't let it die because she refused it medical care. She left it alone in the car for a few minutes, probably hoping to not wake the baby up. Way dumb. But take the kids away criminal?

Ask yourself....did your mom ever leave you in the car as a kid? Should she have gone to jail for it?

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Whether it is hot or not. In fact, no matter what the weather.... one does not leave a 2 year old, or any child, in a car alone. 15 minutes, 5 minutes... or whatever.... you, as an adult, have the total responsibility for that childs welfare and you shouldn't be placing the child in a dangerous situation.

How many of us were left in the locked car for a few minutes as kids while their mom ran into...say...a convenience store or a dry cleaner, or other such errand.

I know I was. Often.

I don't think my mom should have gone to jail. I don't think she should be a felon. I don't think I should have been taken away from her and raised in foster care over this. I think my life would be a mess and easily 100x worse if this series of events had followed my mom leaving me in a car for a few minutes while she went and bought me a juice...or did whatever she did for those few minutes.

And so knowing that these things happened to me as a kid, and even realizing that it might not have been the best choice by my mom, I look at people's reactions to these situations and am a little bewildered by them. She didn't beat the kid. She didn't refuse it food. She didn't let it die because she refused it medical care. She left it alone in the car for a few minutes, probably hoping to not wake the baby up. Way dumb. But take the kids away criminal?

Ask yourself....did your mom ever leave you in the car as a kid? Should she have gone to jail for it?

Where you 2 when this took place ?

No she didn't. And we, my wife and I, never left ours in the car either. Just bad form all the way around.

:wacko: I am not saying it is good form. Indeed I agree that it is bad form, but I also am trying to point out that I think the reaction to it by most people somewhat forgets events from people's own childhood.

Definitely a bad idea. I don't think I have said anything that would show I think otherwise.

I know I was. Often.

Running in to 7-11 to grab a pack of cigs in Minnesota is one thing. Running into Best Buy then Target in hot ass South Florida in the middle of the day is clear abuse.

Running in to 7-11 to grab a pack of cigs in Minnesota is one thing. Running into Best Buy then Target in hot ass South Florida in the middle of the day is clear abuse.

The article does state that the child was alone for approximately 15 minutes. a few minutes more than buying a pack of smokes at a convenience store to be sure, but then it doesn't sound like she was TV shopping either.