[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mom arrested tor leaving infant in hot car...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many of us were left in the locked car for a few minutes as kids while their mom ran into...say...a convenience store or a dry cleaner, or other such errand.

I know I was. Often.

Ask yourself....did your mom ever leave you in the car as a kid? Should she have gone to jail for it?

I was too. But I wasn't two years old. And I was also beat when I mis behaved. But these days you can be put in jail for beating your kids. Just as you can be put in jail for leaving your kids in the car. She went to 2 different stores and left a helpless 2 year old in a hot car that could have also been kidnapped. The fact that she is being charged with a felony is not the least bit surprising, nor do I disagree with it.

In the summertime, after my Dad would leave me in the car while he grabbed his pack of smokes, he'd light one up and turn the vent on hot with the windows rolled up. He said one day I'd understand why he did it. I'm still waiting to.

:wacko: I am not saying it is good form. Indeed I agree that it is bad form, but I also am trying to point out that I think the reaction to it by most people somewhat forgets events from people's own childhood.

Definitely a bad idea. I don't think I have said anything that would show I think otherwise.

You haven't. All along you have agreed that it was a bad thing to do. From what I gather is that you have a problem with the harsh judgement.

I always have a knee jerk reaction to abuse of children. I expect harsh punishment. In fact, I demand harsh punishment when it comes to kids that are unable to defend themselves against abuse of any sort. And with the amount of publicity that has been generated the last few years about leaving kids in cars and them dying, I would expect very harsh punishment for this particular lady who obviously does not pay attention.

I was too. But I wasn't two years old. And I was also beat when I mis behaved. But these days you can be put in jail for beating your kids. Just as you can be put in jail for leaving your kids in the car. She went to 2 different stores and left a helpless 2 year old in a hot car that could have also been kidnapped. The fact that she is being charged with a felony is not the least bit surprising, nor do I disagree with it.

:wacko: So these things were okay for us...but people should be going to jail for them now. Maybe, just maybe...part of the reason that people can be put in jail for these things is that people tend to over react and call for blood at the smallest transgression.

You haven't. All along you have agreed that it was a bad thing to do. From what I gather is that you have a problem with the harsh judgement.

I always have a knee jerk reaction to abuse of children. I expect harsh punishment. In fact, I demand harsh punishment when it comes to kids that are unable to defend themselves against abuse of any sort. And with the amount of publicity that has been generated the last few years about leaving kids in cars and them dying, I would expect very harsh punishment for this particular lady who obviously does not pay attention.

See, this is where I guess I just draw a different line, and I think others really should as well.

If actual harm had come to the child, I would be at the front of the pack looking for an felony Aggravated Child Abuse charge. As none did, I think it's over the top, and think that a misdemeanor Child Neglect charge would be the right thing to pursue.

I think that pretty much nails what I am saying. 15 minutes isn't 3 hours. It's undefendably wrong. So are many other things that are not worthy of a felony charge.

I can't recall.

But then you are not answering the question....you are more picking on the details of my post. Would it be better if it happened and I were 5?

The details of your post are very important to the conversation. When I was 2 my mother wouldnt dream of leaving me alone. When I was 10 she probably would for a quick stop not a 15 minute engagement.

:wacko: So these things were okay for us...but people should be going to jail for them now. Maybe, just maybe...part of the reason that people can be put in jail for these things is that people tend to over react and call for blood at the smallest transgression.

It used to be okay to drink at the age of 18, but now if you get caught for under age drinking, you will be penalized for it. Laws change with the times. Back when i was a kid, not a toddler, i was left in the car ALOT. But 15 years and several child deaths later, the law had to change. I still don't understand where you are coming from on this matter. There is no difference in leaving that child alone in a hot car than leaving the kid at home in the crib. No different than the woman here in NC that tied her two children to a bed post so she could go to work and not pay a sitter. It's the same no matter which way you cut it.

It used to be okay to drink at the age of 18, but now if you get caught for under age drinking, you will be penalized for it. Laws change with the times. Back when i was a kid, not a toddler, i was left in the car ALOT. But 15 years and several child deaths later, the law had to change. I still don't understand where you are coming from on this matter. There is no difference in leaving that child alone in a hot car than leaving the kid at home in the crib. No different than the woman here in NC that tied her two children to a bed post so she could go to work and not pay a sitter. It's the same no matter which way you cut it.

Very simply: Aggravated Abuse would imply that harm was done to the child. Neglect would imply that proper steps were not taken to protect the child from harm.

If the child was not harmed in any way, an Aggravated Child Abuse charge is not warranted. And maybe the height at which the hackles on people necks stand up over this is not quite waranted either.

Neglect is bad, M'Kay? It's not necessarily Abuse.

The details of your post are very important to the conversation. When I was 2 my mother wouldnt dream of leaving me alone. When I was 10 she probably would for a quick stop not a 15 minute engagement.

I have no possibility of proof with this, so I don't plan to chase my tail over it. I would guess that a mom leaving a kid in a locked car in a car seat 34 or so years ago for a few minutes while she ran into the dry cleaners was fairly common.

BTW, I hope anyone who claims to know what their mom did when they were 2 called her to ask her first...

This whole situation could have been avoided is she had simply placed her child in the trunk. Duh!

Sometimes Dad would beat us using the non-pointy end of the tire iron in the trunk. We would thank him and make him a card.

Just curious if anybody knows how the laws really work.

What if she had left the kid in a stroller outside the store in the shade? Would that be considered child abuse?

I have no possibility of proof with this, so I don't plan to chase my tail over it. I would guess that a mom leaving a kid in a locked car in a car seat 34 or so years ago for a few minutes while she ran into the dry cleaners was fairly common.

BTW, I hope anyone who claims to know what their mom did when they were 2 called her to ask her first...

You would probably be right. But the age of the child and the amount of time the child was left in the car has big bearing on how it is viewed. Your example of a quick jaunt into the drycleaner differs from a 15 minute shopping expedition when the child is 2 and cant be expected to help themselves if danger arose.

You would probably be right. But the age of the child and the amount of time the child was left in the car has big bearing on how it is viewed. Your example of a quick jaunt into the drycleaner differs from a 15 minute shopping expedition when the child is 2 and cant be expected to help themselves if danger arose.

Most children of single digit ages could quickly come up against circumstances that they could not handle in nothing more than a few moments.

Either way, I don't want to be overly nit-picky. I think I made my point that Aggravated Child Abuse might not actually fit the action, and probably doesn't. At least it makes sense to me.