[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WANTED

TDFFFreak

There was a lot of talk about suspending disbelief with Indy 4 and it was still a bad movie...

Well, Wanted is the complete opposite. The movie is ridiculous and you absolutely must suspend most perceptions of reality. That said, it's unapologetic about crossing that line and therefore it is a ton of fun. James McAvoy is great and Angelina Jolie is smoking. This movie is violent, brutal, and loud. It is also light on story, but has a wicked sense of humor at times. This won't be for everyone, but if you want a non-superhero action flick with some cool visuals that harken back to The Matrix, this is a movie for you. Fun, mindless entertainment for adults that moves along at a quick pace. I give it a B+, one notch below Ironman for the best movie I have seen this summer so far.

Edited by TDFFFreak

Saw it on Thursday at Midnight.

Storyline was solid, and action scenes were intense.

More and more I feel I need to stick to tononator's belief of skipping every preview possible. I'd seen at least three different previews for this flick, and because of it I actually had seen a good portion of the epic action scenes.

Overall worth seeing though if you like intense action, shooter movies especially if they bend reality a bit. (ala Matrix)

Looks like Wanted pulled in 51 million this weekend. Not bad at all. I assume Wall-E was #1, but I haven't seen all the numbers yet.

Yes Walle pulled in 62.5 mill, but it was shown in 600 or so more theatres than Wanted was.

Is this something that "needs" to be seen on a big screen?

Getting to the theater is difficult these days so I'm wondering if I can wait for video?

I think it's a movie made for the big screen as are most decent action pictures. It's all about choices. Right now, the only film I have liked better than Wanted this summer was Ironman, but I have not seen Wall-E.

James McAvoy

I have unnatural man-love for this actor. He's the reason I want to see it, not Jolie so much. :wacko:

Atonement and Becoming Jane were actually OK movies, and I credit McAvoy for saving me from a hellish chick-flick experience. Wasn't bad as Mr Tumnus either.

I have unnatural man-love for this actor. He's the reason I want to see it, not Jolie so much. :wacko:

Atonement and Becoming Jane were actually OK movies, and I credit McAvoy for saving me from a hellish chick-flick experience. Wasn't bad as Mr Tumnus either.

:D Funny. That's one way I considered appraoching my original post. I thought he was fantastic in The Last King of Scotland, but was simply overshadowed by FW's performace in that movie. Once again, McAvoy was great in Wanted and with a lesser actor, I don't think it would have worked as well.

I don't love him enough to sit through Atonement or Becoming Jane though... just not my kind of movies.

More and more I feel I need to stick to tononator's belief of skipping every preview possible. I'd seen at least three different previews for this flick, and because of it I actually had seen a good portion of the epic action scenes.

it will transform your movie going experience. trailers are evil.

I don't love him enough to sit through Atonement or Becoming Jane though... just not my kind of movies.

Actually, Atonement is an unexpectedly good movie overall. This thread got the mrs and I talking and we are putting Last King of Scotland at the top of the Netflix rotation. We'll probably go to see Wanted sometime in the next couple weeks too.

Side note: IMDB has McAvoy rumored to be playing Bilbo Baggins in Del Toro's version of Tolkien's "The Hobbit".

Have no desire to see it, mainly because of the MAJOR changed from the comic.

In the comic, the premise starts the same but instead of assassins, the idea is that in the world Super Villains won. They all got smart, joined together and either publicly killed or forced into hiding all the world's Super Heroes. All of them. The world is then divided up between about 7 different "Families", or Mobs, each run by a major villain (all the Super Villains were thinly disguised versions of DC and Marvel Villains like The Joker, Lex Luthor, etc). The Fox (Catwoman), comes to get Wes after his estranged Dad "the Killer" (Deathstroke) was killed. It unfolds later into the truce between the Mobs breaking down as one tries to take out the others.

Movie might be decent as it's own idea, but I just can't stand when Hollywood changes stories from comics, and this one is major.

Actually, Atonement is an unexpectedly good movie overall. This thread got the mrs and I talking and we are putting Last King of Scotland at the top of the Netflix rotation. We'll probably go to see Wanted sometime in the next couple weeks too.

Side note: IMDB has McAvoy rumored to be playing Bilbo Baggins in Del Toro's version of Tolkien's "The Hobbit".

One of the best movies I've seen in a very long time.

I liked it. Plenty of action right off the bat. I didn't like the end because I didn't feel like the movie was over yet.

I thought the ending was the best part.

Jolie looks like she hasn't eaten in weeks, and maybe utters 20 words the entire flick.......

Decent movie- could have been better I give it a solid B

In the comic, the premise starts the same but instead of assassins, the idea is that in the world Super Villains won. They all got smart, joined together and either publicly killed or forced into hiding all the world's Super Heroes. All of them. The world is then divided up between about 7 different "Families", or Mobs, each run by a major villain (all the Super Villains were thinly disguised versions of DC and Marvel Villains like The Joker, Lex Luthor, etc). The Fox (Catwoman), comes to get Wes after his estranged Dad "the Killer" (Deathstroke) was killed. It unfolds later into the truce between the Mobs breaking down as one tries to take out the others.

Movie might be decent as it's own idea, but I just can't stand when Hollywood changes stories from comics, and this one is major.

They did simplify it, but it's still an enjoyable movie.

IIRC, Millar wrote the screenplay first. When it was optioned, he went ahead and wrote the comic version.

I thought it pretty much sucked. Agree that Jolie needs to mix in a burger or two. Chick was about as un-hot as I've ever seen her and I've always been a fan, so to speak.

None the less, the early part was a hacked rip-off of Fight Club right down the 1st person account of what a boring, crappy life dude was living. Like everything else in the movie, they just went too far with it and I found it more annoying than cool. Very much unlike Fight Club in that manner. I'd imagine the fat boss was supposed to inspire hatred towards her, not for the screenwriter and director.

I've never had a problem with suspending disbelief but I thought this was sort of lame. You can call it unapologetic, I call it, "if a little is good, a ton must be great", which like many other things, is rarely actually true. That's where a movie like those in the Bourne series blow this thing away. You're completely blown away by the action but somehow you almost believe it could be happening. In this case, you're just shaking your head and chuckling. If I want complete fantasy, I'll watch Lord of the Rings or something.

It's unfortunate, because I was quite looking forward to it.