[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm an idiot - Please help

Menudo

O.k. I'm an idiot, I fully admit this. I know nothing about cars / engines / lawnmowers / etc... I checked the oil in my mower, and it was low, so I filled the oil. I then proceeded to start the mower. At first, everything seemed normal, and then, a huge puff of white smoke came billowing out, and then some oil started dripping out of the engine. So, obviously, my clueless, idiot self over-filled the oil. Now, I know there is probably an oil plug on this thing somewhere, but, I have no idea where it is. I let it sit for a bit and tried to start it again, and now it won't start.

So, does anyone have any advice for me ? Did I ruin my mower, which is only about 3 months old ??????

It is highly unlikely that you ruined a mower with too much oil.

It's also strange that a mower 3 months old would be low on oil.

I would take it to where I bought it and have them look at it.

I put the oil in the 1st time, checked it today, and re-filled it.........knowing me, I'm guessing user error was involved somewhere along the way

O.k. I'm an idiot, I fully admit this. I know nothing about cars / engines / lawnmowers / etc... I checked the oil in my mower, and it was low, so I filled the oil. I then proceeded to start the mower. At first, everything seemed normal, and then, a huge puff of white smoke came billowing out, and then some oil started dripping out of the engine. So, obviously, my clueless, idiot self over-filled the oil. Now, I know there is probably an oil plug on this thing somewhere, but, I have no idea where it is. I let it sit for a bit and tried to start it again, and now it won't start.

So, does anyone have any advice for me ? Did I ruin my mower, which is only about 3 months old ??????

if I am not mistaken the plug should be UNDER the mower if it is a push mower. If it is a rider there should be one visible on the side. Once you drain the oil fill a little at a time then check the Dip Stick so as not to over fill. Also remove the plug wire when working under the mower.

:D usually on lawnmowers you drain the oil out of the same hole you fill it by. which means tipping it on its side. not sure if that's the issue but you can try. maybe have your wife do it though so you don't break a nail.

:wacko:

:D

if I am not mistaken the plug should be UNDER the mower if it is a push mower. If it is a rider there should be one visible on the side. Once you drain the oil fill a little at a time then check the Dip Stick so as not to over fill. Also remove the plug wire when working under the mower.

True dat, you shouldn't have to fill it but maybe once a year. I take it you just added oil thinking it was low and didn't even check the dip stick? You have to wipe it off first, before you get an accurate reading :wacko: Drain it, unscrew the filter and take it out, I'd imagine its completely soaked with oil and the engine is not able to breathe. Send me the make and model please.

True dat, you shouldn't have to fill it but maybe once a year. I take it you just added oil thinking it was low and didn't even check the dip stick? You have to wipe it off first, before you get an accurate reading :wacko: Drain it, unscrew the filter and take it out, I'd imagine its completely soaked with oil and the engine is not able to breathe. Send me the make and model please.

Briggs & Stratton 675

It is a push mower, but, I don't see an oil plug or anything under the mower. I can't find the owner's manual (my wife probably put it somewhere), so, I'm not sure how to drain this......

Briggs & Stratton 675

It is a push mower, but, I don't see an oil plug or anything under the mower. I can't find the owner's manual (my wife probably put it somewhere), so, I'm not sure how to drain this......

tip it over on to the grass.

Briggs & Stratton 675

That's just the engine specs, what's the make and model?

That's just the engine specs, what's the make and model?

Troy Built - Model Series 460 Mower

Briggs & Stratton - Model 120000 Quantum 675 Series Engine

Troy Built - Model Series 460 Mower

Briggs & Stratton - Model 120000 Quantum 675 Series Engine

Don't bother looking for the manual, it doesn't say, just read the whole thing. I'll see what I can dig up on the engine. Give me a few.

You need to pull the starter rope at least 1000 times as quickly as possible. Careful not to pass out. Film it and put it on youtube for verification of proper technique. TIA.

O.k. I was able to drain the oil :D

Then it started :D However, there was still some white smoke blowing out. I let it run for a couple of minutes and the smoke stopped, so, I guess I'm o.k. now. :wacko:

Then it started :D However, there was still some white smoke blowing out. I let it run for a couple of minutes and the smoke stopped, so, I guess I'm o.k. now. :wacko:

Did you put the oil back in?

If I were you I would still clean the filter, otherwise it may continue to billow out the smoke when you start it up from time to time. Since its so new, it would be best that you try and get it back to that state. just my 2 cents.

Edited by Hat Trick

If I were you I would still clean the filter, otherwise it may continue to billow out the smoke when you start it up from time to time. Since its so new, it would be best that you try and get it back to that state. just my 2 cents.

+1

I would check the air filter for sure, and I would pull out the spark plug and give it a few pulls to see if there is any other oil in there.

+1

I would check the air filter for sure, and I would pull out the spark plug and give it a few pulls to see if there is any other oil in there.

+1 again.

I tipped my over one time to drain the oil ( I wasn't thinking and tipped it the wrong way )... the air filter got soaked, I got the puffs of white smoke, and it struggled to stay running. Once I figured out what I had doen, a simple replacement of the air filter fixed it.