[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Don Imus

FWmaker

Black football players are more likely to commit a crime?

It sure does seem that way.

Seriously it has to be that over 75% of the NFL players arrested in the last 2 years are black. It is probably a lot more than 75%. Now granted there are more black NFL players so you can't expect it to be 50/50 but I would say the percentage of players arrested that are black is higher than the actual percentage of black players.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many NFL players have been arrested in the past two years?

How many of those players have been black?

I don't really see what was so wrong with what he said?

LOL...that is akin to saying....how many NHL players have been arrested in the past two years?

How many of those players have been white?

Red cars get in more accidents and german shepards bite more people!!!!!

I have to disagree. Maybe that's because I am black. However I am not sure if I am offended this time. When I saw the video on CNN, I took it that he was taking a jab at racial profiling in the US. Some are saying that he may have meant that Pacman was arrested this many times because he is black, and not as a result of being black.

I just think the guy is smarter than that. Or at least I am hoping so. He did say Nappy Headed Hoes though. I dunno, but shyt like this lets us know EVERYDAY that the racism, and stereotypes against ALL people is still prominent tin this country, and threads like this help keep things in perspective.

Throwing it into the "who gives a shyt" pile is easy to do for someone who doesn't experience the kind of racism some experience on a regular basis. I won't say the obvious "You don't know what it's like, because you aren't black" statement, because I don't think that way. But a guy who obviously made a racist statement is in the news again for making another one. Like I said I didn't think it was a racist statement, but the fact that this guy is giving us a reason to talk about it , yet again let's us know the enormous amount of ignorance we are surrounded with in this country...

After watching this, not I DO know what it's like to be white....:wacko: (please excuse the short advertisement)

i took it as Imus was intimating that because Pacman was black that that would be his excuse to why he was arrested...ignoring the sh1t that he did as the reason.

LOL...that is akin to saying....how many NHL players have been arrested in the past two years?

Isn't it true that a RED car has higher insurance rate? Or is that a myth?

If we admit it or not PROFILING happens and it happens in many different ways, like it or not:

To name a few:

Young Drivers have higher insurance rates

Single people have higher insurance rates then married people

Non-Smokers have better rates then smokers do.

A young male on an inner city street corner gets "talked to" by police

A young male on a street corner in suburbia doesn't get "talked to" by police

A man is driving a few miles over the speed limit at 4pm about 1 mile from a bar and he passes a cop and the cop does nothing

A man is driving a few miles over the speed limit at 2am about 1 mile from a bar and he passes a cop and the cop pulls him over.

Edited by keggerz

What I said was that if the % of black NFL players is 75% and 95% of the arrests are black maybe something is wrong.

Why is it that almost all of the arrests have very similar circumstances?? How many of these arrests have to do with night clubs or someones circle of friends (posse) contributing to the trouble they get in?

You can't tell me that if you read about some NFL player getting busted and if you had to bet money on black or white you would lay the big money on black. It is just the way it is. Until the heavy heavy majority of arrests are not black that is the way it is.

Call it racial or whatever but it sure seems like there is some difference between black and white when it comes to NFL arrests.

Is there a difference between black and white when it comes to sprinters? When was the last time a white person won a 100 meter sprint?? I believe there are differences and if me saying that makes me racial then so be it. It has nothing to do with a good or bad person it is just the facts.

No idea what point you are trying to make here???

Seriously?

Well, then let me break it down for you. You claimed that 75% of the NFL players that get arrested are black. He was pointing out that over 65% of NFL players are black.

Now, I have absolutely no idea at all if these numbers are accurate. However, if they are then that means that black players aren't that much more likely to get arrested than white players because their arrest rate is in line with the % they make up of the group as a whole.

Hell, you freaking said the same thing yourself when you admitted that there were more black players so it shouldn't be 50/50.

Do we need an analogy?

You plant 7 red tomato plants and 3 yellow tomato plants. At harvest, you have 70 red tomatoes and 30 yellow ones. Would this imply that the red tomato plants are more prolific?

Seriously?

Well, then let me break it down for you. You claimed that 75% of the NFL players that get arrested are black. He was pointing out that over 65% of NFL players are black.

Now, I have absolutely no idea at all if these numbers are accurate. However, if they are then that means that black players aren't that much more likely to get arrested than white players because their arrest rate is in line with the % they make up of the group as a whole.

Hell, you freaking said the same thing yourself when you admitted that there were more black players so it shouldn't be 50/50.

Do we need an analogy?

You plant 7 red tomato plants and 3 yellow tomato plants. At harvest, you have 70 red tomatoes and 30 yellow ones. Would this imply that the red tomato plants are more prolific?

That just about sums it up

:wacko:

Seriously?

Do we need an analogy?

Let me break it down for you. I did not claim that 75% of the NFL players that get arrested are black. I said if 75% of ALL NFL players are black but 95% of the arrests are black maybe something is up. That is what I was saying.

I did some checking and found a list of all arrests and went back through the most recent 20. 18 of the 20 were black. The two that were not were Lofu Tatupo and Regan Mauia (a quick glance told me that 28 out of the last 30 were black). That makes 90%. I also just checked a bit on the % of NFL players that are black and found a lot of different numbers but it looks like the number is about 70%.

What Imus said is accurate just based purely on the numbers.

Seriously?

Do we need an analogy?

but what happens if 30% of the red tomatoes rot and only 10% of the yellow ones rot

wouldn't that mean that the you have a greater chance of getting a rotten red tomato vs the yellow one :wacko:

Edited by keggerz

Let me break it down for you. I did not claim that 75% of the NFL players that get arrested are black. I said if 75% of ALL NFL players are black but 95% of the arrests are black maybe something is up. That is what I was saying.

I did some checking and found a list of all arrests and went back through the most recent 20. 18 of the 20 were black. The two that were not were Lofu Tatupo and Regan Mauia (a quick glance told me that 28 out of the last 30 were black). That makes 90%. I also just checked a bit on the % of NFL players that are black and found a lot of different numbers but it looks like the number is about 70%.

:wacko:

you don't have to worry about something being up, gbpfan. It's purely due to stupidity. You forgot to think about the fact that, not just in football, but in real life, us black folks are notorious for being arrested. Maybe due to profiling. Maybe due to actually breaking the law. Making the argument for NFL players is dumb. Just as most of the shyt that they get arrested for is the direct result of a dumb decision. Jared Allen was arrested for DUI a total of 3 times. It's not because he is white, it's because he is stupid. Cedric Benson has been released by the Bears due to arrests and it's not because he is black. It's because he is stupid. Nate Newton wasn't arrested because he was black, it was because carrying 213 ponds of Josh Gordon in his van. Which IMO is real stupid.

Bottom line is there are more black players in the NFL and it just so happens to be that more of them make poor choices than the white players. The only thing that is up, is those that think there is racial profiling when it comes to NFL players, need to take a second look at the crimes. Tank Johnson wasn't arrested because he was black, it was because he was stupid. I could go on for a while on this one...

This is just one of many I read about NFL arrests..and it's a year old!

NFL Players Had 308 Arrests, Says San Diego Newspaper

The San Diego Union-Tribune has reported that NFL players have had 308 arrests and citations since 2000. The newspaper also found that 3% of the men in the league are responsible for 40% of the league's arrests. That 3% is approximately 50 men with repeat offenses. The Cincinnati Bengals lead the NFL league in arrests, with 23 so far. The NFL is currently revising its personal conduct policies to discourage behavior that results in arrests, criminal charges, and DUI offenses.

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

The report provides a breakdown, noting "of the 2.3 million inmates in custody, 2.1 million were men and 208,300 were women. Black males represented the largest percentage (35.4 percent) of inmates held in custody, followed by white males (32.9 percent) and Hispanic males (17.9 percent)."

The nation’s Hispanic population increased 1.4 million to reach 45.5 million on July 1, 2007, or 15.1 percent of the estimated total U.S. population of 301.6 million.

National and state estimates by race, Hispanic origin, sex and age released today by the U.S. Census Bureau also show that the Hispanic population exceeded 500,000 in 16 states.

Hispanics remained the largest minority group, with blacks (single race or multiracial) second at 40.7 million in 2007. The black population exceeded 500,000 in 20 states. Blacks were the largest minority group in 24 states, compared with 20 states in which Hispanics were the largest minority group

Extracting the number, blacks make up about 13.5 % of the population but black MALES alone make up 35.4% of the prison population. If you assume that about 50% of the black population is male (taking into account longer life span of women balanced by higher birth rate of boys, 105/100), then you can generally estimate that 6.75% of the population accounts for contributing 35.4% of the prison population.

I will leave the reasoniing for this to a different discussion in a different forum if someone else wants to start it. Number provided for a general framework to continue the discussion at hand. Carry on!

BTW - Anus is a doofus and I don't and never have listened to him.

It sure does seem that way.

Seriously it has to be that over 75% of the NFL players arrested in the last 2 years are black. It is probably a lot more than 75%. Now granted there are more black NFL players so you can't expect it to be 50/50 but I would say the percentage of players arrested that are black is higher than the actual percentage of black players.

Well, truth be told, you didn't actually specifically say anything you're now claiming you did. Once again, I am making no claims what-so-ever as to what the percentages are. Just simply pointing out what I'm sure you already knew and were just questioning to be an argumentative prick.

So, let's say it's 90% and 70% as you are now saying it is. Considering the relatively small sample number of arrests, it's not a big enough difference between the two percentages that it's really worth bothering with. I mean, it would take all of 3-4 of those 20 to not be black and we're at a virtual dead heat.

While 67 percent of all players in the NFL are black, there are no African-American owners and one general manager. Ozzie Newsome became the first Black General Manager of an NFL team in 2002. He works in the front office for the Baltimore Ravens.

Twenty-five players have run afoul of the law since Super Bowl XLII. That is a three-player increase from the same span following last year's championship game, according to research compiled by the San Diego Union-Tribune...

The longest stretch without an arrest or citation this offseason is a mere 11 days. The majority of 2008 incidents are related to drugs/alcohol (11) or assaults against women (seven).

Legal briefs

Here are five notable players who have gotten into legal trouble this off-season:

Minnesota OT Bryant McKinnie

Charges: Four of them, including felony aggravated battery, following a February incident outside a South Florida nightclub.

Fallout: McKinnie will likely be suspended if not cleared during his June 2 court appearance. McKinnie has four previous arrests since 2002, including one after the infamous "Love Boat" cruise with other Vikings players in 2005. McKinnie's absence would leave a massive hole in Minnesota's offensive line. The 6-foot-8, 335-pound McKinnie has started 87 consecutive games and is considered one of the NFL's best left tackles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wide receiver Chris Henry

Charges: Misdemeanor assault and criminal damage for allegedly punching a college student in the head and throwing a beer bottle through his car window.

Fallout: Six arrests/citations finally proved too many for Cincinnati, which released Henry after four tumultuous seasons. Even while on house arrest, Henry is drawing interest from at least one NFL team for a workout. But after already being suspended for eight games last season under the NFL's personal conduct policy, Henry could be banned indefinitely by commissioner Roger Goodell.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicago RB Cedric Benson

Charges: Boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest, both misdemeanors, last Saturday near Austin, Texas.

Fallout: This could get ugly. Benson insists he is the victim of police brutality after being pepper-sprayed; police claim Benson became belligerent while refusing to take a sobriety test. A court hearing is set for May 19.

Tennessee RB LenDale White

Charges: Citations for destruction of property and disobeying a police officer at a March party being throwing in his honor. Both charges are misdemeanors.

Fallout: White, a 1,110-yard rusher in 2007, has a June 2 court date scheduled in Denver after recently receiving a continuance.

Pittsburgh LB James Harrison

Charges: Simple assault and criminal mischief after allegedly attacking his girlfriend in March.

Fallout: Charges were dropped in April after Harrison completed an anger management program and his girlfriend didn't pursue pressing charges. Harrison, who had career-highs in tackles (98) and sacks (8.5) last season, was the fourth Steelers player arrested on domestic violence charges since 2006.

— Alex Marvez

All five of the "highlighted cases are black.

Here is another interesting link, but I don't have the time to pick through it:

NFL Crimes NewsBlog

Yes, but what's the economic demographics for inmates?

What's the breakdown of blacks living in or near the poverty level versus whites?

This is one argument for reparations... descendants of slaves have less resources to build on so they have a disproportionately harder struggle to succeed.

And the guy from India that came to this country 10 years ago barely speaking English and lived in a studio with his wife and three kids who now owns the Townhouse next to me and a nice little ethnic supermarket?

I was a teacher in Watts at Locke High School. I was a crusader in my 20's and wanted to help "right the wrongs". It only took two years of working in the inner city before I saw the light. If there is anyone to blame, it is the wellfare system and generations of dependence that we have allowed without contibuting back to society in any way for the "support". Sweeping a park, policing trash, working in a day care/hospital, are all things that could be done to Qualify for your check.

This also applies the the greater population (number wise) of white americans that are not under the microscope and convenient reporting distance of the press. Why go to the country when it is easier to just drive to the inner city?

I don't buy it anymore. Used to. Saw it first hand and tried to make a difference. It is broken and it is as much their attitude in the inner city as it is a broken system of addicted reliance. In MY experience, blacks are the most racially aware group in this country and are at least, if not more racist in our country (just turn on BET and watch a stand up "comedy" block. A white comic would never work again for the same type of "jokes" directed at a minority race) . And before you go there, one of my kids godfathers is black, and he agrees with this viewpoint.

And the guy from India that came to this country 10 years ago barely speaking English and lived in a studio with his wife and three kids who now owns the Townhouse next to me and a nice little ethnic supermarket?

I was a teacher in Watts at Locke High School. I was a crusader in my 20's and wanted to help "right the wrongs". It only took two years of working in the inner city before I saw the light. If there is anyone to blame, it is the wellfare system and generations of dependence that we have allowed without contibuting back to society in any way for the "support". Sweeping a park, policing trash, working in a day care/hospital, are all things that could be done to Qualify for your check.

This also applies the the greater population (number wise) of white americans that are not under the microscope and convenient reporting distance of the press. Why go to the country when it is easier to just drive to the inner city?

I don't buy it anymore. Used to. Saw it first hand and tried to make a difference. It is broken and it is as much their attitude in the inner city as it is a broken system of addicted reliance. In MY experience, blacks are the most racially aware group in this country and are at least, if not more racist in our country (just turn on BET and watch a stand up "comedy" block. A white comic would never work again for the same type of "jokes" directed at a minority race) . And before you go there, one of my kids godfathers is black, and he agrees with this viewpoint.

I have no argument at all with this. Unqualified or barely qualified hand-outs in any form, be they to the poor or to big business only delay an undesirable situation until it becomes worse.

While I think the government needs to step in before people start dying on the streets no person or business should not be subsidized to the extent that they have no reason to evolve.

You want to make it cheaper for minorities to seek higher education? Sounds great. If we'd been doing that instead of just handing out cash for making babies all along, we likely wouldn't be in the situation we're in now.

Edited by detlef