[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tiger Woods out for the year...

KSUChiefsTarheelFan

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

solid analogy -

If it isn't clear to you that a heavy DH or pitcher is not a better all around athlete than the broken down 45 year old Rocco Mediate we watched all weekend- then I cannot help you.

Plenty of bigger guys that are still athletes

so easy, even a caveman can undertand it

What I am saying is that pitching in and of itself is no more athletic than swinging a golf club. If you have something that might refute that other than something that sounds like "duh", I'd be willing to engage :wacko:

What I am saying is that pitching in and of itself is no more athletic than swinging a golf club. If you have something that might refute that other than something that sounds like "duh", I'd be willing to engage :wacko:

Just throwing a baseball and swinging a golf club doesn't take that much athletic ability. But if you can throw 95 mph and swing a club at 125 mph, then you have been physically gifted with athletic ability. Both are something that come naturally...with a little bit of work. Both require the quick twitch muscles to do it. And either you have it or you don't.

Way to take it to another level. That 80 year old man carries only a slightly higher handicap than I do. By no means am I calling him a pro but my point is he has the "athletic ability" to compete at a pretty high level especially at his age.

so you would both be average or above average athletes when it comes to golf. congrats. you and the old fart are still light years from the PGA and that level of athleticism.

“If one does not understand a person, one tends to regard him as a fool.”

if you don't recognize the vast difference between you and the 80 year old shooting slightly better than bogey golf on everyday golf courses and the pros who shoot scratch or better on the toughest courses in the world set up to be even tougher, then you are indeed being quite foolish.

The same could be said of half of the pitchers in MLB, and quite a few of the DH's as well.

Baseball must not be a sport.

my bad, I thought you were tryin to make some wack analogy that baseball must not be a sport bc of a few heavier pitchers and DH's guys.........

so, just so I am clear.......

Rocco is fat and golf isn't a sport so............................

since some pitchers and DH's are fat, baseball must not be either - solid work

If Tiger played baseball instead of golf, I think he would be just as good. He has a lot of talent and discipline. I think he would excel at just about anything.

I think you may agree with me on this, Michael Jordan is a better athlete than Tiger. And...Michael couldn't cut it in the minor leagues of baseball.

I agree with both sides to an extent.

My Dad once took a golf lesson and and the instructor told my Dad that he had outstanding hand eye coordination. My Dad being an airline pilot, was quite pleased with himself. The instructor then told him to address the ball, close his eyes, and hit the ball. Which he did..."there isn't any hand eye coordination in golf. It is all about how you address the ball" was what the instructor pointed out. Of course, I would disagree to a point because watching these guys line up putts is amazing. I pretty much see golf as a repeatable motion, that being the swing. In other "sports", you have to react to external stimuli, which to me, denotes some athletic skill.

And don't kid yourself about baseball players, there aren't a whole bunch of them out of shape. My Dad tried pulling that crap on me at a Texas Rangers game and I systematically pointed out every player on both teams that we could see in the eight or so innings we were there how "out of shape" that guys looks, etc. He got the point....

In other "sports", you have to react to external stimuli, which to me, denotes some athletic skill.

the wind, the slope, the cut of the grass, the fans, the pin placement, bunkers, water, trees, yardage, speed, noise, competition, pressure ... i think the pros are reacting to quite a bit, making continual adjustments.

I think you may agree with me on this, Michael Jordan is a better athlete than Tiger. And...Michael couldn't cut it in the minor leagues of baseball.

True...but had Jordan played baseball his whole life (like basketball), he would have been a stud. Jordan has the ability to be great at anything he does. He could have been a wide receiver too. But it takes years of practice. He didn't have that luxury with baseball.

I don't want to bust your bubble...but a 13 handicap is not a "high level." On my home course, a 13 handicap would shoot a 90.

Unfortunately I know that to be true already. Then again, if I had the time t dedicate to golf that some of the pros do then I have no doubt I could improve enough to compete.

so you would both be average or above average athletes when it comes to golf. congrats. you and the old fart are still light years from the PGA and that level of athleticism.
Like I said I would not consider myself an athlete because I do not play any sport and neither does Tiger Woods. Could he compete in a sport such as baseball? Maybe, but I have a feeling he would suck even more than Jordan did at it and I couldn't imagine any other sport that he might be good at.

if you don't recognize the vast difference between you and the 80 year old shooting slightly better than bogey golf on everyday golf courses and the pros who shoot scratch or better on the toughest courses in the world set up to be even tougher, then you are indeed being quite foolish.

Seriously, do you actually believe that I am trying to compare my golf game to that of a PGA pro? Pay attention, there may be a test afterward.

It doesn't take an athlete to be a professional golfer and just because some people think he could compete in a sport doesn't make him one.

True...but had Jordan played baseball his whole life (like basketball), he would have been a stud. Jordan has the ability to be great at anything he does. He could have been a wide receiver too. But it takes years of practice. He didn't have that luxury with baseball.

Jordan's first love was baseball, he did play it his entire life. He didn't pick up basketball until high school & in fact was cut from the varsity team the first time he tried out. Then came back his junior year and the rest is history.

the wind, the slope, the cut of the grass, the fans, the pin placement, bunkers, water, trees, yardage, speed, noise, competition, pressure ... i think the pros are reacting to quite a bit, making continual adjustments.

Well, you certainly have plenty of time to think about your shot and how you are going to proceed due to the things you mentioned. But then, it all comes down to a quiet crowd, you, and ball sitting there ready to be hit. No continual adjustments when the time has come to hit the ball. Don't get me wrong, I think what these guys do is amazing, just not as much in a physical sense, in my opinion.

Edited by I Like Soup

you say this ...

Unfortunately I know that to be true already. Then again, if I had the time t dedicate to golf that some of the pros do then I have no doubt I could improve enough to compete.

then you say this ...

Seriously, do you actually believe that I am trying to compare my golf game to that of a PGA pro? Pay attention, there may be a test afterward.

It doesn't take an athlete to be a professional golfer and just because some people think he could compete in a sport doesn't make him one.

in the same post.

:wacko:

Well, you certainly have plenty of time to think about your shot and how you are going to proceed due to the things you mentioned. But then, it all comes down to a quiet crowd, you, and ball sitting there ready to be hit. No continual adjustments when the time has come to hit the ball. Don't get me wrong, I think what these guys do is amazing, just not as much in a physical sense, in my opinion.

SO again, kind of like pitching. Without the physical obstacle of a batter, but with the physical obstacle of the golf course that's changed daily.

Having done both I will argue that pitching is just as difficult to master & way more physically demanding and damaging than golf.

I have to disagree...a little. I have done both at a high level. I pitched through college and I've been a scratch golfer (currently a 2). At least to me, golf is tougher. There were many days pitching where I didn't have my good stuff and I was still effective. In golf, you're punished severely if you're not on your game. There's no wiggle room.

Both require a ton of practice though. I agree pitching is more physical and damaging. I've got a ruined shoulder to prove it.

ESPN the Mag just asked hundreds of professional athletes 2 questions:

1. The Most Demanding Sport is. . . .

Football got 72 votes, Basketball got 26, Baseball got 15, Hockey got 9, Soccer and Cycling got 6

2. The Best Athletes Play. . .

Basketball got 78 votes, Football got 42, Baseball got 12, Hockey got 8, Gymnastics got 6

In both questions, the only people to vote for Baseball were. . . .you guessed it. . .baseball players. Said Scott Proctor: "We're not athletes. We're just baseball players."

Oh, and Brad Miller, Jason Kidd and Ben Francisco (Cleveland Indians OF) all voted for water polo!