[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vacation assistance again

untateve

As part of my family's vacation this year, we plan on doing two days in the D.C. area (Smithsonian, various monuments, etc.). I've been told that there are some towns in Virginia where I could stay and then be able to take a train into D.C. so I don't have to worry about parking/driving etc.

Which towns would make the most sense? What is the name of the train we'd be taking in? Bonus question: What stop would we get off in D.C. area for the above listed sites?

My thanks in advance.

As part of my family's vacation this year, we plan on doing two days in the D.C. area (Smithsonian, various monuments, etc.). I've been told that there are some towns in Virginia where I could stay and then be able to take a train into D.C. so I don't have to worry about parking/driving etc.

Which towns would make the most sense? What is the name of the train we'd be taking in? Bonus question: What stop would we get off in D.C. area for the above listed sites?

My thanks in advance.

I stayed at a Doubletree in Tyson's Corner, VA. Nice area w/ lots of malls, shopping, etc. It was about a mile from the METRO. Hotel had a shuttle or you could drive and park there. Right now, I can't remember the friggin' stops in downtown DC. for you. I suggest you meditate in front of The Big Green Egg.

I stayed at a Doubletree in Tyson's Corner, VA. Nice area w/ lots of malls, shopping, etc. It was about a mile from the METRO. Hotel had a shuttle or you could drive and park there. Right now, I can't remember the friggin' stops in downtown DC. for you. I suggest you meditate in front of The Big Green Egg.

Please, don't encourage him :wacko:

+1.5

Plus if you wanna do skyline drive in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. It would be very difficult to do both the mall and the valley, mainly because you would need to rent a car but the valley is pretty amazing simply for this

+1.5

Plus if you wanna do skyline drive in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. It would be very difficult to do both the mall and the valley, mainly because you would need to rent a car but the valley is pretty amazing simply for this

My tentative plan will be to do one day in Eastern PA, 2 days in D.C., 2 days in at Shenandoah Natl Park area, two days at Williamsburg (one day at colonial williamsburg, one day at busch gardens). Then, head to North Carolina, visit detlef and whoever else can be rounded up, grab what's left of my Dogfish Head Imort Ale, and spend a week in Charlotte, NC with my brother. I'll be driving all the way down. You had mentioned getting together as well. While all dates are tentative, D.C. will happen at some point between Sun-Tues, 7/27 - 7-29.

No longer a Doubletree....we own it, and converted it to a nice Westin about a year ago!

Great spot for you, Unta...let me know if this is where you want to be, and I'll make a call for you to see if I can help.

Solid plan on the two days in southern Virgina....we did the same thing with our kids two eyars ago. Stayed at our Marriott on the water in downtown Norfolk, and toured the battleships, too. We have since sold the Marriott, so i can't help you there.

Keep in touch if you need some help with the room, or need some ideas on Eastern PA....Philly-area here.

I work right in DC at Bureau of Engraving and Printing and that should be a stop on your tour. Most of the places you are looking to visit are on the Smithsonian stop for the subway. This metro stop will be good for Wahington Monument, Air and Space and most of the Smithsonian buildings, Holocost and did I mention I work at the Bureau of Engraving and printing and we have an excellent tour as well, if money is of any interest. You can PM me for more info and a meeting point when you are in town for lunch.

My tentative plan will be to do one day in Eastern PA, 2 days in D.C., 2 days in at Shenandoah Natl Park area, two days at Williamsburg (one day at colonial williamsburg, one day at busch gardens). Then, head to North Carolina, visit detlef and whoever else can be rounded up, grab what's left of my Dogfish Head Imort Ale, and spend a week in Charlotte, NC with my brother. I'll be driving all the way down. You had mentioned getting together as well. While all dates are tentative, D.C. will happen at some point between Sun-Tues, 7/27 - 7-29.

Still holding at 23 btw.

Vienna is the name of the town at the end of the Orange line of the Metro. However, Alexandria is on the Blue and Yellow lines and has the advantage of being more than just suburbia. Our esteemed first President George Washington actually laid out the city grid when he was working as a planner/architect before he became involved in the millitary. Tons of history here including one of the two unknown soldiers that aren't buried in Arlington National Cemetary. Also, a really kick ass Irish pub (Murphy's) if that's your sort of thing after you put the kids to bed.

Traffic is horrible anywhere down here but Tyson's Corner is noted for it. There are two exceptionally large shopping malls within blocks of each other surrounded by office space. You have to drive from there to either the Vienna or West Falls Church Metro stops. The Dunn Loring stop is between the two but is a real beotch to get to if your not familiar with the area.

Here's a link to the Metro web site. There is a Smithsonian stop, it puts you out in the middle of the Smithsonian kinda, sorta. Remember, ther Smithsonian is at least 11 buildings + the Udvar-Hazy adjunct out at Dulles airport. The Federal Triangle stop puts you closer to the White House, the stop actually brings you up in the middle of Federal Triangle across the street from the Ronald Reagan building. Capitol South will get you to the U.S Capitol building at the far end of the Mall. If you stick to the Blue and Orange lines (the trains stop at the same stations so it doesn't matter which on you get on unless your hotel is out past the split) you should be fine as far as travel though. On the Web site, there is a trip planner where you can type in a landmark or address and they will tell you which stations and lines to use. Very helpful. Oh, one last thing. You can buy a ride all day for one price ($7.80) pass which is great value. Unfotunately, you cannot use it until after the morning rush hour ends which is 9:30 AM. If you park a car at a Metro station, you will have to buy a SmarTrip card. All the parking attendents are automated now and that's the only way to pay.

Just a couple of notes: Ignore the homeless and beggars.The Smithsonian stop is known for having them there but they are at a bunch of them. If you give anything to one of them, the rest get pissed at you for playing favorites and they can be quite agressive (not violent, just in your face agressive) if you get them riled up.

The Mall is a beautiful place, great for walking around, but in the heat of the summer down here, it can be just brutal some days. Backpacks filled with water are one of the best things you can do for yourself. Even with the Metro, you'll be doing a ton of walking, be prepared.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to contact me, if you get lost or otherwise confused, please do the same.

If you have any questions on Williamsburg just let me know.

Kid Cid pretty much nailed it. I would definitely stick to the blue/orange lines in Virginia - there are a ton of places you could stay. Also be prepared for insanely crowded metros. The orange line in particular is brutal - you can't even move sometimes on the trains during rush hour they're so crowded. If you stay in North Arlington (the Rosslyn/Courthouse stops), you're about 5 minutes from Georgetown if you have any interest in seeing that. I personally don't think there's much to see as its all shopping or restaraunts, but still, its a trendy part of DC. If you want something a little more outdoorsy, you can rent kayaks and go out on the Potomac. That's always fun.

I highly recommend the Newseum, which is newly reopened downtown. Only thing is that, unlike the Smithsonians, its not free. Its $20 a ticket per adult, not sure for the kids. But its very, very good.

My thanks to you all as this is the info I was hoping for.

While I'm not interested in shopping malls, the Irish pub sounds like a nice place for dinner/ales. I know that two days in the DC area will not be enough for me to see everything and I'm not one to try to see it all at once. I'm compiling ideas and then will decide with the family. However, exploring part of the Smithsonian is definitely part of the agenda. Any and all suggestions must me the approval of two boys, ages 8 and 11.

Keg, I would certainly like more info re: williamsburg including where to stay. To be honest, I'm trying to get out of going to Busch Gardens but my wife is pushing that idea. If there are other family friendly things to do in the area, please fire away.

My thanks to you all as this is the info I was hoping for.

While I'm not interested in shopping malls, the Irish pub sounds like a nice place for dinner/ales. I know that two days in the DC area will not be enough for me to see everything and I'm not one to try to see it all at once. I'm compiling ideas and then will decide with the family. However, exploring part of the Smithsonian is definitely part of the agenda. Any and all suggestions must me the approval of two boys, ages 8 and 11.

Keg, I would certainly like more info re: williamsburg including where to stay. To be honest, I'm trying to get out of going to Busch Gardens but my wife is pushing that idea. If there are other family friendly things to do in the area, please fire away.

ck your PMs

As far as things to do in Williamsburg:

First you must know that you can walk around and view the building etc in Williamsburg for free...However, if you want to go into certain buildings you will need to purchase a pass (their are different passes for different things)

One thing that I would recommend would be Revolutionary City is a live re-enactment that has drawn rave reviews (this is its 3rd yr)

Also, "Cry Witch" is an evening program that is supposed to be very good.

Evening Programs

For a Lantern Tour or Ghost Tour I would suggest an Independant Tour called Revolutionary Tours (I can give you the number via PM if you want it)....CW(Colonial Williamsburg) does a Legends Lantern Tour which does get you into certain buildings but from what I have heard it is a bit underwhelming....the Revolutionary Tours Lantern Tour is different then all others in Williamsburg in that about 75% of it is all historically correct and then they mix in 25% ghost stories where other tours are 100% ghost stories.....Also the tour is done by an actor if full colonial attire while portraying someone that lived in colonial times (John Rollison, I think that is the person being depicted)....

Busch Gardens is a very nice park but its a theme park

Water Country USA is a water park that is owned by Anheuser Busch

Jamestown and Jamestown Settlement would be something worth visiting...especially with last yr being the 400th anniversary.

if I can think of anything else I will let you know

Edited by keggerz

ck your PMs

As far as things to do in Williamsburg:

First you must know that you can walk around and view the building etc in Williamsburg for free...However, if you want to go into certain buildings you will need to purchase a pass (their are different passes for different things)

One thing that I would recommend would be Revolutionary City is a live re-enactment that has drawn rave reviews (this is its 3rd yr)

Also, "Cry Witch" is an evening program that is supposed to be very good.

Evening Programs

For a Lantern Tour or Ghost Tour I would suggest an Independant Tour called Revolutionary Tours (I can give you the number via PM if you want it)....CW(Colonial Williamsburg) does a Legends Lantern Tour which does get you into certain buildings but from what I have heard it is a bit underwhelming....the Revolutionary Tours Lantern Tour is different then all others in Williamsburg in that about 75% of it is all historically correct and then they mix in 25% ghost stories where other tours are 100% ghost stories.....Also the tour is done by an actor if full colonial attire while portraying someone that lived in colonial times (John Rollison, I think that is the person being depicted)....

Busch Gardens is a very nice park but its a theme park

Water Country USA is a water park that is owned by Anheuser Busch

Jamestown and Jamestown Settlement would be something worth visiting...especially with last yr being the 400th anniversary.

if I can think of anything else I will let you know

I missed this before I responded to your PM. PleasePM me the number for Revolutionary Tours.

Thanks for your help.

depending on the age of your kids, you may also want to check out a day trip to Kings Dominion instead of Busch Gardens. BG is cool, and is themed after the Old World, where KD is more kids oriented, and themed after all the Nickelodeon characters. My kids (7,5,3,1) loved it, and the rides were basically just as good as BG (if you are into rides more than attractions).

KD is just outside Richmond, about 45 minutes from Williamsburg.

depending on the age of your kids, you may also want to check out a day trip to Kings Dominion instead of Busch Gardens. BG is cool, and is themed after the Old World, where KD is more kids oriented, and themed after all the Nickelodeon characters. My kids (7,5,3,1) loved it, and the rides were basically just as good as BG (if you are into rides more than attractions).

KD is just outside Richmond, about 45 minutes from Williamsburg.

more like 65 miles so it is about an hour and a little bit.

We went on a tour with these guys in Boston

http://www.historictours.com/washington/

Never made it to DC with the family but if I do, based upon the time they showed us in Boston, I'd be looking to get them in.

We did a huanted walking tour in Boston one night that was great too. Sounds like the Revolutionary Tours lantern tour would be the most similar to the one we took in Boston with the professional actor all dressed-up with the accent and stuff.

There's a Segway Night Tour that would be really cool if you could swing it.