[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Teachers can now check students cell phones for...

millerx

Sorry. If I want to be able to get in touch with my kids on a non-emergency basis when they are in high school or middle school that's none of your business, so long we're not interrupting classes. You're free to set whatever cell phone policy you want with your kids, though.

Fair enough, but if I am the principle and your kid is at my school, he or she won't be allowed to use their phone. If you need to get in touch with your kid, then you can call the school offices.

Fair enough, but if I am the principle and your kid is at my school, he or she won't be allowed to use their phone. If you need to get in touch with your kid, then you can call the school offices.

Hogwash. They ain't hurtin' no one if they're texting at lunch time, between classes, before or after school but still on campus. Though, assuming every kid has a locker I'm totally on board with a zero-tolerance approach to cell phones in the class room, even if they're kept in a back pack. Invariably some jackass will forget to turn off their phone and gets an incoming call that disrupts class even if they don't take the call.

A. They shouldn't even be allowed to have cell phones in schools.

B. If they are caught texting in class the phone should be taken away til the end of class or the entire day, just like when kids would get a love letter taken away if caught writing one. I remember those days, and the teacher was mean for reading it in front of the class but was well within her right to embarrass me in order to keep me from doing it again.

3. Why is this news?

Because there are truckloads of stupid people out there and they're reproducing like flies. This shouldn't be news either :wacko:

PS isn't there a way to put some kind of signal scramblers in buildings/areas? Seems that would take care of it.

Edited by BeeR

A. They shouldn't even be allowed to have cell phones in schools.

B. If they are caught texting in class the phone should be taken away til the end of class or the entire day, just like when kids would get a love letter taken away if caught writing one. I remember those days, and the teacher was mean for reading it in front of the class but was well within her right to embarrass me in order to keep me from doing it again.

3. Why is this news?

Because there are truckloads of stupid people out there and they're reproducing like flies. This shouldn't be news either :wacko:

PS isn't there a way to put some kind of signal scramblers in buildings/areas? Seems that would take care of it.

I know. It seemed like a slow day here at the huddle with no topics jumping to the forefront to discuss. Most people who chat here will talk about anything (especially if it has a "yes or no' aspect to it) so I posted it. And as is seen, the people will come. Oh yes, Ray, the people will most definitely come....

Sorry. If I want to be able to get in touch with my kids on a non-emergency basis when they are in high school or middle school that's none of your business, so long we're not interrupting classes. You're free to set whatever cell phone policy you want with your kids, though.

Teachers are reasonable. I have lockers in my classroom. It's ok for students to have them there. Parents also have my cell phone number. If there's an emergency or they need to go somewhere else after school, they usually just call me. Nobody becomes a teacher to become a jerkalope.

Edited by Egret

I believe those are actually illegal in most states for some reason. Actively jamming wireless communications has some kind of limitations. I know movie theatres tried to do it and were denied.

How much do those personal scramblers cost anyway? I had an experience recently that made me wish I had one. It may be worth it...on the other hand, I know I would abuse it.

I believe those are actually illegal in most states for some reason. Actively jamming wireless communications has some kind of limitations. I know movie theatres tried to do it and were denied.

I don't even want to image the settlement the school would pay when some high school girl gets sexually assaulted on school grounds after soccer practice, but couldn't dial 911 because her signal was jammed.

Besides, telling kids they can't have something only ensures they'll want it even more. Better to let baby have his bottle, but (as Perch mentioned) condition continued possession on socially acceptable behavior. Not everything kids learn in school needs to come from a textbook.

How much do those personal scramblers cost anyway? I had an experience recently that made me wish I had one. It may be worth it...on the other hand, I know I would abuse it.

:wacko:

Jammers are illegal to purchase or use in the US except by government agencies.

Edited by budlitebrad

QUOTE (KSUChiefsTarheelFan @ 5/28/08 9:10pm) Fair enough, but if I am the principle and your kid is at my school, he or she won't be allowed to use their phone. If you need to get in touch with your kid, then you can call the school offices.

Hogwash. They ain't hurtin' no one if they're texting at lunch time, between classes, before or after school but still on campus. Though, assuming every kid has a locker I'm totally on board with a zero-tolerance approach to cell phones in the class room, even if they're kept in a back pack. Invariably some jackass will forget to turn off their phone and gets an incoming call that disrupts class even if they don't take the call.

YEEEeeeRRRiightt. come tell that to the student at our school who had an inappropriate picture taken at school. Then the perp texted all his friends to check out his myspace of the pic. nobody was hurt by a lil texting between classtime. :wacko: kids + cellphones w/cameras= nothing but problems at school.

Edited by boat_hacked

YEEEeeeRRRiightt. come tell that to the student at our school who had an inappropriate picture taken at school. Then the perp texted all his friends to check out his myspace of the pic. nobody was hurt by a lil texting between classtime. :wacko: kids + cellphones w/cameras= nothing but problems at school.

Thank kind of stuff can happen anywhere; not just in school. So punish the wrong doer. A deviant mind can find an inappropriate use for pretty much everything. But you can't ban everything.

Thank kind of stuff can happen anywhere; not just in school. So punish the wrong doer. A deviant mind can find an inappropriate use for pretty much everything. But you can't ban everything.
Exactly why we have laws/rules not everyone can use commmon sense or decency. understand you can't ban everything but what purpose does a cell phone have in your child's education at school? Does your work freely let you use their internet to browse,chat,surf, etc. without repercussions to your job performance? Edited by boat_hacked

Exactly why we have laws/rules not everyone can use commmon sense or decency. understand you can't ban everything but what purpose does a cell phone have in your child's education at school? Does your work freely let you use their internet to browse,chat,surf, etc. without repercussions to your job performance?

I hope the irony of that comment is not lost on you within the context of this message board.

Yes, I get free roam of the internet.

Agreed: a cell phone isn't necessary for educational purposes. But it is necessary so I can get in touch with my kid (and vice versa) when necessary for our family. As long as my kid isn't getting in the way of anyone else's education, I don't see what the problem is.

Agreed: a cell phone isn't necessary for educational purposes. But it is necessary so I can get in touch with my kid (and vice versa) when necessary for our family. As long as my kid isn't getting in the way of anyone else's education, I don't see what the problem is.

And that's why school's have phones in their offices. And you do know you're speaking of an age group that thinks only of themselves. therein lies the problem.

Sure it can, but parents have an expectation that their kids are being protected at school.....this is somewhat the reason why a students expectation of privacy is drastically lower in school. Methinks if a kid gets an upskirt at the mall.....that is repulsive, but not the same as in school....where there is an expectation to protect students....and peer bullying.

I hope the irony of that comment is not lost on you within the context of this message board.

Yes, I get free roam of the internet.

Neither is carrying a gun to school...albeit an extreme example...still it is not about you and contacting your child...there are ways for that to happen at school. Obviously, I think students should be allowed to bring cell phones to school....locked in their locker and turned on only after school is dismissed. That way kids with extra curricular activities can call parents or arrange for transport...or in a worst case call 911.

Neither is carrying a gun to school...albeit an extreme example...still it is not about you and contacting your child...there are ways for that to happen at school. Obviously, I think students should be allowed to bring cell phones to school....locked in their locker and turned on only after school is dismissed. That way kids with extra curricular activities can call parents or arrange for transport...or in a worst case call 911.

+1

Why is it so hard for folks to see this?

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

This year we had one of the 8th grade genius boys take a picture of his wang while in the boys locker room. He passed it around. It was hilarious. Until someone told me about it. Then it was not so hilarious. It's nothing but trouble, I tell ya. Keep them phones at home.