[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Teach me about riding lawnmowers.

untateve

Do not get a Craftsman. You follow that advice, and you'll be way ahead of the game.

John Deer is consistently rated the highest for dependability in Consumer Reports.

You'll pay a premium for zero turn on any brand, and have to judge if its worth it to you or not.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do not get a Craftsman. You follow that advice, and you'll be way ahead of the game.

John Deer is consistently rated the highest for dependability in Consumer Reports.

You'll pay a premium for zero turn on any brand, and have to judge if its worth it to you or not.

My father in law has had a Murray mower for about ten years....and has had ZERO problems....obviously just the maintenance. He has a wooded 14 acre lot....but for his 3 acre lawn he uses the Murray...for the 11 other acres....he has a Cat. Crawler and a Ford tractor bucket. I recommend for a half acre to NOT go with the Cat. Crawler or the Ford Tractor!

I thought the Egg cut the grass too! :wacko: For what they charge for it, it should.

You look at the Egg and you think "money...cost...expensive" and that is sad. I could look at my wife with the exact same thoughts and I'd be just as accurate.

However, there are those entities that cannot be tethered to material costs. I don't want to drive a fast, expensive car. I don't want to live in a big, expensive house. I want to sit by my Egg with a Belgian ale (or an Immort ale), let the smoke waft about me, and eat really good food.

I can't believe you are actually considering buying a riding lawn mower for that small of a lot. Mine is twice that big, and my fat ass uses a push mower.

Teach me about push mowers. Actually, teach me about self-propelled mowers. I am a humble and willing apprentice.

Consumer Reports top rated models are all Honda, Toro, and Lawnboy.

The top rated are:

Honda HRX217HXA $800 Rating 86

Toro Super recycler 20092 $500 Rating 83

Honda HRX2172VKA 700 Rating 81

Lawn-Boy 10785 $460 rating 81

Honda HRR216K3VXA $580 rating 80

and part of a discussion I found discussing the 3 MFRs...

Carl:

I've not got the number of years of experience that you have or the professional experience of others on this forum under my belt. I've only been mowing with walk-behinds for 11 years. I've been going through the process this year of choosing aother walk-behind mower, & here are some of my experiences & observations:

1. Honda motors are superior to B&S & Tecumseh, in sophistication, quality/durability & convenience & features

2. The self propelled rear wheel drive systems I've had on Craftsman & Husqvarna in the $400 range are useless. The ones I've had quit working or work only VERY sluggishly after only a few mowings- I think b/c the belt drive needs adjustment often & is not built for use in powering through thick grass.

3. The Honda motors on Honda mowers are stronger & have better features (in my experience) than the Honda motors on other brands of mowers

4. The deck designs of the Craftsman, Yard Man & Husqvarna are not as conducive to mulching as Honda's

5. Honda mowers are superior mowers overall in quality (fit, finish, feel, strength, durability, attention to detail, convenience for use & maintenance, etc.)

6. Hondas are more expensive than some others, but worth the money

I've not used Lawnboy or Toro, but have checked them out &, for me, the features & quality of the Honda HRR2163VXA for the money ($499 retail @ both my local Home Depot & Honda Dealer)are hard to resist- too hard for me. I bought one! I was unimpressed by the amount of room/space the drive system housing under the deck of the LB takes up.

I primarily mulch & hardly ever bag, so I wanted to be sure the deck design allows the best mulching possible- even/especially in thick, damp or wet grass. The HRR2163VXA plows through thick, damp grass without bogging down, unlike the Craftsmans, Yardmans & Husqvarna mowers I've had. The fact that I've been through 4 mowers (Yardman, Craftsman, Husqvarna & Craftsman)in 11 yrs., is testimony to my poor choices in purchases in the past.

I am impressed with the HRR2163VXA. I agree with others who have posted on this forum (& the person who returned the one that I bought) that the thumb control of the self propelled drive is not the most comfortable to use (after 30 mins. or so). However, it is very responsive, strong, & reliable. the variable speed is MUCH more "variable" than the "trigger" controls I've had on other mowers.

I love the fuel shut-off valve & the easy access fuel bowl drain bolt on the HRR. This is very convenient for keeping the mower from flooding during maintenance that requires turning the mower on its side, as well as for winter storage (I live in Idaho). The dual blades are very good @ lifting & mulching. The extra bolts holding the blades in place add much to blade stability & ability to cut thick, damp grass without bogging down. Ball bearings on all 4 wheels is a big plus. The BBC is a HUGE feature for the $, & is extremely useful (for my purposes- lots of mowing interruptions & kid & dog toys in the yard, etc.). The wheel adjusters are VERY easy to operate- no struggle.

I got my HRR2163VXA for only $399 b/c it was slightly used (only 5x) & the original purchaser didn't like the thumb control drive b/c his hands were not strong enough.

I'd go with the HONDA!

link

This is the bad boy I just bought for my 1/2 acre lot.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...&lpage=none

Has the bagger that I want for my leaves in the fall. Has 4 speed self propelled and one arm adjust for height adjustment.

You are on a slow jog on the 4th speed. I mow in setting 2, which is plenty fast enough, just fast enough that I can still make the nice lines.

Edited by Hat Trick

Teach me about push mowers. Actually, teach me about self-propelled mowers. I am a humble and willing apprentice.

Consumer Reports top rated models are all Honda, Toro, and Lawnboy.

The top rated are:

Honda HRX217HXA $800 Rating 86

Toro Super recycler 20092 $500 Rating 83

Honda HRX2172VKA 700 Rating 81

Lawn-Boy 10785 $460 rating 81

Honda HRR216K3VXA $580 rating 80

I have the Toro model one up from this, and absolutely love it. It goes at the pace you want to go, so it isn't dragging you. It has a hose connection on the top of the deck you just screw your hose into and turn the mower on, and it cleans it's self. It also has a safety feature that will disengage the blade if you let go of the handle, but keeps the mower running, which is great for picking crap that you don't want to run over.

Be careful of the Honda mowers with the nexite deck. My brother has one, and hates it. He's love Hondas, but the deck they are putting on their higher end mowers is weak. It gets dents and dings, and flexes a lot. No doubt Honda has the best engines, but the decks are a major drawback IMO. When I bought mine last year I was choosing between the Honda HRX2172VKA and the Toro Super recycler 20093. My brother had the Honda, and he talked me out of it. I love my Toro.

Be careful of the Honda mowers with the nexite deck. My brother has one, and hates it. He's love Hondas, but the deck they are putting on their higher end mowers is weak. It gets dents and dings, and flexes a lot. No doubt Honda has the best engines, but the decks are a major drawback IMO. When I bought mine last year I was choosing between the Honda HRX2172VKA and the Toro Super recycler 20093. My brother had the Honda, and he talked me out of it. I love my Toro.

I'm guessing you went with the 20093 over the 20095 because of the blade over ride system?

Also, can an skinny 11-yr-old start the 20093 on his own? (my son will be 12 in sept, but he only weighs about 58 pounds)

I'm guessing you went with the 20093 over the 20095 because of the blade over ride system?

Also, can an skinny 11-yr-old start the 20093 on his own? (my son will be 12 in sept, but he only weighs about 58 pounds)

Yep, and I didn't want to pay the extra money for an electric start when they guarantee a one pull start. Yeah, your kid should be able to start it unless he is a pencil neck geek. Seriously pump the bubble three times, pull the cord once and it is running.

Yep, and I didn't want to pay the extra money for an electric start when they guarantee a one pull start. Yeah, your kid should be able to start it unless he is a pencil neck geek. Seriously pump the bubble three times, pull the cord once and it is running.

well, I may be biased, but I don't think my son is a geek. In fact, I have never once seen him bite the head off of a live chicken.

The Honda will reliably run forever. The Toro has a Briggs engine, which will be more prone to problems. That doesn't mean it will have problems, just that it's not a Honda.

I can't say anything about the decks. I don't own either mower. I do have a Honda snow thrower, which was expensive but is also easily the best piece of yard equipment I have ever purchased. It just keeps running, no problems.

The MFRs get equal ratings for overall reliability, so I am not saying Toro is making something that's "inferior"., I am just saying that I think the engine bits will be superior in the Honda....which means the other bits will probably be superior in the Toro.

EDIT: Also FWIW, the Honda gets better marks for Ease of Use and Bagging. The Toro gets better marks for side discharge, and the Honda has the rear discharge as it's one thing that's listed as a negative.

CR Best Buy in the self propelled category is: Toro recycler 20066 $350 Rating 74

Edited by Caveman_Nick

I bought a toro recycler last year and have been very happy with it. The "Personal Pace" system is really nice and easy to handle for kids and wimmin in particular. I'm a big Honda fan, but couldn't justify the extra expense for one.

You look at the Egg and you think "money...cost...expensive" and that is sad. I could look at my wife with the exact same thoughts and I'd be just as accurate.

However, there are those entities that cannot be tethered to material costs. I don't want to drive a fast, expensive car. I don't want to live in a big, expensive house. I want to sit by my Egg with a Belgian ale (or an Immort ale), let the smoke waft about me, and eat really good food.

:wacko: I obviously did that on purpose. I love your cultish answers and you didn't fail me. :D Unta!

• 1 month later...

Please check out the mug shot of this f'n Canadian.

Man Charged with Shooting His Own Lawnmower

By Jay Sorgi

Story Created: Jul 25, 2008

A man from Milwaukee is facing criminal charges after he solved a problem with his lawnmower by shooting it.

According to a criminal complaint, on Wednesday Keith Walendowski got drunk early in the morning. He decided to mow his lawn on the 3500 block of South Austin Street in Milwaukee.

He couldn't get the lawnmower to start. His solution? Prosecutors say Walendowski went to his basement and grabbed a sawed off shotgun, and he fired twice at the lawnmower.

"I'll tell you the truth. I got p---ed because my lawn mower wouldn't start, so I got my shotgun and shot it," Walendowski said to an officer. "I can do that, it's my lawn mower and my yard, so I can shoot it if I want."

If convicted, Walendowski faces up to six years and 90 days behind bars and fines of $11,000.

A local lawnmower repairman tells the Journal Sentinel that Walendowski may have trouble fixing the mower noting that anything not factory recommended voids the warranty.

COUNT 01: POSSESSION OF SHORT-BARRELED SHOTGUN OR SHORT-BARRELED

RIFLE

On July 23, 2008, at 3512 South Austin Street, City of Milwaukee, did possess a short-barreled shotgun

contrary to Wisconsin Statutes Section 941.28.

COUNT 02: DISORDERLY CONDUCT, WHILE ARMED

On July 23, 2008, at 3512 South Austin Street, City of Milwaukee, a private place, did engage in violent,

and otherwise disorderly conduct under circumstances in which such conduct tended to cause or provoke

a disturbance, contrary to Wisconsin Statutes Section 947.01 and 939.63.

AS TO COUNT 01:

Upon conviction of this charge, a Class H Felony, the maximum possible penalty is a fine of not more

than $10,000, or imprisonment for not more than 6 years, or both.

AS TO COUNT 02:

Upon conviction of this charge, a Class B Misdemeanor, the maximum possible penalty is a fine of not

more than $1,000, or imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or both.