[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sawing a 6x6 post

detlef

I've done this probably 100 times in my life. Get the long sawzall blade.

The chainsaw has the potential to really chop up the top of your deck when you try to cut it flush.

I agree. If the cut need to look factory, a sawzall will get you much closer than a chainsaw.

I agree. If the cut need to look factory, a sawzall will get you much closer than a chainsaw.

Agreed. But you can either cap them with something decorative, or sand them down. Totally depends on whether aesthetics are driving factor. If not, go with the chain saw.

One more thing: you may be creating an issue with building codes depending on how high your deck is off the ground. Can't remember the height, but by code you have to have a railing so people can't fall off and hurt themselves.

Just be aware of this because if you ever sell the house an inspector may force you to put it back on.

One more thing: you may be creating an issue with building codes depending on how high your deck is off the ground. Can't remember the height, but by code you have to have a railing so people can't fall off and hurt themselves.

Just be aware of this because if you ever sell the house an inspector may force you to put it back on.

It's less than 2 ft off the ground and we're replacing the whole thing next spring or I wouldn't have agreed to such a low-rent temporary remodel.

To me I would prefer something a little more stationary when cutting a piece of wood that big.

Would a 12 inch mitre saw work or is a table saw an option at all?

I'm not Mr. Handy but those were my first two thoughts.

To me I would prefer something a little more stationary when cutting a piece of wood that big.

Would a 12 inch mitre saw work or is a table saw an option at all?

I'm not Mr. Handy but those were my first two thoughts.

They probably would, but they would be a bitch to carry to his back yard and hold where he wants them cut. They are in the ground holding the deck up.

They probably would, but they would be a bitch to carry to his back yard and hold where he wants them cut. They are in the ground holding the deck up.

lol, I missed that part. I knew I was missing something. :wacko:

I guess I should read these posts a little closer before responding.

Edited by chiefjay

lol, I missed that part. I knew I was missing something. :wacko:

I guess I should read these posts a little closer before responding.

lol...i would consider you quite the handy man if you could get a table saw to cut those posts!!

I'm going to echo what many others have said.

If the cut doesn't have to be perfect and you are taking the entire thing down next spring,use a chainsaw.You are talking mere minutes of cutting vs (depending on how many posts) well over an hour.

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone suggest just getting an old fashioned saw and going at it old school? 'Cause that's what I did. Numerous fiascos involving borrowing or renting a chain saw got old and I found myself at the Home Depot only to learn that this branch did not rent them. I said, screw this and just grabbed the nicest saw I could find there. A 20" Stanley with a thick coated blade and started in on it. A few minutes per post later... Also, I think this allowed me to get about as flush with the deck as any other options and i got a nice workout out of it.

Did anyone suggest just getting an old fashioned saw and going at it old school? 'Cause that's what I did. Numerous fiascos involving borrowing or renting a chain saw got old and I found myself at the Home Depot only to learn that this branch did not rent them. I said, screw this and just grabbed the nicest saw I could find there. A 20" Stanley with a thick coated blade and started in on it. A few minutes per post later... Also, I think this allowed me to get about as flush with the deck as any other options and i got a nice workout out of it.

No power tools? What, are you some kind of luddite? Man, do you make your toast over an open flame?

• 4 months later...

one question....were they really 6x6? 4x4 is standard for deck posts.

hand saw or japanese pull saw is your best bet for a clean cut and closest to the deck floor

but a12" NEW sawzall blade for wood, would go through them suckers like butter.

always BUY a tool when you need it. especially a sawzall, they come in very handy for many projects.

other thing about Liability....2 feet off the ground is high enough (and against code to not have a rail, don't know where you live)

to cause injury.....just a thought if your having a party or sumthin sumthin.....